It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Orders Evacuation of Embassy in Yemen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

www.voanews.com

US Orders Evacuation of Embassy in Yemen.

The U.S. State Department has ordered the evacuation of the American embassy in Yemen due to terrorist threats, as reports emerge that intercepted al-Qaida communications led to the recent closure of dozens of U.S. diplomatic posts.

A statement issued Tuesday called for all non-essential staff to leave Yemen and urged U.S. citizens in the country to depart because the potential for both terrorist attacks and civil unrest is "extremely high."

Britain has also temporarily withdrawn all staff from its embassy in Yemen due to sec
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.usatoday.com
www.huffingtonpost.com
news.yahoo.com
edit on 6-8-2013 by UnknownEntity because: I added my quote earlier in the news item, thus the edit.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Well, the threat level has surly exploded in exponential manner. With the US closure and now evacuation, even the UK has decided to follow suit.

What shall happen next is extremely volatile to predict as of now, especially since al-Qaeda intel intercepted by US leads one to believe that on the end of Ramzan and beginning of Eid, a major terror attack is planned by the group.

It must be a tense Board Room, where executive orders are being issued.

www.voanews.com

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
INTERPOL issues global security alert advising increased vigilance for terrorist activity!

Following a series of prison escapes across nine INTERPOL member countries in the past month alone, including in Iraq, Libya and Pakistan, the INTERPOL General Secretariat headquarters has issued a global security alert advising increased vigilance.

With suspected Al Qaeda involvement in several of the breakouts which led to the escape of hundreds of terrorists and other criminals, the INTERPOL alert requests the Organization’s 190 member countries’ assistance in order to determine whether any of these recent events are coordinated or linked.

INTERPOL is asking its member countries to closely follow and swiftly process any information linked to these events and the escaped prisoners. They are also requested to alert the relevant member country and INTERPOL General Secretariat headquarters if any escaped terrorist is located or intelligence developed which could help prevent another terrorist attack.

Staff at INTERPOL’s 24-hour Command and Coordination Centre and other specialized units are also prioritizing all information and intelligence in relation to the breakouts or terrorist plots in order to immediately inform relevant member countries of any updates.

August is the anniversary of violent terrorist incidents in Mumbai, India and Gluboky, Russia as well as in Jakarta, Indonesia. This week also marks the 15th anniversary of the US Embassy bombings in Nairobi, Kenya and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania in which more than 200 mostly African citizens were killed and 4,000 others injured.

In recent years, terrorist attacks focusing on diplomatic facilities in Afghanistan, Greece, India, Kenya, Libya, Pakistan, Peru, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tanzania, Turkey and Yemen have also resulted in hundreds of casualties of all nationalities.
The US State Department has also issued a global travel alert in response to credible intelligence suggesting that Al-Qaeda and affiliated organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks between now and 31 August, particularly in the Middle East and North Africa. In addition to the US authorities announcing the one-day closure of more than 20 diplomatic missions on Sunday 4 August, the UK Foreign Office has also confirmed the closure of the British embassy in Yemen on 4 and 5 August.

Interpol

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownEntity
BREAKING JUST NOW: US EMBASSY IN YEMEN BEING EVACUATED!

Would I be right in thinking that is is YOUR screaming headline, and not a quote from VOA News?

Because... this news is a few days old now.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And the statement from the State Department

Washington, DC
August 4, 2013
Posts in Abu Dhabi, Amman, Cairo, Riyadh, Dhahran, Jeddah, Doha, Dubai, Kuwait, Manama, Muscat, Sanaa, Tripoli, Antananarivo, Bujumbura, Djibouti, Khartoum, Kigali, and Port Louis are instructed to close for normal operations Monday, August 5 through Saturday, August 10.

I've bolded Sanaa for you.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

BREAKING JUST NOW: US EMBASSY IN YEMEN BEING EVACUATED!

