It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets End the Fantasy of "being employed" or Having a Career in America

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

wish I had the time to volunteer without pay, but when I do, I have my own charity foundation with me and my buddies we go homeless on the weekend of veterans day to raise homeless veteran awareness in my city a handful of my buddies and myself raised more then $12,000 for the event last year. Unfortunately I do not work for free, this is called slavery.
edit on 7-8-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

wake up ! It was the union democrats that 'got theirs' NOT conservative republicans

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I went to college but didn't finish. I have a skilled trade (locksmith) that is not common compared to other skilled labor jobs. There are plenty of skilled trades that are common yet still make good money in the right locations. I have a friend with a heating and cooling company and he charges $85 an hour. No employees, just subs some stuff. Plumbers charge less but still good money. Electricians at $28.
A couple of weeks ago there was 4 pages of help wanted. Not all good jobs, but some pay well with benefits and promotion potential. The problem here is housing costs but a lot of people commute to further out where its cheaper to live. The price one must pay. There are a lot of college degrees that do pay well. And there are certainly degrees that are useless.
I think these days people expect instant gratification and want a house right away, a nice car right away, promotions right away..... the younger generations have short attention spans due to their babysitters..... computers, smart phones, the many channels on tv...... sensory overload. Everyone is ADD. "I want it all, and I want it NOW". So much of the work ethic has changed. No one is willing to put in the time and is looking for shortcuts to fast rewards.
Right now management has the upper hand, but you have to be upper management. Join a union. Start your own company. Find a partner or two or more. Find a niche and make the best of it. Consider yourself lucky when you can instead of being a Prima Donna.
Don't be afraid to move if you are in the wrong place for your skills, and you better have skills! Too many people stay in the wrong place and whine. That isn't what made America what it is or even how America grew..... Head West! Or East! South, North.... find out where you are needed. But you must have skills that make you needed.
Libraries are free. There are a lot of educational programs that are now free on the internet. Learn how to speak and spell. Too many tattoos? Don't got no good grammar? Wear your pants halfway down your ass? And you want a good job with good benefits... you better create your own business maybe. America has been through depressions before. More than most people are aware of.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by acacko

I think the problem presented is beyond one side or the other. I really do in the end I think it is going to be the ability of greater minds in the end to re engineer better solutions I hope in some way we all can serve a function in this but as fantastic as this may sound, I do not see pointing fingers one way or the other as a beginning to problem solving. What do you think about temp agencies, fast food, wal mart, and educated people taking chitty jobs including war vets, those that stripped their way through college, those that put it all out there to try and have a career, and found something else instead?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jaxnmarko

I think these days people expect instant gratification and want a house right away, a nice car right away, promotions right away..... the younger generations have short attention spans due to their babysitters..... computers, smart phones, the many channels on tv...... sensory overload. Everyone is ADD. "I want it all, and I want it NOW". So much of the work ethic has changed. No one is willing to put in the time and is looking for shortcuts to fast rewards.

What makes you think this? This is absurd to me I served with a lot of Marines that are having really really hard times including myself sometimes and more then half of my old unit have been homeless at one point or another do you think that I took priorty over new cars I cant afford over the hotel room I couldnt afford to sleep in at one point or another? If this is your outlook on today's youth I would like you to present some optimistic outlook on how obtainable employment is on the rise I would like you to show me that burger king wages, temp agency wages, or under the table wages will support one man even without child today and into the future without A government assistance and B without the fear of surviving and not. Unless of course this idea of this type of survival is something you face everyday and champion by a well made career anyone can obtain.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
The US economy is in shambles! This thread is a perfect example of what's wrong with America. Many here remember when one parent could support the whole household one check, which would include paying the mortgage, food, fuel, clothing, entertainment and school all while mom was at home attending the kids. The US was in a manufacturing boom. People invested their lives to company's lived fairly well, put money in the savings account and went out to the ball games. Police officers acted like police officers, a dollar would go a long way, anyone remember gasoline under $1.00. What happened? - Politics, Power, Greed! They gave our jobs away because people wanted equal pay for equal jobs. The billionaires of the country would not have it. The labor laws across the pond work in a very different dynamic. Why pay you $15.00 hr in the US to make screws, along with insurance, pensions, and social security, when we can pay $2.00 hr for the very same job with no benefits. Plus the chances of getting sued are exponentially less across the pond. Times have changed dramatically and our society is paying the price each day that passes. We no longer produce anything, manufacturing are the days of yesterday. Employment numbers are cooked, and the new economy statement is this; Okay we know all this is happening but how's it affecting you? If you're working what does it matter, who cares-is the new attitude in America live with it!

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by RobertDeniro

I appreciated what you just posted I actually read it twice before commenting. What do you think about how it is all going to work in another 3 years or so? What do you think about the current state of "occupations" in the USA do you think that this next generation will tighten belts and do what the last generation did or do you think something else is going to happen? I think something else is going to happen I really am curious to hear what others have to say when you strip the normal jargon and put BS aside.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman

I appreciated what you just posted I actually read it twice before commenting. What do you think about how it is all going to work in another 3 years or so? What do you think about the current state of "occupations" in the USA do you think that this next generation will tighten belts and do what the last generation did or do you think something else is going to happen? I think something else is going to happen I really am curious to hear what others have to say when you strip the normal jargon and put BS aside.

