It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International Child Brides

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I wanted to post this as I am aware that most people assume that only a few cultures have child brides. This video shows how many actually do allow it. Although in most countries its not legal, it would seem families exist who think its the norm to marry off a 9yr-13 old child to an older male without their permission.

It makes me think seriously what rights do parents have?

Of course in many cultures arranged marriage is the norm. But it also makes me bleed for them. How sad that their parents would abuse them, thinking they are helping them when they are not. Its also been noted in the video that they do not have education - they go straight into motherhood and being a home maker.

Some countries effected have been listed as northern India, Nepal, Ethiopia, Yemen, Afghanistan.

It isn't one religion that does this or renders it the norm.

www.youtube.com... Very good video.

edit on 6-8-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
tooyoungtowed.org...#/community-expectations An interesting indeph website on the subject.

It highlights the overlap between child brides and child slavery.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
S&F
Its sex slavery and nothing else ! Young girls are forced to marry because their parents can´t afford them to be eduacated nor offer them carefree childhood and they have the illusion that marrying them to adult men gives security to those poor girls which is an illusion. Men marrying child brides do not offer them eduacation or security, they do it only for sheer lust. Domestic violence is flourishing in these countries.

In India caste system is one of the cause of arranged marriages, marrying out of your own caste is forbidden. Even caste system is illegal as well as child marriages, it is stil strong in India. Maternal deaths and child mortality rate are highest in the World.

Men who marry children and teenagers conceiving them are nothing more than traditional/religious beasts, they don´t have to marry underage but they choose to.. what does it tell you ? in western world we would call them pedophiles.

It´s a sad World !

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I think the practice is disgusting and dehumanising.
I watched a programme about it where it was happening in india, these girls were getting married very young, getting pregnant before their bodies were fully developed to bear it, then suffering complications after pregnancy such as incontinence and then to top it off, being rejected by the families they married into because of those problems. Some of them even loose the ability to bare children, making them even more "worthless" in the society they live in.

Its truly disgusting. But lets at least understand the reasons as to why it happens.
It is mainly in rural area's where children are required for labour on farms etc. There's isnt much education available for your average joe and attitudes to women being educated are negative, as they are seen only as a mean's to make more labourer's so the family can farm the land. With women already in such a position, they effectively become second class, they're individual needs come after the needs of the family/society.

So effectively, marrying them off is a NEED of the family as its one less person to take care of, this rules out her individual NEED to be of a mature age, so that the complications of carrying a child/giving birth are lowered.

These girls/women are often treated very poorly by the families they marry into. It really is no life for anyone. I feel so sorry for these women :/

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered

It isn't one religion that does this or renders it the norm.

No, not one, but just a small handful....and that handful needs to be held accountable....looking at you Islam, Hinduism, and Mormonism.....

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Those are different cultures with their own values,laws and concepts of right an wrong. America does not really have to be the world police in every situation.
edit on 6-8-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

I think the western world should be the " other voice" regarding this and it is illegal usually. So why shouldn't the western countries defend the rights of minors world wide?

Infact if this happened significantly more the world may just improve.

I mean technically these children are not ready for marriage hence the criminal activity that it is.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered

So what do you propose Western countries do? Invade the country and start bombing them indiscriminately. I mean I feel for the girls in this situation I really do. But what can we do besides reprimanding the nation where this is happening for not being vigilant enough to stop it?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
reply to post by Superhans

I think the western world should be the " other voice" regarding this and it is illegal usually. So why shouldn't the western countries defend the rights of minors world wide?

Because we are not the world police. Americans would flip out if middle eastern countries started telling us how illegal and imoral it was for us to let our women dress up the way they do.

Infact if this happened significantly more the world may just improve.

And by "improve" I will assume you mean "westernize".
edit on 6-8-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Um it happens that western countries have gone into other countries and changed things for the better.

No going in and just starting war wont solve anything.

But encouraging education for all children does help. And setting up a system whereby they have somewhere to escape when they are sick of the constant abuse - would for sure help.

It is being done anyway in some location. But fact remains it continues to exist, again due to family pressures - some people within even these communities find it to be abhorrent.

top topics

join