It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is NOT the Aircraft Carrier you are looking for...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I think you're losing this one, Mister Subject Matter Expert.
Post in haste, repent at leisure.
Go take a chillpill and think this one through.
Because these little Jap carriers ... modified, I'll grant you ... have great potential and well you know it.
But I think modification was always the plan, wasn't it ? I'd love to see the shipyard refit plans, every confidence they exist.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

Of course because the Japanese are going to but a system that's adds complexity, and could utterly screw them at the worst possible time. But prove me wrong. You should still be able to see the tracks where they'll pop up. Show them to me on the deck.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

I've never denied that they have potential. Not once. But they're years away from that potential at best. They have no fixed wing aircraft that can fly off them with our without a catapult, and currently no plans to buy any that have either been announced or put into their budget.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

You also said they couldnt fly F35's off this ship ever, until a non-subject matter expert kinda numbnutted that one.

What planes ? I don't know, it depends what mods they do to the ship & when they do it. A ski jump ship would be the easiest retrofit.

Here's a video of an F35B short take from USS Wasp. Wiki gives USS Wasp a deck length of 844 ft. The take off start is parallel to the island somewhere, I'd reckon it could be anywhere between 400-500 ft take off distance. The new Jap carrier is 646 feet long.

Do you think it could launch from the Jap carrier as it does from USS Wasp ?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Because the only F-35 purchase Japan has announced or budgeted for is 42 F-35As. The A will never see the deck of a ship, no matter who it is. So unless they suddenly change to Bs, they never will fly them off the deck. They may buy some later, but looking at the information we have right now, a Japanese F-35 will never touch her feeldecks. They may land a Marine B on her at some point, but with the information we have now, they will not operate them from her.

Even if they switch you'll, you're still looking at years. The Marines expect a reduced performance IOC of late 2014 to early 2015, and full certification sometime around 2019.
edit on 8/8/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

If they go the ski jump route, maybe the Japanese Navy will just buy some F35Bs ?

Radical thought that, eh Zaphod ?

The deck seems long enough, the airplane has the legs to do it. Unless there's some reason below decks we don't know about, limited hangar space/height or some such thing, the F35B might be do-able after all ?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

The deck is long enough without a ramp, but as I said in other posts, the performance hit you'll take will hurt without a ramp. And as I said in an earlier post, if they suddenly switch some to Bs, they're almost certainly put them on her deck. But until that happens, I stand by what I said and you will not see a Japanese fixed wing aircraft on her deck. You may see a Marine B or two land on her to prove you can, but as of now I strand by my statement.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Of course! This is ATS! And the Japanese, unlike the Americans, still have an ounce of sense, paranoia, and spy craft left in them.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Trust me, I'll be here to let you know when the first F35B is deployed to this ship lol.

Have a good evening.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

If they switch any to Bs, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. I'm not above admitting my mistakes. But I'm willing to bet it will be years, if it ever happens.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I'm betting 3 months.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by teachtaire

I'm betting 3 months.

Japan is currently having problems financing the 42 A's they want.

They are going to be very hard pressed to change that to the more expensive B's.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Yes, unfortunately in times of conflict America is never known to lend or lease materiel.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I doubt Japan has any black project aircraft. They're attempting to test fly the first Japanese manufactured aircraft since the Zero sometime later this year, it's a regional airliner.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Stealthbomber

Yes, act like you don't know how to make an airplane when you have civilians making mecha suits with Gatling guns.

Oldest trick in the book.

I figured it out! The Japanese are going to put Mech suits with jets strapped to them on their carriers! The chinese are SCREWED!

edit on 8-8-2013 by teachtaire because: AIIIEEEEE!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by teachtaire
reply to post by peck420

Yes, unfortunately in times of conflict America is never known to lend or lease materiel.

And, how many F-35 B's will the US be able to lend out in the next 3 months? Or even the next 3 years?

I am going to go out on a limb here and make a pretty bold statement:

The US Marines are not going to lend out an aircraft that they will have an extremely limited number of...especially in a time of conflict.

This carrier/destroyer is launching nothing outside of helos for the foreseeable future.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by teachtaire

Thanks for wasting my time with that response.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Exactly,

The F-35B only just conpleted it's 500th vertical landing, I don't think think they would be too eager to send it over to Japan just to see if it could land on their carrier

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Who said anything about the F-35s?

Those were only made to get funds to shift elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Stealthbomber

Unfortunately the local Japanese populace is somewhat vulnerable to intellectual espionage in regards to our airfields.

Whoever thought that idea up may have been a huge idiot. Now there are floating Japanese airfields to deal with!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join