It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets End the Fantasy of "being employed" or Having a Career in America

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman
The point I really want to drive home is that the idea of the career in America is dying

I was offered a "career" twice recently. I've already tried working mandatory 45 hours a week on salary. My employees were the typical loafs who didn't care about customers or cleanliness. I was powerless to replace them. However, I found out later that this is the prevailing attitude. I would have had a hard time finding someone to care or give the appearance of caring at minimum wage. I wound up working so much that I was making less than my employees. I was miserable. The recent offer was for the same position. However, it's now 48 hours with 1 day off. The guy above me who offered the position understood why I declined. He's stuck it out longer than any district managers in the last few years. He admitted to me that these few months on the job have brought him to death's door.
edit on 7-8-2013 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthyaroura

In the oil and gas pipelines the company gives you a test in the field it costs you nothing to test except maybe your rods, but getting rigged up and all that and good at downhill pipe welding (standard procedure yeah downhill go figure right) you usually take a branch and bell hole test 10 or 12in various wall thickness and a 2 in 6G then they niche break it there on site after you cut and grind your own straps. The last company I worked for didnt use a temp agency and I worked there for almost 6 months as a welder helper making awesome pay that has helped me since the lay off as I was able to save versus the temp jobs that take between 10-75% of the paying companies money and give you less then decent wages for the job you are doing and forces you into contracts etc etc I was loyal to my employer and happy there I wish more companies would hire like the one I was at they were awesome and I wish they had more work for me but sometimes you run out of work

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

just found this out of interest. Hmm seems it can vary with fee's as to who pays.were both correct?

OK. In general terms there are two commonly used standards for coding. BS 4872 is used in structural applications where a WPS (welding procedure) is not required. ASME 9 is used in pipework and critical applications - it is the higher level. Welders are tested to either of those codes, in different positions and materials. The "best" coding is in 6G, which is welding a butt jointed pipe at 45 degrees - so basically covering every difficult position (not downhand). If you have a coding in ASME IX, 6G, in MMA, MIG, TIG, Flux Core, etc, and every material under the sun, to every WPS under the sun, then you have, essentially, a full set of codings (unlikely, even impossible) If you have a coding in ASME IX, 6G in MIG on mild steel, then you have a full coding, but ONLY in MIG, on Mild steel. If the coding was a 1G coding it would be to do downhand ONLY! College Qualifications do not give you a coding. They cover aspects of theory of welding and demonstrate that you may have had some practice, but they do not mean you can weld. A coding means you have passed a practical weld test (still doesn't mean you're any good!) Each coding has to be paid for. It is common practise in industry for employers to pay for the codings and the welder to get a copy to prove at a future date they have previously been coded. When you leave the job, you don't take the coding with you, it doesn't belong to you. To get work as a coded welder you would be normally be able to show evidence of previous codings, and in an ASME IX environment, would take new codings pertaining to the welding procedures and materials being used. If you want codings, you can pay for them yourself, at a cost of around £400 each. Ideally you would get three 6G codings in MMA, MIG, and TIG in mild steel, even better in stainless, duplex etc. Then you'd have a chance of getting a start on good jobs. But if you didn't have the theory and background, you'd soon be out the door, probably.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mekhanics

You can be self employed and make substantial sums of money on internet. PM me for further details.

This SPAM has reminded me that I need to get back to work.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
I read it somewhere else on here, paraphrasing but: The Baby Boomers get the houses, careers, Social Security and pensions. Meanwhile, they leave the 30 and under crowd with a huge deficit and a broken economy.

I guess the, "As long as I get mine" conservative/Republican mindset really worked in the long term. Thanks 55+ folks for believing in "trickle down economics" -- you've left a wonderful legacy.

Edit to add: I probably won't ever have children because this country is so screwed up. I can't in good conscious bring a life into this mess, considering I could never give it the quality of life I had growing up.
edit on 6-8-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

yep..

and you can thank your mom and dad for doing this as well.. unbeknowns to you .. the country was set up LONG before the babyboomers even arrived..

and you're generation isn't doing much either.. why .. because you're in a spot where you can't .. it's called government .. as in ..TPTB..

