It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets End the Fantasy of "being employed" or Having a Career in America

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman
reply to post by votan

It doesn't have to be this way though if anything the Temp Agency service in my opinion should be abolished. I was hired with a good company that had values instead of hiring the temp agency they got people hired through their own means. I felt good working there and would love to go back to work for them if they call me back,
-- snipped --

edit on 7-8-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

You hit the nail on the head, there. I've been told it's different out west, but here in the Ohio Valley temp companies have never been a foot in the door to a good job. They dangle that carrot 'til just before your probationary period is about to expire and you are accused of passing gas next to the Plant Manager (sarcasm) and you're out of a job again. Possibly it isn't always a scam, but I don't know of ONE person that ever went on to permanent employment because of a temp company.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

You always take a weld test before a job welding, except for the temp agency cause that costs them too much

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I wanted to bring this to this particular forum. Most have read my initial response to this thread on page 1. Today, a day that I will never forget has brought something entirely different. A hinkiling of HOPE~

My father in-law and well that whole side of family are all Union 399 Stationary Engineers Downtown Chicago. They've all been trying to get me into the classes (Networking and smooooozing) I didn't make the cut the first time around. I was invited to a seminar, took the class
and waited. Mind you I have a very lucrative resume' to say the least. Been a lot of places and worked a lot of jobs, all successfully prior to this I HAVE NO COLLEGE EXPERIANCE some minor classes but I hate schooling, it's for the birds~. All the while I was waiting, I've been pulling in the side work (Flooring, all aplications) and working a job that provides insurance and a decent wage, I'm grateful because it's more than most are making in this economy.

Today I logged in and found that I have been placed in my first class: Electricity for Engineers I ~
I've never been happier. I DON"T HAVE THE MONEY for this class! I WILL MAKE THE MONEY! I WILL SUCCEED! I WILL NOT FAIL! I will become a Engineer and be placed into a building downtown and solidify a income to support my family and I WILL SEND MY DAUGHTER TO COLLEGE! I will give her a better tomorrow if it costs me today.

FIAT Currency, Temp Agencies, everything in this forum that has been discussed. There is always a way! Network, build, strive for that better ending on a daily basis! In the end if you don't, you just might regret not taking that leap off the edge. Better to fail and say you tried than to turn tail and walk away never trying at all.

We need more CAN DO ATTITUDES!!! Regardless of education, regardless of place in the world. Someone asks you if you can do something??? OF COARSE YOU CAN! APPLY YOURSELF! In areas you are weak, learn skills that will benefit you! BE THE FRIGGIN BALL! As bad as the economy is, there are Careers. You can succeed. DON'T GIVE IN! DO NOT LET TPTB WIN! Fight the good fight! I Believed in myself when nobody else would, I worked the network and MADE it HAPPEN!

I'm no rocket scientist, hell I'm not even that smart (Common Sense goes a long way though, heheh~) but if I can apply myself on a daily basis while the world tries to bring me down, SO CAN EVERYONE ELSE!~ That's the god damn truth~

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CornShucker They dangle that carrot 'til just before your probationary period is about to expire and you are accused of passing gas next to the Plant Manager (sarcasm) and you're out of a job again.

I was accused of attacking a supervisor with a floor cleaner. I had to learn this from the temp agency. The lady at the agency said she knew it was a lie and offered me a dangerous job with ADM

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
I worked the network and MADE it HAPPEN!

People with even a modicum of power avert their eyes from me. I'm not welcome in the network. I'm barely excepted among my peers. I do, however, get along great with those with less going on than what I have. I did look into being a social worker. I realized that neither my coworkers nor my clients would tolerate my honesty.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I had to go through a temp agency for my current job. During the temp process i was making less than $9/hr for constantly moving factory work. After getting hired on through the company I make about $5/hr more. The temp process does suck and I do think it is a sham.

The only difference between being a slave and being free is that one of them gets to choose their master. The people running the show now only give enough to keep the majority complacent enough to submit to their devices. It's turning into egypt all over again. They will have their reward.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

reply to post by WatchRider

You always take a weld test before a job welding, except for the temp agency cause that costs them too much

WRONG. I have all my city and guilds in MIG, ARC(mma), TIG, OXY ACCETE and used to be G6 coded (lasts 4 years)
The weld test often required by companies is usually (for example) an overhead butt joint done in ARC.

