It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets End the Fantasy of "being employed" or Having a Career in America

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I think it has to do with population. There is just too many people and not enough need. No such thing as infinite growth in a finite world. Everyone cant have a high paying job especially when there is such greed and currency hording by the rich.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynx
I think it has to do with population. There is just too many people and not enough need. No such thing as infinite growth in a finite world. Everyone cant have a high paying job especially when there is such greed and currency hording by the rich.

It has nothing to do with population or supply and demand, every American can have a job and there still will always be a need for all those people working. You're telling me those people that work at one job don't buy things from people who work from another???

The greed part I will agree with because why pay Americans when you can pay slave wages for cheap products to illegal immigrants and overseas factories to get crappy products??? Why don't we tax the hell out of companies that set up shop overseas and import their products back over here? or hit companies with crippling fines for hiring illegal immigrants?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynx

Five minutes worth of Google searching on things such as NAFTA and other free trade agreements would enlighten you.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

I never have trouble finding work my self. People just don't know how to present themselves or have very little skills or experience to speak of. In 2 months I got hired and quit 4 jobs until two months or so ago settling on car sales.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy
LOL seriously hearing some of the responses is gut busting funny. When I was your age in a good economy and no inflation I got an education at a community college for 12 grand

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
People always piss on the younger generations. Makes me sick. People pissed on my generation when I was young, I tried not to let it hurt me, but it did. Older jerks running their mouth because I didn't enlist, and I didn't go to college.

I learned the construction trade instead, worked for nothing while I learned my way as an apprentice. I put in my time, 8-12 hours a day at work, then another 1-3 hours renovating the house, 6-7 days a week. I got nothing to show for that. While my peers were out working some crap job, then partying their money away, I was busting my ass. I was supposed to get a big payoff for that sacrifice, I was going to get a fat check of at least 200K, to go to college, then start a business. Instead I got nothing, and compared to some of the people I know, I am worse off than they are. I coulda been out getting laid and getting messed up and be better off than I am now.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I tend to agree with you, my growing up wasn't like yours though so the way I see it may differ although the outcome is the same. I tend to think that if I can work direct through one company paying full wage regardless if they laid me off or not was more beneficial to me then that through a temp agency, the idea of career employee is dead, hell it was even dead to me when I couldnt stand being in the infantry anymore and had to leave the service. GD I do know that we are all in the same boat and this isnt a woe is me thread either I am explicitly saying that temp agencies should disappear companies should hire a guy at full wage and if work runs out lay them off it is the right thing to do because I made enough money doing this versus barely surviving with a good company I would be an a hole to say my last company effed me but will say that the temp agency is giving it no lube and the suggestions of burger king and wal mart are kind of not only insulting but get on my nerves I grew up damn near homeless and was homeless and jobless being a grunt in the USMC doesnt give you many options as a civilian and the ones it does offer require phones and addresses and other resources to make it happen using I ride my bicycle or the city bus when asked about transportation at a job interview is not seen as character building it is a certain not hire. (not saying you insinuate any of this btw you really didnt) I am saying though it isnt as easy as getting a job at chucky cheese AAAAAHHHHHHHH I could scream over this topic so I just thought I would see what ppl would say when you ask about the alternative means. I do mean that when those that argue mickey ds and all that other tripe say something it enrages people that want the same opportunities they had and they will often say oh its out there but I and many others can show no it isnt there how much industry left america in 20 years how often do those without a high school diploma get a job how competitive is one myoptic retard to the next without at least community college? AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood

I would like to add something else to think about.

Blaming "baby boomers" for the problems of today and for their irresponsible financial policies is not fair.
They made the policies back then just as much as the young people make the ones we have now days.

In 50 years when this country will be having problems that make these look like the good old days because of the terrible, insane economic policies that our leaders are implementing now.

Are we going to blame the kids of today for the policies?

The baby Boomers where just the people living during those times the same as this generation is living these times. Neither are to blame for the problems although it feels good to be able to point the finger.

Lay the blame where it belongs........Government

Bad decisions then.......worse ones now.

I would agree....except the baby boomers talk a bunch of #...and then won't utter a peep over the fact that the same 'entitled brats' are paying for their SS, while when we turn 65+ there won't be anything for us.

I respectfully have to tell older generations who pass judgement on the generations after them to piss off.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

I never have trouble finding work my self. People just don't know how to present themselves or have very little skills or experience to speak of. In 2 months I got hired and quit 4 jobs until two months or so ago settling on car sales.

Hey good for you let me ask how does one find 5 years experience much less 3 years experience in an entry level job when is advertised entry level job when one has not the years to apply when needed experience for said job is needed proven to work at this job? Hmmm, HMMMMMMMMMMMM Ill tell you what I am not a bum I have served my country in very difficult and to this day very cumbersome situations in a job that wasnt easy or nice let me ask you to start over at 25 years old after dedicated service to the USMC since I was 17 and now only 27 I have a hard time getting an entry level welding job unless I hit a temp agency and for me to take these jobs means that I leave behind a lot of income to those that not only profit off of me but also into the getting there I am glad you do not have trouble finding work though, I am a good welder but I usually dont even get a chance as I need the minimum 3-5years experience for an entry level job do I A go to the temp agency and accept 9.50 to travel more then 80 miles round trip or B go to mcdonalds and try a direct hire or C take it in the keester no lube I mean is it not a mixed bag some would say keep trying to weld while others will say go to fast food or the temp agency or try wal mart I say it is sick to even present half of what I have to say about it all TBH

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Dude this sounds like a comedy bit. Not making fun really. Only a good car salesman could get 4 jobs in 2 months.

