It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinkhole in The Netherlands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

A woman fell in a sinkhole today in the southern part of The Netherlands.
According to police the sinkhole was caused by an overload of water that came from the neighbors who left their sprinklers on while they were on vacation.

I know of more people who do this, but they usually have a timer on the sprinkler system. I've never heard of people going away for a couple of days and just leave the water on. Anyway. Seems to be a common problem in the area. Sinkholes that is, not people leaving their sprinklers on...

Link
edit on 6-8-2013 by IofRa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This is a better link.

www.bndestem.nl...

Use google translate

But to say this is a sinkhole.....

edit on 6-8-2013 by earthling42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I could leave my sprinklers on for a year and not cause a sinkhole like that.

If water running caused this, why aren't irrigated farm fields littered with large sinkholes?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

It happens in my garden to, the sand is drained under the floor of the house because of the flowing water.

The ground here sinks and after some years we need to raise it with sand.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by earthling42

Thnx! I thought I put the google translate link in there

Yeah, it's not a Costa Rican sinkhole, but as far as I know they're fairly rare here (in the Netherlands).

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Don´t know if the neighbours are to blame much. Over 20% of netherlands are below the sea level and 50% only 1 meter above sea level. Sea levels have been rising due climate change and what keeps Netherlands dry is the dikes they build.

Netherland is sinking, its allready a lot under the sea level and land is washing away.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by IofRa

Very unlikely indeed, there has never been a sinkhole in the Netherlands according to my knowledge, but it is said that if it is to occur, it will be in Limburg or de achterhoek.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Why is it the more I see these the more I think of Rise of the Silver Surfer?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
Why is it the more I see these the more I think of Rise of the Silver Surfer?

you mean galactus will soon eat earth?

its earth growing up..like us..

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
We have an underground river running under my property, it flows down the hill and comes out of springs. I've been watching the ground go down in certain areas over the past twenty years. There are outcrops of rock coming up from a long way down, they will hold it, so I doubt if my yard will slide across the road, but it could sink and sag a bit.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Google is such an interfering ass, and the translation is funny if you've had a drink or two. It looks like the area is somewhat unstable anyway and built on a landfill. Developers do this all the time, and all the time there are problems. It looks like the neighbours helped out with this one.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthling42
reply to post by IofRa

Very unlikely indeed, there has never been a sinkhole in the Netherlands according to my knowledge, but it is said that if it is to occur, it will be in Limburg or de achterhoek.

They do occur, in the Netherlands they call them snakeholes or Dolines, although I think in this case it is more likely a man made Faux Pas, but still, groundwater is the main culprit.
This CNN video is a good explanation of what can happen, albeit this is about Florida, bear in mind that the still seen before you start the video is just the hole, then you can see what could be underneath once the video starts.

The message for me is, don't hang about one to make movies.
edit on 6-8-2013 by smurfy because: Link

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
that is some hole i did a mental calculation of the lorry loads that it will take to fill that in

400-600 min 12.000 tons i hope he has good insurance

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Yes you're right, it is below sea level and the bottom consists of peaty soil.
Dikes keep the water out, but because i am living on the lowlands, i look at the dikes and see also a wall which prevents the water from flowing back to sea.
If a tsunami comes our way, i wonder if a big enough earthquake near Iceland is possible which will trigger a tsunami.
Scary thought, it will mean many thousands of victims.
edit on 7-8-2013 by earthling42 because: typo

top topics

join