It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Mass Grave Unearthed In Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Volunteers with shovels excavated a mass grave in the Shiite holy city of Karbala on Friday, collecting remains of the dead and calling the bodies evidence of crimes committed by Saddam Hussein. Local residents in Karbala's Mokhayem district said they suspect as many as 5,000 sets of remains are buried in the area, though they offered no immediate proof. The mass grave is the third uncovered in Iraq this week.

CBS News Link

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well, I guess most people would understand that this is yet more evidence that Saddam's removal was justified.
But it still won't shut a lot of the doubters up. They seem to have no regard for human life unless that particular person is standing against their own society, values and way of life. Woe betide anyone who uses force in their name - even if that force is justified.

It's pretty sad to see stories like this and then flick to other threads on this forum and read how people think the coalition was wrong to go into Iraq. Maybe if the people in those mass graves were members of their own families they would think differently? But whilst they sit in comfort and safety it's easy to blame thier own governments and to turn a blind eye to the many atrocities that Saddam commited.

There are going to be more and more stories like this coming out of Iraq in the near future. The anti-war people conveniently ignore them and try to turn any debate to weapons of mass destruction which smokescreens the real horror of Saddam's regime. They are oblivious to the fact that sometimes you have to take a life to save the majority and oblivious to the fact that their government has their own interests at heart.

I say give them an air ticket to Iraq and a shovel. It's easy to criticise when you aren't on the receiving end.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I tend to agree that removing Saddam Hussein was totally justified - whether WMD are found or not. I personally believe in time, evidence will be found that proves Saddam Hussein was developing, storing and planning to supply terrorists with WMD.

Tonight, Channel 4 news here in the UK showed Baath party videotape from the 70's of three suspected traitors trial and execution. The Baath party officials who were present for the reading of the court decision and death penalty applauded. Then, they had the men strapped with C-4 explosives and blown to bits one at a time.

People go on and on about the U.S. and Mr. Bush. No nation is perfect because people aren't perfect - but I'll gladly suffer the hardships of living in America or Britain anyday.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Myself was somewhat surprised by the reaction of
some people who frequent this site, so impatient and so prepared to put down the one country in the world who has done everything in its power to protect freedoms.

This country is not perfect but in reading responses one gets the impression that it is perceived as perfect, as perfectly evil.

The word scapegoat comes to mind someone to be blamed because they are not in a position to respond, in a way it is reminiscent of witch trials.

Why didn�t the UN respond to the issue of mass graves in Iraq as it did with Bosnia?

It seems clear that it was apparent though the first time the possibility was even brought up is with respect to Presidents Bush's speech calling us to war

How come just as soon as we took Baghdad was there so much effort to make the matter of WMD in Iraq seems more important than finishing the war?

Were there those who were certain that finding them was not going to be easy because they already knew Saddam Hussein had hidden them well?

A sort of standardized response has been "Yes, yes I know Saddam was a tyrant but where are the WMD"

Who made it possible for a press agency whose responsibility is to the whole Arab world too not
report the mass murders occurring in Iraq?

When the first sites were found they reported nothing it was not until after the US and UK had taken Baghdad that they began saying anything at all.

I can imagine a scenario, in which the UN was unprepared to address the atrocities of Saddam
Hussein. So as to favor the interest section
(countries) which were involved with that Regime.

We would be foolish to assume that Saddam Hussein did not have WMD, simply stated the reaction of her people. Does present evidence they were well aware
of what was happening to those who disagreed with Saddam regime.

Given the way Moslems react to such matters that
they did not react, presents that they had a powerfull motivation for doing what they did.

Can you imagine the reaction of American or British citizens that within its borders 200,000 people have been reported missing in the last 10 years?

In my opinion the conspiracy is very real but it is not related to the US as being the evil empire (or for that matter the coalition forces). Its related to someone else who is prepared to cry peace despite the fact that the dead are being piled up, one atop the other.

top topics

join