It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans threaten to shut NBC and CNN out of debates over Hillary programming.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Talk about shooting themselves in the foot; the RNC is threatening to shut NBC and CNN out of partnerships in the debates for the 2016 elections unless they cancel the Hillary biographies they have in the works.

RNC threatens to shut out CNN and NBC from presidential debate partnerships

In letters addressed to NBC Chairman Robert Greenblatt and CNN President Jeff Zucker on Aug. 5, Priebus warned that RNC members intend to vote on a resolution at their party-wide meeting later this month to shut out the networks from partnering with the party on Republican primary debates if they do not cancel the programs.

"Out of a sense of fairness and decency and in the interest of the political process and your company's reputation, I call on you to cancel this political ad masquerading as an unbiased production,” Priebus wrote. "If you have not agreed to pull this programming prior to the start of the RNC's Summer Meeting on August 14, I will seek a binding vote of the RNC stating that the committee will neither partner with you in 2016 primary debates nor sanction primary debates which you sponsor."

Yahoo news

You can read one of the letters here (they are both worded pretty much the same)

I don't think there's much they can really do at this point to stop these programs from airing. Sure, the programs will serve as free advertizing for any Hillary 2016 campaign but, the way they are going about it makes them look childish and petulant (I'm gonna take away my ball if you don't play by my rules
). I'm sure the press will have a field day vilifying them over this.

To top it all off; if they do shut out these networks from their debates, it will probably mean those networks will have the top ratings on the day of the debates.
They are also providing free advertizing for the Hillary programs in the process of fighting against them.

Not the brightest move IMHO. :shk:
edit on 8/5/13 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
A political party trying to demand what a media company does and does not broadcast is not going to go over well. Republicans are supposedly the party of small government...and yet they want to demand what companies can show.

Republicans need all the media exposure they can get for the 2016 elections...they need CNN and NBC more than CNN and NBC need them. It won't stop them from having a Presidential debate...the only difference is that the Republicans won't be there...so it will either be a Q&A with Hillary or they will invite a third party to replace the Republicans.

Not a smart move by Republicans at all...the only ones that will like this move are those that are lock step party members that will be voting for them no matter what.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Ah republicans being republicans. no matter if no one does it, they will make sure people get something to make them look bad.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I don't believe there is anything but sour grapes in advance to whine about at this stage ....although if/when she becomes a candidate? Oh..Yeah..they have a VERY big axe to grind. Something about fair time and access for national political candidates through the broadcast and major media networks? In fact, I think there are outright laws on such things..... So they'll have a real case to pound on, but not until she's official. Right now she's just a former first lady and former Cabinet official.

link   
OK, so the DNC will simply respond by cutting FOX NEWS out of debates.

link   
I can understand their general argument, and actually (surprisingly) agree that they should try to dissuade the networks from showing the program.

But

If we then consider their propaganda network (Fox), they show endless loops of anti-dem flicks, films, and other such items of nonsense (Hannity's specials of why Obama is a sleeper cell terrorist and the like and how if you vote for him, America will explode).

So, this isn't a stance about a network supporting a candidate...its just not supporting -their- candidate...and they are ultimately then saying your either fully on our side like fox, or perfectly neutral..

I could put endless links of their lovefest with whomever has a R in front of their names, their family specials, etc.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Until they give third party candidates a shot at being in the actual debates (instead of a mockup broadcasted on RNT that barely anyone watched or heard of), I could care less about them. It's not like they ask any real questions in these things and when they do the candidate just deflects until the time is up. They are just a huge sham.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
That's should look bad to anyone with sense. Does that attitude sound like people who will fairly run the country with the best interest for it.

Same old stuff for the political arena.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I'm really starting to wonder if the GOP isn't trying to shoot themselves in the foot intentionally to lose the upcoming elections. Maybe they know total collapse is coming and hope to blame it on the Dems who will have total control if things keep going this way.

Can't wait for the O'Donnel, Santorum ticket in 2016
. That's sure to appeal to their wacko base and just as sure to lose big time.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
They should let NBC and CNN continue to shill for the democrats ... call them out it repeatedly ... and then put into production their own miniseries on Christie or Jindal or Rubio or whoever it is that the GOP is thinking about. (my guess is Christie ... he's gotten big donation money from both Soros and Rahm Emanuel. Fight fire with fire.

And in the mean time, hopefully Americans will wake up to what the Democrat/Republican thing really is and decide to vote third party. That'd be nice.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
OK, so the DNC will simply respond by cutting FOX NEWS out of debates.

that's no big lose, they probably wouldn't want to be there any way.
and they can always pick up the story from the others networks, just like they all do.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well Romney wasn't responsible for Benghazi.

Romney didn't say what difference does it make.

Romney isn't the only going around throwing the word 'phony scandals' around.

CLinton and company, and NBC and CNN are shilling for the current admin.

And the issue is?

Doesn't everyone have their own debates?

Believe they do.

Who has shut out Fox News for the last 5 years?

The left doesn't get outraged about that.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The Hill machine is about to run the RNC down... looks like all they could do to stay afloat..

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Talk about shooting themselves in the foot; the RNC is threatening to shut NBC and CNN out of partnerships in the debates for the 2016 elections unless they cancel the Hillary biographies they have in the works.

How are they shooting themselves in the foot? A news outlet should not basically have free advertisement for any candidate.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Trying to bully a major news outlet is bad PR. The way they went about it is all wrong and the media is gonna have a field day with this story.

They should have protested the timing of the programs but, stopped short of making silly threats.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Trust me, neither party is looking forward to debates with the recent revelations that the executive branch urinates on the constitution daily.

I would not be surprised if some "dispute" didn't result in the cancellation of all debates with both parties in a live environment. Too painful for the controllers.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

The media needs to be real careful on how much they cry and scream...or people might recall two little words. "Fairness Doctrine"..and that damn sure was no conservative rallying cry. Notice though, it was only a 'necessity' to look into and pursue when the political winds were blowing the other direction. Now? You simply never hear the term used. Anywhere. Funny how that works.

Sayings about throwing rocks from glass houses come to mind here.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I hope all the major media channels implode over something like this. The media is the single most form of control over the American people and they have no business spinning politics and elections they way THEY want it. The media can go to hell, it needs to be completely destroyed and built back up. If/When it is built back up, it's one entity that needs to be highly regulated and placed in check. Nothing pissed me off more than the 2012 elections and their piss poor reporting on Ron Paul. Can you tell I'm sick of the media?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

The media needs to be real careful on how much they cry and scream...or people might recall two little words. "Fairness Doctrine"..and that damn sure was no conservative rallying cry. Notice though, it was only a 'necessity' to look into and pursue when the political winds were blowing the other direction. Now? You simply never hear the term used. Anywhere. Funny how that works.

Sayings about throwing rocks from glass houses come to mind here.

The Fairness Doctrine is no longer a policy of the FCC, hasn't been for a long time.

If it was, Fox News would be in violation daily.

Funny how the RNC doesn't mind Fox News running specials on their candidates, but cries when other ideologies are given time on other channels.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
They should let NBC and CNN continue to shill for the democrats ... call them out it repeatedly ... and then put into production their own miniseries on Christie or Jindal or Rubio or whoever it is that the GOP is thinking about.

Hmmm. All three of those guys are largely considered out for 2016. Not to say they won't try, but the GOP is looking farther to the right...and there is a bit of fierce dislike of Christie by the GOP base right now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join