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

downhill on the pipe weld?? contradiction or what

yes the dreaded A word
AGENCY or put another way TEMPING

who in there rite mind is going to commit when there is no guarantee the job will last 2 weeks let alone 6 months!
Don't get me started. in the UK we are SCREWED thanks to these parasites.
NOW THIS is a different matter and money for said test MORE than NOT will be the case. it's wrong.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Joblessness in America is tied to an individuals geographical preference. If you want to make $20-$30/hr with loads of OT, and you can handle some hard work, you could get hired your first day in town around here. Been that was since before 2008.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Here ya goreply to post by stealthyaroura

You weld downhill pipe in America all using fast freeze rods no low hydrogen all stick welded hope this helps

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I had two jobs in Austin Texas and barely made it. Then the IRS told me the companies didn't take enough taxes out and ended up owing them 9000.00. I was barely making 2500.00 a month. I moved to Houston and got a good paying industrial job at a refinery and now I paid off the IRS and am working on the rest of my debt. I don't have a college degree. But I do what I can to get by. I don't live out of my means. I don't have a new car and I will drive the one I have till its rust. I pay liability insurance. This is what my bills come to each month.
Rent 660.00
Electric 65.00 to 120.00 depending on time of year
Phone 110.00(Internet Phone Samsung II)
Insurance 45.00 month
Gas 400.00 month (Yeah SUV) But it's paid for.
College loan-100.00 month
100.00 misc expenses
45.00 internet cable.
250.00 food
I'm a vet so I don't have medical insurance payments but I pay deductibles for my prescriptions ect.

Usually I pay all of my bills on the first paycheck of the month. The second paycheck I have fun with. I'll buy something I want or I'll travel on my days off to get out of my apartment. But I'm making 3000.00 to 4000.00 or so a month. When I made 1700 to 2500 a month life was pretty miserable. Gas is crazy, it's like paying rent! But if I had a new car The insurance would be 250 a month plus new car bill plus gas! So Why the hell would I do that? I plan on saving to buy a smaller used car with cash later. Making 11.00 an hour sucked. But I survived. It just seems crazy to work so hard with two jobs when people don't work and are lazy and make a salary off the government tit. Then you talk to some people who claim seven to 11 kids on their taxes and only have one or none! Where are the checks in out flawed system? It is frustrating.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I would love to hear what a Temp Agency HR persons inside unbiased opinion about what they do and how they feel about getting paid off of someone elses labor if there is one reading this thread please chime in, I promise I wont go honey badger on ya

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Thanks I am going to take an IN DEPTH look at that later (had a quick glance) yeah its funny how commen sense is sometimes over ruled and your given a task to perform yet you end up cack handed to £uck all cos the method statement
says welds MUST be performed in said manner.
There will always be those that say this way is best and the NO its like this! but us brits do love the TEXAS WEAVE
or DROPPING DIMES

I even shout "YEE HA" if i'm on a roll making huge passes LOL. it's an artform welding don't you find?
I just love conformity esp when i'm TIG'n or the slag of MMA flux rising as that perfect pass has been made.
good luck anyway we all deserve a lucky break and welding is a true skill.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

reply to post by votan

It doesn't have to be this way though if anything the Temp Agency service in my opinion should be abolished. I was hired with a good company that had values instead of hiring the temp agency they got people hired through their own means. I felt good working there and would love to go back to work for them if they call me back, the Temp Agency is undermining to the worker and is in itself a problem with this country. People keep acting like their is all this paper work and without the temp agency blah blah blah its all bull$hit paper work HA most of this stuff is done on the computer by the person trying to get hired hahahaha you don't get paid to do HR job but you do it for them regardless more or less. People will still apply for jobs without the temp agency help. Gone are the days of the career of 20+ years we will never have back the thriving industry of the last generations past we are going down a serious path here and we as a nation need to figure out what to do and what direction we want to take our country. Give it another three years it isn't going to be pretty.

edit on 7-8-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

I totally agree with you that it doesn't have to be that way.. but it makes good business sense to do it the way it is done now. The temp does the screening for them and it just frankly saves money. It also helps with the letting go of people once their term is up. It is a racket and it is a business.

what you fail to realize is that a temp agency more than likely benefits the employer and not the employee. A business is always out to make a profit, if using a temp agency helps with that.. then they will use it.

