It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is NOT the Aircraft Carrier you are looking for...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Japan has unveiled its newest...ahem..."warship", it is most definitely NOT an aircraft carrier.
really it's not, you can trust us! why would we lie? have we ever lied before?
(Fukushima, cough cough).

hosted.ap.org...
edit on 6-8-2013 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Hope they build more of this "warship" and patrol all the waters on China's coast.

Did somebody say i don't like China nowadays?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

Interesting seeing how South Korea will react

www.forbes.com...

What are Japanese at the highest levels thinking when Taro Aso, the finance minister, reminds his right-wing audience of the rise of Adolf Hitler and the “quiet transition” in those dark days of German history to Nazi rule? What does all that have to do with the economy, and why was Aso, a former prime minister, veering so far from his responsibilities for the economic program of “Abenomics” on behalf of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe? Pouring fuel onto the flames, Aso lamented the “noisy attention” surrounding visits to the Yasukuni shrine in Tokyo honoring and mourning Japanese war dead including war criminals. Rather, he advised, “do it quietly” – as if Japanese leaders could surreptitiously sneak in and out of the shrine without attracting the notice of the media and provoking angry responses from China and South Korea.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Courtesy of Google translate:

Local August 6, 2013, the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force helicopter carrier 22DDH launched in Yokohama. Ship load displacement of 27,000 tons, is expected to enter service in 2015. 22DDH named Izumo, hull number 183, ship name "the cloud", who the Japanese navy during the Japanese invasion fleet flagship used by the Chinese side.
finance.qq.com...

Izumo-class helicopter destroyer
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 8/6/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: wiki link

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Here's a linky...

hosted.ap.org...

They do say it is not an Aircraft Carrier. But rather a seaborne helicopter platform.

Last I checked, a helicopter is a rotery winged aircraft.

So, yeppers Japan, it is an aircraft carrier.
edit on 6-8-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Wonder if the money would have been spent better off somewhere else... ya know like a power plant with a melting core. How about we tunnel under, drop concrete and put a 1 mile wide wall in between it and the ocean. I don't care what it takes.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

So, yeppers Japan, it is an aircraft carrier

No it's not! you call us liers? I kill you!
edit on 6-8-2013 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Antipathy17
Wonder if the money would have been spent better off somewhere else... ya know like a power plant with a melting core. How about we tunnel under, drop concrete and put a 1 mile wide wall in between it and the ocean. I don't care what it takes.

I would have to Agree

On Topic yup that's an aircraft carrier

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The British navy couldn't get political approval for it's new aircraft carriers in the 1970's (Invincible class), so it re-designated them as "Through Deck Command Cruisers", a designation far more creative than that of the Japanese Navy today.

27,000 tons though ? That's a fleet aircraft carrier ! And it's a nice looking ship too.

Get some F-35's ordered for it, or better still some Rafale-M's

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
any ship that can carry air craft is a Aircraft Carrier www3.nhk.or.jp... a Zebra with out Stripes is still a Zebra. from the link

Japan's largest-ever helicopter destroyer launched

Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force has launched its largest-ever destroyer.

A launch ceremony for the 250-meter-long Izumo was held on Tuesday at a dockyard in Yokohama.

The ship has a full-load displacement of 19,500 tons and can carry up to 14 helicopters. Its deck is shaped like that of an aircraft carrier and can accommodate 5 helicopters landing or taking off at the same time.

The Izumo was built for about 1.2 billion dollars and is expected to be deployed by March 2015.

The destroyer is aimed at better responding to various contingencies in waters near Japan.

Pointing out that the ship is not to be used by fighter jets, Defense Ministry officials say it is not an attack aircraft carrier, which the government says would be incompatible with its nonaggressive defense policy.

The ministry plans to build another destroyer of the same type.

Aug. 6, 2013 - Updated 11:46 UTC
nice way of getting around a policy

edit on 6-8-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
That is clearly a mobile open air football field, that floats.

Everyone needs one of these puppies, two actually if you can afford.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Antipathy17

They started building it 2009 and the tsunami disaster happened 2011, how are they going to get the money back, stop building it and sell it for scrap?

Jeezz...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Where are the catapults?
I don't see the catapults...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

The link states that Japan will be using it as a helicopter platform, with upto 14 on deck at a time.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I guess this ship is in commission now, ayes ?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It's a very limited aircraft carrier. Certainly not a match for a Nimitz class
1 side elevator. and maybe 1 elevator midship.
No ramp or catapults.

It's limited to helicopters or vtol craft. Not really an attack carrier.

www.freewebs.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
It Certainly not a match for a Nimitz class

Doesnt need to be does it?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I think its "not a match" in a way its to be used, its not nearly as large either.

This is mostly for defense, anti sub and humanitarian aid/disaster support - The monsterous Minitz is a large attack platform
edit on 6-8-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Of the 6 carriers used to attack Pearl Harbor, 3 had a smaller displacement than this new Japanese carrier. So I don't buy into the "not an attack carrier" argument (sorry lol), this is a warship and it's best features can all be exploited by it's commanders for either defense or attack.

I wonder sometimes whether the West trains it's commanders nowadays to be aggressive & to take the war to the enemy ... it's been so long since a major naval war I wonder if 70 years of peacekeeping haven't maybe blunted our tactics a bit. But that's just me speculating, I might well be talking crapola.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity
I might well be talking crapola.

yup you are,

This is 2013 not 1941.

Japan are the USA Allies and have no reason or will what so ever to start Pacific war version II.

Let them have there aircraft carries. Maybe if they can pick up some of the defence slack in the area the USA can back off abit and cut its military spending abit.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join