It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets End the Fantasy of "being employed" or Having a Career in America

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi
Then Google flipped the switch and updated their algorithm and both sites lost over 90% of their traffic, and consequently over 90% of their earnings.

I sell at a long well known site. They ask for 30%, but I get a lot for that money.

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
those that would rather sit on their couch, and watch tv shows of those "suckers" who do work.

I actually heard one of them say something along the lines of, "Work is for suckers." I remember chuckling to myself at how out of control welfare is. He must have said something to the wrong person, because the last time I saw him he was all, "Yes, sir. No, sir. Thank you, sir."

Originally posted by ConMi27
People have children like addicts popping pills.

Is the military not hiring? I'm sure we'll have another war soon to boost the economy and thin the herd.

There's always eBay. Nonprofit secondhand stores have treasures for next to nothing. They're also a great place to stock up on the essentials. My best clothes come from thrifting.
edit on 8-8-2013 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by GoodOlDave

I don't believe in a nickles worth of differences betwixt the two party communists that sway back and forth like a grade school tug of war.

I would add when dem Carter left office interest rates for home mortgages were up around 20% - again taking away individual ownership - at least rep Reagan returned some financial sanity to the home buying public.

agenda 21 would take all that you have and dole back just enough for survival:
must not have anything

edit on 8-8-2013 by jibajaba because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ConMi27

Familiarize yourself with the numbers and their trajectory; what you were taught in school turns out to be a myth; the world's population growth is rapidly slowing, and may peak as soon at 2040.

Have a look at this dude's website overpopulation is a myth .com

He uses official numbers and population rates, and reaches the same conclusions that most NGO's already have: the 17th-20th centuries were a population boom; but that boom is already ending. His website will walk you through the counter-intuitive facts, if you have the patience to listen to an unexpected truth.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

stop you're crying, it's pathetic

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
My son got out of the service about a year ago. He's had one job, which he lost due to a failed drug test (of which the company is known for hiring a mess of people and using this tactic to get rid most of them a short time later.. He's applied to many, I know, I got through the various job sites on a daily basis, and sending all my kids the jobs I see that they might be interested in, along with applying for a few myself.
Well, the other two of my sons have jobs, not great jobs as a cashier at convenience stores. They are managed by the same person, and my son had his brother apply for the job, and put in a good word for him directly with the manager. We thought for sure, he get the job.
Well they had to do background checks..
Did the decision come down to who was the best qualified.nope..
Maybe it was connections for the managers....nope.
Maybe it was getting tax credits because your ex-service...nope!!!
The flipping background check that came back first got the job!!!!

I give up!!!
Nothing in this country is working the way it should be.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

I find pre-employment and random drug screening to be a repugnant practice.

In my shop we only do it when we have to because of our Workers Comp insurance (all injuries require a drug test), or when it is obvious that you are under the influence while at work.

People have all manner of predilections. Who am I to judge yours vs mine?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
After perusing the last several posts here, something I would like to point out: if you "have" to work, you likely hate your life while doing that work.

Work is about service. Service to others tends to end up in some manner of reciprocity. But even more, it is about service to yourself.

Find the reward in what you are doing. Even if it is just having pride in being good at what you do. And if that doesn't fix how much you hate what you are doing, work your way into another industry.

My current job: it is very hard. Some days I have to peel myself out of bed to get the gumption to get in here and do something. But when I leave....that feeling of accomplishment that I get.....it is the most important compensation I get.

Don't "have" to work. Work because that is what you do as a human. Sitting on the couch....that is not what humans do all day.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

In my shop we only do it when we have to because of our Workers Comp insurance (all injuries require a drug test), or when it is obvious that you are under the influence while at work.

Obviously not an employer…

It’s funny that a thread that began discussing younger generations not being able to find work ends up with someone rallying against employer drug testing.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

My son got out of the service about a year ago. He's had one job, which he lost due to a failed drug test (of which the company is known for hiring a mess of people and using this tactic to get rid most of them a short time later..

