It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Screwed Again. Divorced 3 years - Ex Files for bankruptcy and I Get to Pay

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Wife divorced me in 2010. Split all liabilities and assets. I cover health insurance @ $490 a month. I pay daycare. Three years later she files for bankruptcy and today I received notice for collections for over $8k - for her bills.

She left me for a millionaire who of course was cheating on her and dumped her a year and a half later. She said I was not making enough $ to support her lifestyle - she said she was superior to me and deserved better...I own a house, a new car, have a great job, many friends and a great family. She has nothing, no friends, no home, and has had 4 jobs in the past two years.

Why should I have to pay her debts? How long do I have to pay for giving this person everything I had?

ColoradoJens
edit on 5-8-2013 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
sounds unfair, but if she is claiming it there must be a legal loophole she is using to ream your legal cornhole.

maybe move to a country without a payment agreement with america and stop paying her any thing

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

Thanks for the post. It is a medical debt for our child. I have always faithfully paid my half of medical expenses and I will obviously pay for these. I, for one, am indebted to those who saved my child's life - and I will pay these bills. Still, this upsets me. And I can't move to another country due to my kids and our agreement. I actually stand by my word unlike others.

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
You have my sympathy. I also have an ex-wife that will not stay out of my life.

ps- I thought you were a girl before.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Take her to small claims court.
See what the judge says.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Collection people are nasty - they often time get a commission for collecting the money.

If you have a divorce decree or any court paperwork stating her share of the debt send it to them. If they take you to court, provide it to the courts.

Are the debts still in your name???

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Wow, Google it real quick n sound like may be screwed

Pay debt when files bankruptcy?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Ha! A couple posters have said that. Perhaps the "Jens" threw you? Old Danish name. Sorry to hear you understand what I'm dealing with...just when you think things are ok...

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Take her to small claims court.
See what the judge says.

Amount is over small claims restrictions. Would cost more to get a lawyer. Stuck.

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

You are right about collections people. The debts were in her name. Because it is a child they can come after me.

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

The divorce laws in this country have to change. My sister wants to get a divorce from her husband who is an alcoholic and never wanted to work. Her 2 kids have been pleading for her to divorce him for years. He lost his job and is now working a measly job just to support his daily drinking habit. My sister was always the bread winner in the family, paid for the mortgage, car insurance and other major expenses. He just paid for the utilities.

Their house had depreciated by half the value because of the housing market. He never helped out around the house. In jest, my sister always said she would have made someone a good a husband, considering she did all the repairs around the house in addition to the housework. The guy is extremely lazy, and never lifted a finger to help take care of their house. I swear he wouldn't even know how to use a screw driver if you put it in his hand.

She now is trying to put her daughter through college, and is really getting stressed out because she doesn't have the money for the divorce. The attorneys say her husband is entitled to half of her pension and alimony! This guy is perfectly capable of working and supporting himself. He has a small pension from the job he lost. Why should a spouse have to support someone who is clearly capable of working and supporting himself? It's not my sister's fault that he settled for a low paying job, even though he graduated from college.

I can understand splitting the house and possessions and even if they had joint accounts and investments. I can't understand however, how courts can justify taking half of the other person's pension in which they personally worked for. Not only that, my sister would be responsible for paying all court costs. I can see how some people can get really stressed out going through a divorce.

It sounds like your ex doesn't want a husband, she's just interested in finding someone who can supply her with the material things in life. It's sad that the courts can't recognize that each spouse worked to gain their particular status in their chosen field. To say the lesser of the two should reap that benefit is just plain wrong.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

You should not be responsible at all for any debt incurred after the divorce. if it was joint debt from before the divorce you could need a lawyer, with the circumstances of the divorce you still would probably not have to pay, if it is like mine was in CA.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Unfortunately you will learn the divorce decree and what the judge ordered does not matter and the bank do not care.

Judge had ordered my wives ex husband to take her name off the mortgage for their house since she was no longer living there. The mortgage company told the judge to go pound sand and there's nothing he can do. Since their divorce he has not paid his mortgage several times and it ruined my wifes credit and she will never recover her credit.

And other bills as well. Judge ordered that he take over the $900 cable TV bill they owed. But the cable company will not remove her name from the account even after being sent paperwork from the court. Now the cable company calls us every day for their money even harassing ME.
edit on 5-8-2013 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Wow sounds like your laws are all screwed up over there!
When my x legged it she filed for divorce. I agreed on condition she had no financial claims on me whatsoever, she agreed and signed, Job done!

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

This I agree with. It is a shame that the divorce laws are so arbitrary. I can't fathom really how stupid they are. Sucks indeed but of course I feel an obligation to pay the doctors who helped my little man beat cancer.
Funny how superior people feel "free" as she told me, letting others foot the bill for saving their kids life. Sheesh.

And this:

It sounds like your ex doesn't want a husband, she's just interested in finding someone who can supply her with the material things in life.

Sucks I fell in love with a vampire.

CJ
edit on 5-8-2013 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

You should not be responsible at all for any debt incurred after the divorce. if it was joint debt from before the divorce you could need a lawyer, with the circumstances of the divorce you still would probably not have to pay, if it is like mine was in CA.

Well Char-Lee I am meeting my attorney tomorrow to discuss it. The debts were incurred after the divorce. I'll update once I know more. Thanks!

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WP4YT

Indeed. I have already had my wages garnished for a debt the judge and decree ordered her to pay. Funny how it seems like the divorce decree is a binding legal document until one party decides not to follow it.

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Wow sounds like your laws are all screwed up over there!
When my x legged it she filed for divorce. I agreed on condition she had no financial claims on me whatsoever, she agreed and signed, Job done!

Christ, I wish I lived where you do.

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

I feel for you....truly.

But, at least you are divorced.
And to that extent she IS out of your life

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Divorce never ends well and the residual affects rear their ugly head for eternity.

I have an employee who has been married 7 times.

When his dad died he was left with over a million dollars.

Every time he was married and got a divorce he lost half of everything.

He is now Not married and has no money at all. He lives week to week.

He is the sourest person against the female populous I have ever met.

edit on 5-8-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join