It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Lets End the Fantasy of "being employed" or Having a Career in America

page: 5
59
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Answer
 


Congrats. I hope your charmed life continues.


Charmed schmarmed. I work my ass off 55-60 hours a week and deal with a ton of stress. It's not a physically demanding job but it is a psychological nightmare.

Most high-paying jobs are that way for a reason. There are plenty of days that I wish I could go back to an easier but more physical form of labor... then I have to remind myself how much I get paid.

It's easy to judge a person based on their current place in life but I've held the following jobs:

Machinist
US Marine Corps Infantry
Garage grease monkey
Retail Loss Prevention
Networking
Lawn Service
Home Depot night stocker

If you don't like your current life, change it.




posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Answer
 


Maybe it has nothing to do with a sense of "deserving". I can frame, sheetrock, roof, floor, tile..... I have the ability to do lots of things. I do not have the stomach for many things within my ability. I could sell morons things they do not need easily, but I will not lower myself to that. I have been told I could sell a bag of ice to an eskimo, but I could not live with myself for doing it. I will not rip people off, I will not use my fellow brothers and sisters as stepping stones....

Maybe that is the problem. I care too much about people I do not know. Maybe that is the problem of all those these days that can not "succeed". The cut throat mentality just doesn't jive with us.



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Answer

Originally posted by supremecommander
reply to post by Answer
 


Also, there are a lot of people who have "impressive" resumes unlike yours, and they can't even get a CALL BACK from hiring managers.

You have a fortunate lot in life. Be glad.

Also, realize that you are disconnected from the reality on the ground for a high % of Americans....YOUNG and OLD.




edit on 6-8-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)


You highlight another point I should have made. Sometimes you have to look outside your qualified field.

I've known plenty of people who stay unemployed for an extended period of time simply because they're holding out for the job they think they deserve. Start thinking outside the box. I actually moved to a different state to find better opportunities.

I never thought I would get into sales but it has worked for me. If you're not finding anything maybe it's time to look elsewhere.


Don't direct that comment at me sir. I am in business for myself.



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Answer


If you don't like your current life, change it.


ah, and here you and I agree!!

That's where people lose me, or they stray away, is when I suggest change!

Small steps towards the bigger picture weigh tons more than standing still!



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Answer
 


Maybe it has nothing to do with a sense of "deserving". I can frame, sheetrock, roof, floor, tile..... I have the ability to do lots of things. I do not have the stomach for many things within my ability. I could sell morons things they do not need easily, but I will not lower myself to that. I have been told I could sell a bag of ice to an eskimo, but I could not live with myself for doing it. I will not rip people off, I will not use my fellow brothers and sisters as stepping stones....

Maybe that is the problem. I care too much about people I do not know. Maybe that is the problem of all those these days that can not "succeed". The cut throat mentality just doesn't jive with us.


I didn't say you should do sales. My point is that you can find a job if you keep an open mind.

I don't rip anyone off. I help people find solutions to their needs and wants. Just because I profit from that doesn't make the process a bad one.



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Answer
 


I dont think internet forums on cellular devices is a marketable skill you must of been admin to knock on grammer thanks for the tip. Unfortunately this thread isnt about my badtypingskillz its more about what what I said in the op



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander

Originally posted by Answer

Originally posted by supremecommander
reply to post by Answer
 


Also, there are a lot of people who have "impressive" resumes unlike yours, and they can't even get a CALL BACK from hiring managers.

You have a fortunate lot in life. Be glad.

Also, realize that you are disconnected from the reality on the ground for a high % of Americans....YOUNG and OLD.




edit on 6-8-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)


You highlight another point I should have made. Sometimes you have to look outside your qualified field.

I've known plenty of people who stay unemployed for an extended period of time simply because they're holding out for the job they think they deserve. Start thinking outside the box. I actually moved to a different state to find better opportunities.

I never thought I would get into sales but it has worked for me. If you're not finding anything maybe it's time to look elsewhere.


Don't direct that comment at me sir. I am in business for myself.


Whenever I quote a comment, I'm responding to the statement and using a proverbial "you" for whomever we happen to be speaking about. I only speak directly to a poster when it's a clear personal dialogue back and forth, like right now. No offense intended as I was not implying anything about you directly.



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Answer
 


Yeah, you are right. When I think of sales, I think of the scumbags trying to sell dreams to people that cannot afford them these days. Real estate and new vehicle sales. Sorry for my harsh judgement, personal experience taints objectiveness.



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman
reply to post by Answer
 


I dont think internet forums on cellular devices is a marketable skill you must of been admin to knock on grammer thanks for the tip. Unfortunately this thread isnt about my badtypingskillz its more about what what I said in the op


That attitude trickles down to other things in your life, Brotherman. Just trying to help you out.

Applying a sense of organization and professionalism to everything you do can only benefit you. You should know that from your time in the Corps.



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy
 


I did take advantage of it, it still gets veterans no where it really doesn't i graduated school two times and also a technical trade school, whats next helmets to hardhats lol its too bad they cant take you unless your local unions don't have slots and if they don't then you can pocket a promise your on the list.



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman
 


Did you go to school for school's sake or actually find a trade and or career you wanted to do? For a while I went to school because I wanted my MBA. It was worthless. I opted to finishes out and flesh out my current abilities along with opening doors along upward movement.