And you believed that story, mom? I'm just saying...being a veteran doesn’t excluded one from self-medicating.

He's applied to many, I know, I got through the various job sites on a daily basis, and sending all my kids the jobs I see that they might be interested in, along with applying for a few myself.
Your son should seek help from veterans oganizations. There are a few that help returning service members hook up with employers who prefer their skillset (no….not military contract work).

www.vetjobs.com

www.military.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Obviously not an employer…

It’s funny that a thread that began discussing younger generations not being able to find work ends up with someone rallying against employer drug testing.

Even stranger: i am a 40-something business "owner" myself.

I just don't want to control what people do when they take my uniform off.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I wonder how your customers would feel if they knew your lax policy. That's what I consider as an employer. I put my own feelings aside and look at things from my customers perspective.

Not drug testing sure doesn’t instill confidence in the quality of work provided. Especially if your employees enter customer’s homes (AC repairman, cable guy, construction, etc).

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReallySoon

Do you not find anything I presented a problem? To be honest I have nothing to cry about but everything in the world to be pissed off about there was lots of great information insights and opinions presented in this thread I suggest going back and looking at some of them. Thanks for your opinion
I gave you a star

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I wonder how your customers would feel if they knew your lax policy. That's what I consider as an employer. I put my own feelings aside and look at things from my customers perspective.

Not drug testing sure doesn’t instill confidence in the quality of work provided. Especially if your employees enter customer’s homes (AC repairman, cable guy, construction, etc).

Well....my business is the apex in its local market. Ill be satisfied with that, and let my customers worry about actual interactions and not petty hand wringing over the unknown.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I believe that story because since he's come home, he reallly hasn't gone out much, we moved while he was in the service, and he doesn't really know anyone here. I know his brothers aren't bringing it home for him It is more believable that it was a false positive or that gee, maybe there is something fishy with a company that hires a bunch of people and sends over half of them home for positive drug tests soon after??

The tests aren't accurate and I would probably test positive since I am popping more than the max usually of ibprofen on a daily basis! My concern is that he might have a physical problem...because their are some ailments that will also pop a false positive
As well as some shampoo..

And he'd contacted the group that helps the vets around here get jobs, and followed up on the leads.

But, it's the second part of the post that kind of blew me away... So many jobs require background checks, heck I even had one temp agency tell me I would have to pay for my background check!! And well, the company needed someone for the job then, not two weeks later when the stupid background check came back and they are so pressed for the help that they are forced to take the first one who's papers come back. But I guess that is what you can expect when you have corps that are running so many stores across the country writing up the policies!

I pop so much ibprofen because I am pain most of the tijme, quite frankly, I ain't gonna worry about some stupid drug test! If I fail, I fail! The alrernative is that I am hurting bad enough that I can't walk!!! I suppose I am suppose to be in that much pain just so an employer can be assured that I won't rip him off for drugs?? Hey, call my former boss, he can assure you of that much!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
The problem is that those that don't want a career and work, elected a President that gave everyone that "benefit". Now the few that have a good career and jobs must pay for those that would rather sit on their couch, and watch tv shows of those "suckers" who do work. Until the supposed silent majority of those who do wish to have a career get off their duffs and vote this set of politicians out, nothing will change. Once amnesty is granted to illegals, you can forget it, as this country will be nothing more than a third world country. At some point, you have to pay the piper and once the blood is completely drained out of the ambitious few left, the rich politicians will leave the resulting wasteland, and go to some tropical island that they bought, and enjoy their wealth that they drained from this country.
Welcome to "Hope and Change". I hope you still have some change left in your pocket.

yeah like the "I GOT ME OBAMA PHONE! HE BOUGHT ME A PHONE! GET ME SOME FOOL STAMPS (food stamps i presume?) or "OBAMA MONEY" er where did your "obama money" come from? "I DON'T KNOW?" (and you don't care where it came from er that would be the hard working tax payer)
yes what a mess & we the UK are in terrible shape.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman

