It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graphene supercapacitors created with ‘traditional paper making’ process, rivals lead-acid batte

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
XL5

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yes, I do know what the curve looks like, thats what a boost converter is for. I'm also sure that explosives still have more power density then capacitors. To get a real explosion from a capacitor, you can not just heat the air as that doesn't transfer power to other objects that well, you would need to vapourize copper or water to transfer more power. That said, capacitors of the size needed to do non-EMP damage cost more then explosives.

Cars kill more people then terrorists...

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
Yes, I do know what the curve looks like, thats what a boost converter is for. I'm also sure that explosives still have more power density then capacitors. To get a real explosion from a capacitor, you can not just heat the air as that doesn't transfer power to other objects that well, you would need to vapourize copper or water to transfer more power. That said, capacitors of the size needed to do non-EMP damage cost more then explosives.

Cars kill more people then terrorists...

you seem to be ignorant of the fact that SIMPLY short circuiting the capacitor will cause millions of amps to flow causing an explosion.

no heating required.

just look at youtube videos of small lithium ion batteries exploding.

now imagine supercapacitors with no limits to output current...

is updating your facebook status every few minutes on your smartphone powered by a supercapacitor really that important?

XL5

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
LOL I understand that powerful air explosions are bad and can kill if large enough. What I am saying is that it is not as bad as shorting it in a tub of water. I also don't think millions of amps will pass through anything short of a 5" in diameter wire. Even then, it will still heat the wire ends enough to increase the wires resistance enough to reduce the amps alot AND blow away whatever caused the short. Sure, if you get a capacitor with voltages over 500V, it will make a loud bang and pass more current but that can be done with ANY capacitor.

I have seen/made lithium batterys explode, I have blown wire up with a large 4KV 800uF capacitor bank, its not as bad as you may think. I would say they should ban fire if they ever ban capacitors or even the "perfect" battery. Watch the video of some one shorting a bank of ultra capacitors...he lives!

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

I think you just shorted a 300V 220uF cap and now fear them.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by beckybecky
you seem to be ignorant of the fact that SIMPLY short circuiting the capacitor will cause millions of amps to flow causing an explosion.

You seem to be ignorant that capacitors have an Equivalent Series Resistance, which limits the peak output current.

edit on 14/8/2013 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe

Originally posted by beckybecky

You seem to be ignorant that capacitors have an Equivalent Series Resistance, which limits the peak output current.

edit on 14/8/2013 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

yes but these are graphene capacitors have very low series resistance.

also the CAPACITOR will explode if short circuited giving suicide bombers and terrorists anther weapon to terrorist America.

we must ban these right away and make it a federal offense to develop or build a super capacitor under National Security Laws with mandatory prison minimum sentences of 20 years

XL5

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Oh....oh...wait... I think, ahhh carp it was sarcasm all along! It couldn't be anything else!

Dynamite has an energy density of 7.5MJ/Kg, C4 has an energy density of 6.3MJ/Kg.

An ultracapacitor has a energy density of 0.15-0.17MJ/Kj.

Even if ultra capacitors had a power density closer to C4, they have none of the energy to sustain output for a longer time (although still very short).

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by beckybecky

Lol i'm not the sharpest tool in the box.

Yes the should be banned

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by XL5

Well aside from terrorism I think these could be applied to modern tech to simply increase the efficiency and reduce the costs of devices we already have.

Current laptop batteries are EXPENSIVE in comparison to what can be achieved here. We could be looking at the destruction (oops terrorism alert) of adoption barriers due to cost.

If the graphene proves a good conductor it could be adopted into circuitry and greatly reduce the use of precious metals in all sorts of technology.

Also it is non-toxic so disposal of outdated devices could become less harmful to the environment.

All in all I see the potential for good outweighing the bad.

-FBB

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I'm waiting for the day I can put an order in for my Graphene 3D Printer.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monkeygod333
4 years ago I saw on Sky news that they have found a way to charge conventional batteries in seconds by altering the way the power is funneled into the battery.

At that point I thought, Wow, now this is a game changer. Havent heard a word about it since, nor have I seen any type of battery opperated applience using this tech.

We will only see these products decades from now when their patents have long since expired. Duracel and the like will see to that I am sure.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Yep you answered your own question lol. If then, most of the time these things get bought up, stolen, or somehow discredited so that nothing changes with any regards to energy. Thinking small for phones, I am thinking ramp it up to electric cars, houses etc, but any threat to big oil or big energy is quickly sent into the aether, never to be seen again.

You ever heard of Newman I think it was, he had whole new way of thinking towards energy and atoms, his machine was never given a chance and he was drummed into obscurity. It has happened a long time, remember tesla, free energy, free you say, make no profit, well he ended up penniless and died alone and all his work he left behind mysteriously disappeared.

The Bot

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lagnar
UhYup :/

As iterated in earlier replies...as soon as you start talking about it extending the life of batteries in ANY way, it's all over, and you can bet it will be quashed immediately...no matter what else it would revolutionize.

The real question we should be asking ourselves here is just how many revolutionary inventions and discoveries have had the same potential, only to be put on the back burner, or in "they"re private pockets, while we all get to continuously and absolutely needlessly suffer through 19th century (sometimes 18th) technology that threatens to kill us every time we use it?

What's dif about this tech is that the news about how simple this is to make, is globally recognized, and if the Corporate Fascist Oligarchy that is United Scam of America, tries in anyway to stop this, you're going to see this crop up in other countries and be imported to the states.

There's no stopping the graphene revolution. Im sure Samsung/Apple are already all over this.

What was put to a stop, is nuclear isotope plasma battery, which can run the power to your house for decades on the size of a shoebox. A number of scientists around the world workiing on this tech have beenconvieniently dissappeared quote unquote

top topics

<< 1   >>

join