It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14-year-old anti GMO teen schools ignorant TV host

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
A debate between Kevin O'Lear and 14 year old Rachel Parent. The first 30 seconds of the video has poor sound quality. The news report starts at about 30 seconds.
The presenter is aggressive in his interview techniques with the young girl. She holds her own well and dodges his attacks. Eventually he conceeds that we need to have GM labelling and that we are the experiment.

Her name is Rachel Parent, and she’s suddenly an internet sensation for her cool-headed debate about GMOs on a popular Canadian TV show. (She’s also the founder of the Kids Right to Know GMO Walk.) As you’ll see in the video below, Rachel calmly argues for the basic human right to know what’s in our food, even as the condescending bully of a host named Kevin O’Leary verbally assaults the girl and practically accuses her of murdering children.

Read more: www.trueactivist.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Yes. That certainly was an ignorant TV host. What a surprise.
Usually TV hosts are highly intelligent and well informed.

edit on 8/6/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Well it is her generation that will likely suffer more from any adverse side effects that may be caused by consuming GMO foods.

I'm proud that she is speaking up on this issue and I agree, people have the right to know and make our own choices as to what foods we put into our bodies.

Also labeling would help those that have food allergies to contend with.

I love what she says here:

GMOs are a dangerous global experiment using human beings as lab rats, and consumers should have the right to know what they’re buying or eating.

You go girl......

edit on 6-8-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

This story should give us all hope for the future.

The TV host scum bag has got to be paid off. It was like he was talking from a script.........SCUM. His family must be so ashamed of him. What a big man trying to undermine a kid trying to do the right thing.
edit on 6-8-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
My my my, that young lady certainly was highly intelligent and well informed. One could only hope that she becomes a master arguer. These creeps with the attitude of that T.V. presenter try to muffle their opponent by asking the question: "are you against science?" and expecting them to shrivel up in shame. The way scientific discovery has been abused and misused is legend in the last 70 years. Fukushima is a perfect example of this cavalier attitude, and the licence against criticism and sanction that scientific efforts maintain.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Wow, that girl is smart. Smarter than those two grown up douches put together. She crushed them. They then go on to ridicilous arguments to try to save themselves.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

What a big man trying to undermine a kid trying to do the right thing.

Sounded more to me that he was asking her all the questions she wanted him to. Sort of just repeating the misinformation that comes from the anti-GMO crowd.

You're right. It did sound like a script. A script to make the girl sound good.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I was like. So what bio company does that guy work for.

It definitely sounded like some sort of odd play.

A very strange interview certainly.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Kevin O'Leary isn't just a talking head on TV. He does have a pretty solid business background to say the least. There should be some middle ground where we can research GMO stuff without it being rammed down people's throats by the Monsanto's of the world. I think it's a promising field that is fraught with lots of potentially very good and very bad things. We need to proceed cautiously.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Kevin O'Leary isn't just a talking head on TV. He does have a pretty solid business background to say the least.
He asked stupid questions. He was actually repeating anti-GMO talking points for the girl to respond to.

There should be some middle ground where we can research GMO stuff without it being rammed down people's throats by the Monsanto's of the world.
There is, it's called avoiding the rhetoric (all of the rhetoric) and looking at the actual research.

It seems that the anti-GMO crowd is doing it's share of ramming. And a lot of it is not exactly...factual.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I heard Ethical and responsible science. Used to be that was what scientific progress was but then science married corporations, now the only opposing view would come from a competing corporation, instead of an independent study.

Science for the betterment of mankind not for the bottom line...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
I was like. So what bio company does that guy work for.

It definitely sounded like some sort of odd play.

A very strange interview certainly.

I get the same impression too. These people are trained actors to push an agenda. It was a very bias interview in which common tactics where used to negate her argument. Luckily she seemed to remain cool and stick to her argument without getting side tracked.
It was unfair to try and use people will die if we do not have GMOs. No one cares about the food crisis. There is enough food in the world already. We have a distribution problem. As usual the crops grown in the poorer nations will end up on the international market because the people growing them cannot afford to eat them.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Hi, GOOD-food fans !

That dude is always off topic.
And, he is in some other ridiculous TV programs. . .

!!! WE WANT TO HAVE ON THE LABELS THAT THERE IS GMO IN THE FOOD !!!
?? That's all ! ! IS IT SO COMPLICATED ??

I can't believe any one can be on the side of those greedy liar$,
and be against our SIMPLE desire to have the info ON THE LABELS !!!

I DO vote with my wallet and try NOT to eat those greedy companie$' crap$,
by eating almsot ONLY ORGANIC food !!

And I love to see on many labels:

Blue skies.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You keep talking about the research that shows gmo's are safe, but offer no links to those studies. Where are the long term studies from unbiased organizations?

I agree with an earlier poster, you are not acting right. After you came back from a lengthy break something doesn't seem normal about your posts.

Could this be a conspiracy in itself, Phage selling his account to the highest bidder?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jaws1975

You keep talking about the research that shows gmo's are safe, but offer no links to those studies.
You noticed.

Where are the long term studies from unbiased organizations?
That's why I don't post links. I would be accused of cherry picking.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm encouraging people to avoid the hype (no matter where it comes from).

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Honestly I didn't see Mr. O'leary coming off as that big of a jerk. I thought for him, if you've seen Shark Tank, that was pretty mild on what he can be. It's his job to debate the topic at hand...he happens to be for GMO and the 14 year old girl is against (not entirely against it but wants proper labeling and testing done). Had this been an adult female we wouldn't have thought this imo.

I am not against nor for GMO as I see benefits of GMO but I also understand the potential hazards of it. Great debate and nothing sinister on either side.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I got this girls back.
Labeling GMO's is not anti science!
It just gives the INDIVIDUAL the decision whether or not they want to be a guinea pig to these big corps GMO testing. If people are ok with eating GMO's that is their choice at least, others who aren't ok with it should be able to know if the food at the super market contains GMO. What is the big ******* misunderstanding people are having with that concept? Beats me.

Why are many people, government, and corps against simply labeling it? This is Earth, we are people, forced GMO is among us, profits may have something to do with it, depopulation, hidden agenda, combination of the forementioned??

We should know what is in our food, and be able to make the choice weather we want to take part in consuming it. period! Any argument against that simple statement, to me, is idiotic, usually aimed at derailing from the above topic (labeling). Hell, just look at Leary did in the OP video.....Good example.

Don't even get me started on the environmental effects.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by llmacgregor

Here's an idea. Instead of labeling GMOs, why not label non-GMOs? Just like organic produce? You don't see "This produce is not organically grown" labels do you? Yeah, organic stuff costs more. But that's because they cost more to produce. Takes more work to go organic.
www.nongmoproject.org...

We should know what is in our food, and be able to make the choice weather we want to take part in consuming it.
I agree. But, apparently in California anyway, not everyone feels the same way.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yeah, that would use Ink I suppose.
Same concept and outcome. It would be easier to recognize a "NON GMO" label then a little "gmo" hiding in the long list of a food ingredients I would hope.

I stand corrected.
edit on 6-8-2013 by llmacgregor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join