Here another one.....

Hay you guys, it really wasn't us baby boomers that screwed you over........it was our parents that screwed you over.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
It's going to sound brash but if you have trouble finding a job, you are the problem. It's easy to blame everyone else for your lack of marketable skills.

I've never had trouble finding a job when I needed one no matter the state of the economy.

Finding a job is all about having people skills or at least being really good at faking it. I hate people and I'm massively introverted by nature but I've been in face to face sales for the last 4 years and earn a six figure income because I can fake it.

My resume is very unimpressive but I've never had an interview that didn't get me hired. Learn how to seem professional and intelligent. Learn how to effectively articulate your thoughts in conversation. Learn how to make people like you. No matter how qualified you are, nobody is going to hire someone they don't like.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

If you served why are not taking advantage of the very (and I mean VERY) generous GI Bill? Chapter 33 benefits are ungodly beneficial. Use that to find a job that you enjoy. I did.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman

Hey good for you let me ask how does one find 5 years experience much less 3 years experience in an entry level job when is advertised entry level job when one has not the years to apply when needed experience for said job is needed proven to work at this job? Hmmm, HMMMMMMMMMMMM Ill tell you what I am not a bum I have served my country in very difficult and to this day very cumbersome situations in a job that wasnt easy or nice let me ask you to start over at 25 years old after dedicated service to the USMC since I was 17 and now only 27 I have a hard time getting an entry level welding job unless I hit a temp agency and for me to take these jobs means that I leave behind a lot of income to those that not only profit off of me but also into the getting there I am glad you do not have trouble finding work though, I am a good welder but I usually dont even get a chance as I need the minimum 3-5years experience for an entry level job do I A go to the temp agency and accept 9.50 to travel more then 80 miles round trip or B go to mcdonalds and try a direct hire or C take it in the keester no lube I mean is it not a mixed bag some would say keep trying to weld while others will say go to fast food or the temp agency or try wal mart I say it is sick to even present half of what I have to say about it all TBH

Step one to you finding a job: learn how to type out a proper sentence using punctuation and proper grammar.

From one Marine to another... that # was hard to read.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Answer
It's going to sound brash but if you have trouble finding a job, you are the problem. It's easy to blame everyone else for your lack of marketable skills.

I've never had trouble finding a job when I needed one no matter the state of the economy.

Finding a job is all about having people skills or at least being really good at faking it. I hate people and I'm massively introverted by nature but I've been in face to face sales for the last 4 years and earn a six figure income because I can fake it.

My resume is very unimpressive but I've never had an interview that didn't get me hired. Learn how to seem professional and intelligent. Learn how to effectively articulate your thoughts in conversation. Learn how to make people like you. No matter how qualified you are, nobody is going to hire someone they don't like.

Face to face sales? As in pharma sales???

edit on 6-8-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Answer

Congrats. I hope your charmed life continues.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Answer

Also, there are a lot of people who have "impressive" resumes unlike yours, and they can't even get a CALL BACK from hiring managers.

You have a fortunate lot in life. Be glad.

Also, realize that you are disconnected from the reality on the ground for a high % of Americans....YOUNG and OLD.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander
reply to post by Answer

Also, there are a lot of people who have "impressive" resumes unlike yours, and they can't even get a CALL BACK from hiring managers.

Also, realize that you are disconnected from the reality on the ground for a high % of Americans....YOUNG and OLD.

While unemployment is "high", it is "high" according to basic economics and what constitutes as "full employment". 8% of the working population isn't a high percentage by any measure except what we are told it should be.

Most that I know that have impressive resumes are vying for a job that is either very limited or is on its way out. Life and subsequently the workforce, changes. Deal with it.
edit on 6-8-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by supremecommander

It's not just americans, it is the same here on the ground in Canada. Sure, there are some dangerous jobs you can nab, go west and such. I have three family members that did just that for a long time, in the past year, 2/3 of them have died on the job due to cheap equipment on the job. I am doubting this trend is isolated to north america.
edit on Tue, 06 Aug 2013 23:56:37 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

reply to post by Answer

You highlight another point I should have made. Sometimes you have to look outside your qualified field.

I've known plenty of people who stay unemployed for an extended period of time simply because they're holding out for the job they think they deserve. Start thinking outside the box. I actually moved to a different state to find better opportunities.

I never thought I would get into sales but it has worked for me. If you're not finding anything maybe it's time to look elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

reply to post by Answer

While unemployment is "high", it is "high" according to basic economics and what constitutes as "full employment". 8% of the working population isn't a high percentage by any measure except what we are told it should be.

Most that I know that have impressive resumes are vying for a job that is either very limited or is on its way out. Life and subsequently the workforce, changes. Deal with it.
edit on 6-8-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

The fact that you falsely believe that the unemployment rate is at 8% is laughable. Seriously, the job numbers in the United States are # ed up. Do your due diligence before you speak on this matter.

Also, do not assume that because I speak on behalf of the Americans that I know personally who are educated and qualified for employment that I am one of the people who hasn't adjusted to the new paradigm. I just happen to have an open mind, and sympathy for what I see my countrymen going through, unlike others.

Read a few pages back. You'll see that I encourage thinking outside of the box as my life's MANTRA.

edit on 7-8-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join