In my honest opinion we're going to get more of the same, a false sense of hope in the return of the US of yester year which will never happen. The game has changed dramatically for the worse in every aspect that we call life. The best the next generation can do is remove the politicians in power and gain back the people's voice and demand change. Easier said than done! The US is juggling 100 plates representing our economy in the air while balancing on a wooden chair off of one leg, the question becomes how long can they juggle and balance before the plates come crashing down?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

I dont have answers but I often stay awake at night thinking about the future because the present I live in does not make enough to take care of those that I love and care about most. Insult to injury just to pay bills and not make a future I am heading to wyoming from pennsylvania soon just to help, i dont have the capital to do anything on my own yet and it is hard to save and I do not have kids yet, when my mom got sick it drained me working under the table, when i was in the service my little brother needed college money. I have an emotional attachment to this topic because I have been through so much at 27 and have nothing to show for it. LOL I have already been criticized for grammar in this thread and cannot lie I am a very angry person, but its my own deal take a look at some of my paintings and yould probably say yeah this marine is p1ssed

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Just start your own business. If possible maybe a website that makes money. What do you know a lot about that you could sell in the form of a site membership, or ebook or training course or something. Do a website on that and start to build it. It will be challenging but chances are you could start to make some money and make a living doing that.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I dont think making a web site is the answer most people myopic enough to read and subscribe will run out of money to bleed forth to the guy providing this info, this OP is not about that although some do believe fast food will save the country, read the OP what do you think about temp agencies and the future of jobs in America even if you are not an American?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
It aint my fault - I'm a boomer - I didn't tell those jokers in the east to raise my taxes every year and spend them on the great death (war) machine - ...'beware of the military industrial complex '...(not exact quote) Ike Eisenhower.

I doubt if my vote ever counted - since the entire voting apparatus is fraudulent - selection would be a better word.
Need to old school w/ paper votes.

The beast in the east might have assisted the great migration of jobs to the orient.
They could have easily made a tax eligible deduction for those that stayed - but they chose to do nuthin but lip service the same as they do now.
They represent the agenda of the billionaires club.
Attempting to change things back to the America I knew is a like pushing an elephant uphill.
They have been cutting a piece at a time and now their is only a few of us that remember the good ol' USofA.

The school system preaches and the kids fall into line.
I'm sure there are a lot of communist that came out of the 80's and 90's school system which my kids were a part of, I guess it must have started w/ the teaching of evolution - core curriculum indoctrination - teachers need to push back as well as the parents. I have a daughter that teaches kindergarten.

It's easy to say the boomers did it - well the fact is the unfederal reserve act of 1913 started this turn of events - they are the real culprits - for starters Woodie 'the treasonous' Wilson :
I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men.

the cabal believes in debt, sickness, death and don't even think about breathing their air - of course all resources are shrinking - right - no food no water no air.
These are the gold collar criminals that have taken from the common folks so that they can have their McMansion and Mcyacts and Mcplanes.

The boomers are not the reason - look beyond the pale.

ya listening - NSA

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I might get flamed for this but...You can still get a small piece of the proverbial 'pie' in America. You have to be willing to put in the time to get where you want to go though. No one is going to hand anything to you anymore. A few smart decisions and a little financial planning go a long way. People want everything. Maybe instead of buying that new pair of Oakleys or Nikes people could save their money and go to a trade school. BAM you get through a trade school you have something you can do for life that will at least get you into lower middle class status. Then turn around and double down on a degree from any reputable college and then you could get into middle to upper middle class. Sure you have to give some of your life away and keep your head in the books. Big effing deal? Your quality of life will go up exponentially after you're done.

Source: That's my life. Done on my own dime. With every second of spare time available.

MOTF!

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by acacko
reply to post by MystikMushroom

wake up ! It was the union democrats that 'got theirs' NOT conservative republicans

right...I guess there is no correlation to declining union membership to declining standards of living...the conservative republicans are for the wealthy, at 60 years old now, I have seen what they have done for decades to enrich corporations and the wealthy, while screwing the regular joe trying to make a living. America is turning into the country before there were unions.....unfortunately, just like it was back then, it's going to take violence to get the corporate masters to cough up decent pay...back then companies hired, what were called, "goon squads" to beat the crap out of, and even kill striking workers. this was going on all over the nation, because of the extremely low wages, kids were going hungry, moms and pops were working 12 to 16 hours a day just to live. my grandmother worked 2 jobs, and then went home and ironed other peoples clothes to make a few cents more a day...you want change, those corporate bastards are not going to hand it to you, in fact they'll do everything they can to stop you including violence....
edit on 7-8-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The simple truth is... If you're talented, you'll get the job and the check. Heck you'll even get to choose what job you want... I don't feel sorry for people who won't read a book... Which now days is a large majority. It's up to each of us individually to better ourselves, not big brother, not institutionalized education and not your neighbors.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
I might get flamed for this but...You can still get a small piece of the proverbial 'pie' in America. You have to be willing to put in the time to get where you want to go though. No one is going to hand anything to you anymore. A few smart decisions and a little financial planning go a long way. People want everything. Maybe instead of buying that new pair of Oakleys or Nikes people could save their money and go to a trade school. BAM you get through a trade school you have something you can do for life that will at least get you into lower middle class status. Then turn around and double down on a degree from any reputable college and then you could get into middle to upper middle class. Sure you have to give some of your life away and keep your head in the books. Big effing deal? Your quality of life will go up exponentially after you're done.