Would I be right in thinking that is is YOUR screaming headline, and not a quote from VOA News?

[Yes, my mistake, the above is my headline...however, the correct VOA head line is, "US Orders Evacuation of Embassy in Yemen." Thank you for pointing this out, I think this was my first 'News' thread and thus the mistake.]

Because... this news is a few days old now.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And the statement from the State Department

Washington, DC
August 4, 2013
Posts in Abu Dhabi, Amman, Cairo, Riyadh, Dhahran, Jeddah, Doha, Dubai, Kuwait, Manama, Muscat, Sanaa, Tripoli, Antananarivo, Bujumbura, Djibouti, Khartoum, Kigali, and Port Louis are instructed to close for normal operations Monday, August 5 through Saturday, August 10.

I've bolded Sanaa for you.

The quote you have given next is from my own post about embassies being 'closed'. However, for the Embassy Evacuation, rest assured...this is latest development. There is a difference between Embassies being closed (for work) and Embassies being evacuated (People/Staff are removed from that country)...And this is big news because following US Embassy Evacuation, even UK has decided to remove non essential staff from its Embassy in Yemen.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
All of the recent embassy closings made me think of a few questions. I had thought that Marines were responsible for security at US Embassies. Why don't we just increase their presence in these countries? Also, who remains on site to safeguard the embassy and contents? Surely it's not like in Argo where all the sensitive information is shredded or burned.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

reply to post by UnknownEntity

What a great way to get the attention off of what Obama is doing at home and allow radical Islam gain a large segment of the globe.

"Phony" scandals, yeah right - all planned as a way to minimize US position in world.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I guess Obama doesnt like the "stand your ground law" either"

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity

Perfect timing by the MSM, the NSA gets the rug pulled out from under them in regards to the biggest surveillance operation in history and then al Qaeda happens to make a call. You couldn't make this crap up, oh wait, someone already has

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Yemen is a hole. I"m sure those folks are glad to be out of there for a while. That's gotta' be a lousy assignment to get. I hope they enjoy the time away .. go get a Burger King burger and a beer ... watch some H.D. TV ... reconnect with civilization ...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Never mind, I'll hold my tongue.

This crap just seems too scripted .

edit on 6-8-2013 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Closing embassies on those area because of..??

Al Qaida warning again..? Even the dumbest person in this world knows that it runs by the US and its intelligent service! What was warning again..??
edit on 6-8-2013 by amkia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Well, the threat level has surly exploded in exponential manner. With the US closure and now evacuation, even the UK has decided to follow suit.

What shall happen next is extremely volatile to predict as of now, especially since al-Qaeda intel intercepted by US leads one to believe that on the end of Ramzan and beginning of Eid, a major terror attack is planned by the group.

It must be a tense Board Room, where executive orders are being issued.

www.voanews.com

Please don't tell me you believe any of this op.

Its clearly a smoke screen to justify NSA spying and a bunch of BS.

If you go on many f the msm sights running this story, even the comments there are mostly all saying that its all a crock of shhhhhh...... smoke screens to self justify NSA existence.

Anyone who believes the quote unquote "official story", has been royally finagled

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Well they certainly are in need of a "terrorist" event now..

edit on 6-8-2013 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Yawn.

Yawn again.

Something ain't right.

With all that high-tech they got, why was it so difficult to just pinpoint the source of those 'chatter' calls and send in the drones

They blew it again because they said one of the 'talkers' was supposedly al-Zawahri himself !!!!!

The New York Times reported that electronic communications between al-Zawahri, who replaced Osama bin Laden as head of al Qaeda, and Nasser al-Wahishi, the head of the Yemen-based al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) had featured in the decision to close the embassies.

"This was significant because it was the big guys talking, and talking about very specific timing for an attack or attacks," the newspaper quoted one official as saying.
yawn

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Screw even having embassies in these Countries! There is little to no reason to have overseas staff in Muslim Land. They don't like the USA, don't want us there and to top it all off they throw rocks at us whenever they get a chance. The best thing that could happen is having all those embassies firebombed during the closures.