I was lucky enough to get into a company where people still make a career. Roughly nine years now short of ten and I have advanced in the company in that time.

if i were to start now i doubt I would have the same opportunity.

...and you make the hire process seem like it is only the application... it encompasses many more things than that.

edit on 7-8-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

what you fail to realize is that a temp agency more than likely benefits the employer and not the employee. A business is always out to make a profit, if using a temp agency helps with that.. then they will use it.
reply to post by votan

I do not fail to realize this, I just blatantly disagree with this, the back bone to any good company is good employees. The idea of the temp agency is undermining to the idea that an employer will get good employees along with a myriad of other issues. I fail to see how this method is cheaper, a company pays a middle man to get an employee for them, with the state of affairs if the company just hired an HR or assign a boss to do this most of the other info is done efficiently on a computer a direct hire and lay off is not only more appropriate it is beneficial to all parties involved no matter how you look at it a company is going to pay to have employees, temp agencies can skirt labor laws, they can force you into bad contracts, they can just fire you for any reason at any time for no reason, your well being is not within their interests.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
I read it somewhere else on here, paraphrasing but: The Baby Boomers get the houses, careers, Social Security and pensions. Meanwhile, they leave the 30 and under crowd with a huge deficit and a broken economy.

I guess the, "As long as I get mine" conservative/Republican mindset really worked in the long term. Thanks 55+ folks for believing in "trickle down economics" -- you've left a wonderful legacy.

Edit to add: I probably won't ever have children because this country is so screwed up. I can't in good conscious bring a life into this mess, considering I could never give it the quality of life I had growing up.
edit on 6-8-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

I find that its the older democrats that are like this. They have no clue. They seem to think they are entitled to stuff and the younger crowd is just lazy. I walked through my town today and it looks so different from 15 years ago. I saw a lot of derelicts, I know these people as drug addicts just waiting for their welfare of food stamps to come in. When I was younger I saw these people but now the number of people who are like this is overwhelming.
edit on 7-8-2013 by jlafleur02 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
That really sucks, man.

One thing bout temp agencies though. I got my current job through a temp to hire position with a temp agency. Sure, it was 3 months of uncertainty and low wages, but after I finished with it, I was offered the position, given a decent raise with benefits. If you want to go that route make sure the position they are placing you in, is a temp to hire position. If it isn't, it's a waste of time.

I hope you find something. Took me over a year to find the position I'm in now. Good luck.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
i plan on employing myself i don't look forward to the interview

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

reply to post by votan

I do not fail to realize this, I just blatantly disagree with this, the back bone to any good company is good employees. The idea of the temp agency is undermining to the idea that an employer will get good employees along with a myriad of other issues. I fail to see how this method is cheaper, a company pays a middle man to get an employee for them, with the state of affairs if the company just hired an HR or assign a boss to do this most of the other info is done efficiently on a computer a direct hire and lay off is not only more appropriate it is beneficial to all parties involved no matter how you look at it a company is going to pay to have employees, temp agencies can skirt labor laws, they can force you into bad contracts, they can just fire you for any reason at any time for no reason, your well being is not within their interests.

They do not want to commit to employees.. it is as simple as that.

You have been hired as a temp.. does that make you a bad worker?? Do you perform poorly simply because you get hired through a temp agency?? Do you not think there are other good employees going through the temp agency who will go in there a do a good job??

Like i said.. apparently it is working right now. Whether you agree with it is inconsequential. they will continue to do this because it is profitable. If it WASN'T profitable or of some benefit they would not be doing it. I am not sure how hard that is to understand.

temp agencies can skirt labor laws, they can force you into bad contracts, they can just fire you for any reason at any time for no reason, your well being is not within their interests.

Doesn't this tell you something about businesses using temp agencies?? they wish they could do those things but they can't so they use a temp agency so if something happens they can jsut say oh well it is the temp agency who did that not us...

It is very simple why businesses use temp agencies. As an employer i see the benefits and the draw backs. As an employee I see it as garbage.

As long as it makes them money whether you understand it or not they will continue to use them.

I do not disagree with your view I am just saying that business do not view things the same way you do.

A business does not care about you the employee, they care about you as long as you are useful. they don't care about your well being. maybe at the local level they do but if you are in a huge company that is about as far as it goes.

The only time your well being matters is when you are on the job simply because they can be held liable.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join