Source: That's my life. Done on my own dime. With every second of spare time available.

MOTF!

no one is going to hand anything to you anymore???....just because the wall street journal, or fox news, or the talking heads in the financial media, tells you everyone is lazy, and being handed everything, doesn't make it true. are there bums, yes, always have been....but, the vast majority are working their ass off for crap wages...and let me ask you something...how much enthusiasm do you think a worker has for his job being paid minimum wage, working part time, no benefits, with no hope of getting ahead...I guess in your world, all those workers should just put a big smile on their face, and keep steppin' and fetchin', and just be glad that they are so blessed that you would provide them with the privilege of working for you.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
I read it somewhere else on here, paraphrasing but: The Baby Boomers get the houses, careers, Social Security and pensions. Meanwhile, they leave the 30 and under crowd with a huge deficit and a broken economy.

I guess the, "As long as I get mine" conservative/Republican mindset really worked in the long term. Thanks 55+ folks for believing in "trickle down economics" -- you've left a wonderful legacy.

Edit to add: I probably won't ever have children because this country is so screwed up. I can't in good conscious bring a life into this mess, considering I could never give it the quality of life I had growing up.
edit on 6-8-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

BINGO!

the boomers, who allowed and contributed more to this mess than anyone! they got.
1. affordable housing (when they worked avg house was way cheaper--$30,000)
2. food, could feed a family on $100 a month. that took 2 carts to fill.
3. wage high enough to support a family.. (mon - fri , or else it was overtime)
4. company PAID the healthcare.. PAID FOR IT ALL
5. company PAID for retirement.. PAID FOR IT ALL
6. a guy could afford a real yearly (Griswold style) vacation.
7. etc., etc., etc,.

Wife's Grandfather--
Electrician- San Diego. built the convention center, wild animal park, etc. :

1. he made $20 (+)/hr -----> in the 70's ** WAGE, if you can find work today is the same**
2. his house cost $30,000 ** house just sold for $600,000.. (who can afford that today and a family?)
3. truck $3,000 ** new GMC 3/4 ton decked out --$50,000
4. grocery bill $50/mo for family if 6. ** now, try $600 (for my family of 4, and we don't get steak too often)

Dude was able to buy an rv, apartment complexes, pay for 4 kids college, have REAL vacations every year,

the people born post 1970..

SCREWED COMPLETELY..

unless you either:
1. work for the govt.
2. start a company that sells/contracts to the govt
3. have your business financed/backed by the govt
4. educated by the govt (loans, grants, etc)
5. work for a company that gets tax breaks/kickbacks/etc
6. mooch off a parent who does/did work for one of the above
7. live off of a boomer. (inheritance)
8. or live off govt dole
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

YIKES!

edit on 7-8-2013 by HanzHenry because: internet conection

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
So what needs to happen to turn the tables around or steer the economy or employment into a positive direction? Lets focus on that. We all know the issues (atleast most of us).

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

That funny. I've worked plenty of dead end jobs. Minimum wage where you aren't appreciated at all. You seem flabbergasted at what I said, but its true. And when I said they aren't handing it out anymore I was talking about how 40 years ago you could just go to work and work your ass off and support a family on your wages alone. Sorry if you misconstrued that.

In my world people should do what they need to do to get ahead. Not necessarily being happy about their deadend job but at least having some sort of plan to better themselves. You don't have a place to complain if you think you can make it on minimum wage. Do something for yourself.

MOTF!
edit on 7-8-2013 by MessOnTheFED! because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

Let me start the response with, "that sucks".
I have backgrounds in Metal Fabrication, Welding, Commercial Transport Vehicles, Networks, Telecom, PCs, Hydraulics, IT Engineering, LE, Criminal Justice and some others, so I understand how hard it is to get into some fields.

But. even in my area, it seems that lots of people were let go as the company braces for impacts yet unknown of Govt control and a slowed economy.
You gotta ask yourself, if you owned a business, and you had 50 people working for you, would you rather let 20 go to control costs to stay competitive and weather the storm, or keep everyone on and go down in a blaze of glory.

As for why are companies turning to Temp Agencies??? Simple, the cost of doing business is going up, while demand is either stagnant or down. The company is doing what is necessary to stay open.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join