So I have a hard time thinking you utilized the great benefit and still ended up with nothing unless you went to school and partied on the Government's dime...hell I did the first year I got out.



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
My grandfather was in WW2 he was at Omaha Beach Normandy D-day. My grandmother worked at a military tank plant. She built parts for the bombs that were dropped on Japan. After the war ended they worked in the auto industry. Neither had higher then an 8th grade education. They retired and lived out their days comfortably. In my 37 years on this earth I've watched everything they fought and worked for in this country be destroyed by greed. There is nothing left for my generation. The corruption in this country runs deep. Neither the right nor left have our best interest at heart. They are owned and controlled by the rich.



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Answer
 


I tend to disagree, I have held very successful jobs including yankee white and a nice job as a protective services agent for other people in high positions in all kinds of fields, either way doesn't secure you neat little careers like my op is talking about. I may have a presidential letter from Bush and all kinds of other nifty awards for valor in Fallujah and other places, sad bit is, simply, no one cares about that if you just want to make some welds. Enough about me though this OP is not about me it is about the deteriorating idea of a career in America. I am surviving where others are not surviving isn't even comfortable but what about the futures of those just surviving considering the options?

On a personal note directed to you, Semper Fi and thank you for your service I mean you no malice or disregard I really do not

Edit: when I say yankee white I do not mean the unit, I mean the designation in the field (Baghdad) in regards to presidential protection
edit on 7-8-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-8-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Answer
 


After reading your post I am motivated to read the book How to Win Friends and Influence People. I' m
introverted and that hurts my job search as does not having a driver's license and the first thing that pops up when my name is Googled is an arrest.


edit on 7-8-2013 by jrod because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome
 


I agree my WW2 grandpa says the same things all the time and often tells me he worries of my future, he often says he regrets and is happy I do not have children as he knows I cannot afford them.



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy
 


I am not you and I have said enough about me in this thread and others, what say you in regards to the OP?



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman
reply to post by Answer
 


I tend to disagree, I have held very successful jobs including yankee white and a nice job as a protective services agent for other people in high positions in all kinds of fields, either way doesn't secure you neat little careers like my op is talking about.


To your original point, I agree completely. The idea of working at the same place for 30 years until retirement is an outdated concept that hasn't been realistic since the early 90's.

Survival today is based on versatility and being a quick learner so you're able to go from job to job with little trouble. My parents don't understand how I've gotten where I am today because they're stuck in that old "find a good career and let your employer take care of you" mindset. The only security you can rely on is what you build for yourself.



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman
 


I found a viable and needed industry that I enjoyed. I trained for it and learned all I could. I even volunteered my free time (with out pay! GASP!) to learn more. I know it is a growing industry where my skill set has some ground until at least 2020. From that point on, I know it will be touch and go.

As another just posted, it is about being versatile and I would add aware. Aware of how things are going.



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
reply to post by Answer
 


After reading your post I am motivated to read the book How to Win Friends and Influence People. I' m
introverted and that hurts my job search as does not having a driver's license and the first thing that pops up when my name is Googled is an arrest.


edit on 7-8-2013 by jrod because: (no reason given)


That's a good book to read. Read as many as you can about effective communication and how to talk to people. I've been an employment recruiter and a great resume isn't worth the paper it's printed on without good people skills.

Most of those god-awful websites are money-making tools. You can pay them to have your information removed so it won't pop up on the google search. I was arrested for DWI and had to pay 4 websites to remove my mugshot/name. It sucks but it's worth the money.



posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Answer

Originally posted by Brotherman
reply to post by Answer
 


I tend to disagree, I have held very successful jobs including yankee white and a nice job as a protective services agent for other people in high positions in all kinds of fields, either way doesn't secure you neat little careers like my op is talking about.


To your original point, I agree completely. The idea of working at the same place for 30 years until retirement is an outdated concept that hasn't been realistic since the early 90's.

Survival today is based on versatility and being a quick learner so you're able to go from job to job with little trouble. My parents don't understand how I've gotten where I am today because they're stuck in that old "find a good career and let your employer take care of you" mindset. The only security you can rely on is what you build for yourself.


I tend to agree with this assessment of yours as well, I will say though experience has taught me something in the skilled trade I am in with now. For a minimum for an entry level job they require in most positions in 100 miles from me between 3 to 5 years experience how does one obtain 3-5 years experience if the entry level job requires this amount of time. Join the union helmets to hardhats what (hint this usually takes more then a year for consideration)? I will say that being homeless working under the table living in slums cash only efficiency apartments, park benches, and all kinds of other things make me a bit angry with doing things the way I was taught to know as the right way took a bit of time before punching someone in the mouth started becoming the right answer because I was tired of getting beat up. This OP is not about me though, I am surviving today and tomorrow but the future for me when I am not able to care for myself in the same capacity what then? I am not sure where you stand on the issue I am trying to talk about here instead I keep getting that irritating noise (not necessarily from you) of people wanting to give me advice about not having a job this is not the point it really isn't I usually do better with a rifle and a target package i am not one for speaking to others very well I am not a very catchy persuasive guy I am really not, really.I know you are not picking on me, so do not take my words this way.



new topics

top topics



 
59
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join