We simply should get the # out of the Middle East.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
Screw even having embassies in these Countries! There is little to no reason to have overseas staff in Muslim Land. They don't like the USA, don't want us there and to top it all off they throw rocks at us whenever they get a chance. The best thing that could happen is having all those embassies firebombed during the closures.

TPTB would disagree.

The Global Corporatist / Military / Government / Religion / Industrial complexes would suffer.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Meanwhile, in Italy

US consulate in Milan evacuated over bomb scare

US consulate in Milan evacuated over bomb scare: Reports
The US consulate in Italy's Milan is emptied in response to a reported threat.

The US consulate in Milan, Italy, was reportedly evacuated on Tuesday due to a bomb scare, according to Italy's Agenzia Nazionale Stampa Associata (ANSA).

The move came in response to a suspicious mailing, said Agence-France Press, citing Italian media sources.

ANSA said a letter "referring to an explosive" had been received.

The US consulate is on Milan's Via Principe Amedeo, close to a main shopping area, reported the International Business Times, adding that nearby buildings have also been evacuated.

The news comes as America is on heightened alert, having shut down 19 diplomatic posts in response to a believed terrorist threat from al-Qaeda.

No other information was immediately available.

www.globalpost.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus

آمين - Amen

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Yemen is a hole. I"m sure those folks are glad to be out of there for a while. That's gotta' be a lousy assignment to get. I hope they enjoy the time away .. go get a Burger King burger and a beer ... watch some H.D. TV ... reconnect with civilization ...

Agreed! What a big sigh of relief those folks must be feeling by getting out of there. I believe the news indicated that they are taking citizen to Germany. I also believe the British are doing the same thing.

It really does seem like Yemen is just not a safe place. I am not all that familiar with their security forces and their ability to substantially protect their allies let alone themselves. Just a real hot bed for terrorists to roam almost freely, except for the occasional Drone strikes. I just hope maybe we can thwart this apparent attempt by AQAP which now seems very specific to be originating in Yemen.

"We are concerned about a threat stream indicating the potential for terrorist attacks against U.S. persons or facilities overseas, especially emanating from the Arabian Peninsula," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement. "The Department is taking appropriate steps to protect our employees, including local employees and visitors to our facilities."

An emergency message to U.S. citizens posted on the U.S. Embassy in Yemen's website today described the terror threat as "extremely high." "U.S. citizens currently in Yemen should depart," the message reads. "As staff levels at the Embassy are restricted, our ability to assist U.S. citizens in an emergency and provide routine consular services remains limited and may be further constrained by the fluid security situation."

ABC News Source for Statements Above ^^

A pair of suspected U.S. drone strikes killed four al Qaeda militants in Yemen as the United States maintained a heightened security alert in the country and urged all Americans to leave immediately. Security sources told CNN about the strikes but didn't offer additional details. A Yemeni official said four drone strikes have been carried out in the past 10 days. None of those killed on Tuesday were among the 25 names on the country's most-wanted list, security officials said.

It also seems that the statement below is the leading bit of information that stirred up the immediacy for concern to react as broadly as it has. Although Yemen seems to be the central site, perhaps other affiliates have been dispersed previously in other neighboring countries just waiting for the final signal to attack. Pure speculation for sure, but pieces are beginning to be more clear day by day

U.S. officials intercepted a message from al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri to operatives in Yemen telling them to "do something." The message was sent to Nasir al-Wuhayshi, the leader of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, the terror group's Yemeni affiliate. U.S. intelligence believes al-Wuhayshi has recently been appointed the overall terror organization's No. 2 leader.

Perhaps one more specific Drone attack getting Nasir al-Wuhayshi, could change the scenario. Still, only time will tell.
edit on 6-8-2013 by ItDepends because: grammatical correction

top topics

join