This is NOT a test that requires a fee. it's a test of your skill and competence and easily checked by the various
methods for flaws using for instance an X ray or a simple splice and acid etch.This costs nearly nothing.and the
employer foots the bill (they use the test's in house anyway so its common practice and not expensive to them)

YOU as a welder are expected to pay for your qualifications BUT I don't agree with the G6 test lasting only
4 years especially if you have been welding as your career for over 4 years as your likely to perfect your work
rather than lose your skill.THIS IS EXPLOITATION.

Alas paperwork and skill will not guarantee any job. bloody agency's (UK) I HATE THEM

edit on 7/8/2013 by stealthyaroura because: arc eye

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthyaroura

I am into pipe welding for oil and gas you always test for the gas company you always have to test no exceptions the gas company dont care if you worked for chief oil and gas you will test for williams gas if you want to work for them the API requires it and so does every gas and oil company in AMerica

Since I dont have enough money yet to have my own rig I been working as a welder helper and in other metal shops I have structural credentials that I had to pay for on my own but those were just one of those broaden my horizens type deal but I have had to test in all process at one point of another even if it is just NDT

edit on 7-8-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
They have figured all the angles. When I was first starting out, wanting to buy a home, you know, the American Dream, the interest rates were at 13%. With 20% down payment.

This was great for people who had lots of savings, and bought homes when they cost like $45,000 on average.
That would be the pre-boomers. I am at the tail end of the baby-boom era and have been screwed left and right my entire working life.

You'd have to go all the way back to the 1940s and early 50s to find people who "had it made", as a wide group of middle class.

But, there are still a lot of people who have money in this country. I'm not sure how they made it, but they are entering retirement with huge motorhomes, second vacation homes, fat boats, and swanky autos.
I have no idea how they got this when the economy has sucked for almost two decades other than real estate flipper bubble. You can't build an entire economy now on healthcare and insurance, can you?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
i haven't started to read this thread yet but is this one of those posts that states the following:

1. if you are successful then you are part of the problem
2. if you are have a happy, financially\emotionally\mentally rewarding and stimulating career then you are stuck in the matrix.
3. The only way to be free is to stop living in a house and go live on the streets.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Actually its more about how temp agencies eff with workers and all kinds of other stuff thanks for the uninformed opinion though I gave you a star

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

reply to post by opethPA

Actually its more about how temp agencies eff with workers and all kinds of other stuff thanks for the uninformed opinion though I gave you a star

I would 100% agree with the temp agencies screwing people but they are just one of many business that screw people on a daily basis.

It's not an uninformed opinion but thanks for the star.
As I stated I haven't started reading the thread yet so I asked if it contains any of the normal BS some people post here..where success + happiness = you doing it wrong.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The part I don't understand is the beginning explaining how this is happening within the US.. I mean, have you all not read the news other than your own country's paper? Everyone's economy is failing all over the world and it's today's people that's doing it. Who complains about Wal-Mart expecting to make a decent living off stocking shelves half that was completely funny to read.

If you work a 9-5 job expect a #ty life, plain and simple.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
I read it somewhere else on here, paraphrasing but: The Baby Boomers get the houses, careers, Social Security and pensions. Meanwhile, they leave the 30 and under crowd with a huge deficit and a broken economy

Sorry, but that couldn't be more wrong. I am a Baby Boomer and I will never be able to retire. I tell people that my retirement will be when I keel over at my desk, and I'm only half kidding.

You have the opinion that you do because you are obviously too young to know what it was like in this country up to now. I started working full time right out of high school in 1974. My first job was at the same company for 3 years, and then I decided to quit, and it took me exactly 3 days to find another job. I worked for 3 years at the second job, quit, and it took ONE interview before I was hired at another at a higher pay rate. That's the way it was.

Back then, companies not only offered higher wages, but also incredible health and dental insurance benefits, stock options (which I bought my first car with), bonuses and more, to attract workers. Employment agencies operated 180 degrees from what they do now. They hired temp workers who were told that the job was only temporary, with no benefits. However they paid about 3 times the salary of full timers.

I'm not saying it was a utopia by any means, but if you could go back there now, you would think it was. If you wanted to work and had any skills whatsoever, you could.

Little by little, as China open up to the west, companies pushed Washington to pass laws allowing them to send jobs overseas, and why not? Hundreds of millions of workers willing to accept one tenth of the pay of American workers, work overtime and weekends at base pay, almost no safety laws or building codes, and no benefits whatsoever. It was a no-brainer. Ross Perot, if you remember him, warned us that NAFTA would make the situation worse - MUCH worse. But we voted for Clinton anyway, and today we are paying for it.