Originally posted by ReallySoon

Do you not find anything I presented a problem? To be honest I have nothing to cry about but everything in the world to be pissed off about there was lots of great information insights and opinions presented in this thread I suggest going back and looking at some of them. Thanks for your opinion
I gave you a star

DO NOT FALL FOR THAT BAIT POST!!! that my friend is pathetic.
I'm with you on the agency temping crap this has to stop it's exploitation. what happened to company family values?
treat your work force well and they will repay the respect back. it's as bad here in the UK so i know what your going through cos I have been there.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
the economy was screwed up decades (at least) before Obama got into office. He was just the unlucky sap that got the votes for the presidency just before the big bang!

What we have now is the result of decades of bad policies, both from the dems and the republicans.

we can't find jobs because halfhazard poliices that were followed with very little foresight opened ways for the business sector to completely ignore any responsibilities that they have to their employers. That have managed to get away with charging more than their customers could afford and still have customers. Pay their employees less than those employees need to live and still have employees.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

My blood is 100% liquid charisma.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynx
I think it has to do with population. There is just too many people and not enough need. No such thing as infinite growth in a finite world. Everyone cant have a high paying job especially when there is such greed and currency hording by the rich.

The simple difference now is that banks used to pay a decent rate of interest to encourage people to save money (10% years). All the baby boomers were encouraged to do this, like the saying "take care of the nickels, and the dollars take care of themselves". A mortgage only lasted for 15 years back then.

But that wasn't enough for the banks - they realized that once people were saving money, they were losing profits. More debt = more interest = more bonuses. The whole economy was turned around to keep people in debt for as long as possible; student loans, car loans, credit cards that gradually upped the interest rate, 100% deposit mortages, jumbo mortgages. The more banks were willing to lend, the more home prices rose. Government jumped on this as well and started raising taxes.

When you look at a price of a home, the cost of building materials hasn't changed, it's the value of the land that has changed, and that depends entirely on how many people are moving there as opposed to leaving. In centralized economies, urban planners would make sure there were enough homes for every segment of the population, and served by subsidized public transport. With market driven economies, property developers only develop for the most profitable segment of the population. There are 18 million homes currently empty in the United States - everyone could be housed overnight, but that would mean no profits for the banks.

Food actually has to be thrown out by supermarkets because it is past the "sell-by" date. One supermarket that went bankrupt actually tried to distribute the remaining stock for free. But they were blocked from doing so by the city police force. Land is actually being *taken out* of food production uses, and used for bio-fuels instead. The USA actually exports food as well. So it's more of a myth that there is a food shortage.

There is also a world fabric over-supply. Developing world countries are losing their traditional dress making skills because there are some many items being donated from the West.

Manufacturing jobs were deliberately offshored - read about the term "The Lima Declaration of 1975". Western countries deliberately gave away their manufacturing base, and jobs for population.

Everyone could be employed, housed, fed and clothed, but then the banks wouldn't be making as much profit.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Been reding the first ten pages of this post. Many interesting and informatitve comments. Having said that to all of those who say "you need to try harder and work hard to get what you want" I agree completely, however if everyone in America went to college and got a degree in a high demand area and gave 110% there would still be the same amount of jobs as there are today. There are countries that have populations with 50%+ with college degrees and all that means is there is some PhD's pushing a broom and mopping the floor. No matter what feel good "Rudy" story you can find doesn't change the fact that even if everyone and I mean EVERYONE were to adopt the Great Work Ethic of old it wouldn't change much other then the fact that we have some very hard working homeless people picking up cans at an efficency rate much better then other homeless people who don't pick up cans. Jobs are jobs and no matter how hard you try only one person can fill each job opening meaning no matter what you do someone is going to be left without a chair when the music stops playing.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join