In 1999 I got my first IT position, making the most money I've ever made. Even today, I'm making less, and more times than not, I get laid off within a year. Instead of days to find a job, it now takes months, or even years. I've accepted lower pay, longer hours, minimal to no health coverage, and no benefits just to stay employed, and now my health is suffering for it.

Pretty much all of our manufacturing has left the country for good. Most of the IT jobs have gone to India. I worked for a very big software company (yes, THAT one!) as a contractor, and everyone I dealt with outside of the 7 people in our office was in India. I made barely enough to survive, had horrible benefits, no holidays, sick time, or vacations.

ETA: In reference to your statement quoted, at one point things got so bad for me I was forced to sell my house. I have no pension, no retirement savings, because it was all spent trying to survive when unemployment benefits ran out, and I am comvinced that I will not see a dime of Social Security. So no, Baby Boomers don't have it all.

Millions are out of work, and this is all the younger people have ever known, and therefore you blame previous generations for what happened, as though we used up all the jobs like a kid stealing from their parents' liquor cabinet. We are no more responsible for the lack of jobs than you are for the NDAA, drones, and NSA spying.
edit on 8/7/2013 by AntiNWO because: slow brain cells.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Yeah I guess sometimes in every thread things go a little crazy but I think this helps a thread develop an Identity. The point I really want to drive home is that the idea of the career in America is dying this next generation is not going to be able to do things the way the other generations were able to (im not pointing a finger it is the truth though not saying their fault) I am saying this is a complex problem with many factors. I think getting rid of temp agencies would be great as well

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I haven't missed a beat since 1988. I find niches, and fulfill the need. Somethings are short term, and some long. I am not wealthy, but I have all I need. My mantra: balance.

If I were looking to work for someone besides myself, I say enter the medical profession. Rad-techs and vocational nurses make very decent wages... Even through temp agencies.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

reply to post by opethPA

Yeah I guess sometimes in every thread things go a little crazy but I think this helps a thread develop an Identity. The point I really want to drive home is that the idea of the career in America is dying this next generation is not going to be able to do things the way the other generations were able to (im not pointing a finger it is the truth though not saying their fault) I am saying this is a complex problem with many factors. I think getting rid of temp agencies would be great as well

I think for a certain age the idea of career isn't dying, it's dead.
I just turned 40 and my sister is 28. All my peer group are stable and succeeding in their chosen fields. (IT and Engineering)
My sister and her friends on the other hand..it's horrible what her group is going through.
It's beyond desperate for that age.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Im only 27 and having a difficult time staying ahead I am being forced to leave my home because it is a dying place to seek better opportunities elsewhere far far away everything I have ever been told growing up as a teen in regards to jobs careers and what to do has turned out to be not true for my time I do not blame baby boomers this is a very complex deal I am trying to collect my thoughts into a more concise manner illustrating or mapping out how we got here and where we are going there is so much to it

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

I hear you pal but maybe I misunderstood your initial post?
I too got the paperwork mainly cos I thought it may help and I was offered the chance to get it for free
so I thought what the hell why not.
I have never had to pay for any test that an employer has asked me to perform.

But then I have never worked the rigs so that may be the case.I have never come across it myself though.
and when ndt has been needed the in house firm foot the bill. again this may differ in your line of work
as pipe fitting is in itself a different job than say fabricating structural steel supports say.

so yeah I kind of agree with you that if this is a career choice then expect to pay for your paperwork(which obviously needs actual weld tests to be performed)
Good luck it's a great job and the pay rates reflect the skill involved. you sound like your on ya way to a great future.
I hope you do well,nothing beats working alongside the old hands to get that insight and knowledge.

I am looking for the exact same scenario. hell I would do it for free if it guaranteed me a job after some time.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwoInThePink
The part I don't understand is the beginning explaining how this is happening within the US.. I mean, have you all not read the news other than your own country's paper? Everyone's economy is failing all over the world and it's today's people that's doing it. Who complains about Wal-Mart expecting to make a decent living off stocking shelves half that was completely funny to read.

If you work a 9-5 job expect a #ty life, plain and simple.

That is new-think. The old paradigm was that nearly every job paid a living wage. People were known to have fathers who were clerks in a dry goods store who were able to own a home and raise a family.
Repairmen, salesmen, clerks at banks, or the grocery store all made a living wage in the past.
The notion that we should not 'expect' that some jobs be able to afford a person a living from 'stocking shelves' is
a new take. The social contract between businesses and their employees, who are also each others CUSTOMERS, is what is broken. Until that is fixed, nothing will ever change the downward spiral of temp jobs and low expectations.

edit on 7-8-2013 by PaperbackWriter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join