Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Exclusive: U.S. directs agents to cover up program used to investigate Americans

page: 1

join
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Exclusive: U.S. directs agents to cover up program used to investigate Americans

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - A secretive U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration unit is funneling information from intelligence intercepts, wiretaps, informants and a massive database of telephone records to authorities across the nation to help them launch criminal investigations of Americans.

Although these cases rarely involve national security issues, documents reviewed by Reuters show that law enforcement agents have been directed to conceal how such investigations truly begin - not only from defense lawyers but also sometimes from prosecutors and judges.

The undated documents show that federal age
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
WTH! Of course we knew mission creep was going to happen when the NSA started surveillance of everyone and everything. They crossed that line in 1994! The government has been lying to the American yet again. This time the government is using intel gathered by the NSA and sent to the DEA for drug investigations. The officers were not told to go to a truck top and look for a truck... then when they busted the person the police pretended that it was just a random bust and that the investigation juts started at the stop when in reality the DEA sent data which initiated the contact and started the investigation. Every officer who knew this and did not tell the judge, defense or other party involved with the trial have committed perjury....

today the real terrorists are the police and government who have shredded the Constitution into confetti.....

www.reuters.com
edit on 5-8-2013 by fnpmitchreturns because: clarify
edit on 5-8-2013 by fnpmitchreturns because: add

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This could certainly have far reaching implications on those already convicted and possible overturning of numerous cases. If the information can truly be proven to have come from prior to having a legal search warrant or phone tap then any and all information gathered from such means would have to be thrown out and a re-trial would ensue. Without having any information admissible in court I would say most of these cases would have to be dismissed.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I highly doubt any of that is going to happen. We seem to rely on our court system being free of the corruption that has ravaged our executive and legislative branches, yet they have shown time and again that the judicial system is just as corrupt as the other branches. We will probably see few if any retrials as a result of this information being released.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
2 Sentences of the argument:

The undated documents show that federal agents are trained to "recreate" the investigative trail to effectively cover up where the information originated, a practice that some experts say violates a defendant's Constitutional right to a fair trial. If defendants don't know how an investigation began, they cannot know to ask to review potential sources of exculpatory evidence - information that could reveal entrapment, mistakes or biased witnesses.

www.reuters.com...

Paraphrased, it means they typically say something like the following: "from an anonymous source", or "from a confidential source". That's it. That's what many agencies do, to protect the witnesses.

How it got all Englishified into a dubious claim, well, that the watered-down woo woo isn't it?

See, picture this: you see your neighbor Jack, he's put a big container of a controlled substance into his truck. You call the DEA. Oh wait, no you don't; you call the police, and they do nothing, because they're getting kickbacks, or their son is an addict, whatever. So you call the sheriff, he tells you to move...yeah, that's not what you were hoping to get. So you call the DEA, or better yet, put a tip on the Internet. Then a week later Jack is looking at you differently. Oh he knows. How did he know except the police told him, or a member of the press that finds the reports at the same moment that they reach law enforcement's inbox. And the DEA doesn't get into it because they're after the global narco terrorists not Jack. So after they blew you off as someone for a witness stand, they put in their papers, "from a source that wishes to remain nameless", and then they go to Jack and offer him incentives if he rats out his supplier.

Jack doubles his money and then tells all his friends who is a whistleblower, and the DEA stands back to watch the mess, because domestic disputes are not their jurisdiction. But then you're victimized and you see what the DEA did, and that's actually what they're watching, the person who did the report to see what they'll do next. Or they're trying to save a buck and they'll farm those computer searches out to a lesser authority, which is usually a room full of people, like Jack, who are trying to work off their sentences. Meanwhile, Jack is pissed, and he screws with pertinent information from you after your whole civic duty thing of reporting crime. Oh, and the computers are the halfway point to true intelligence, so while they're investigating, there are concurrent investigations, some not even of your own country, looking around to who stopped their logistics, because they thought they had a deal with the CIA.

My point is, the news reports that they want the true #1 witnesses, mostly because they're the foreigner group who wants to find out who stopped the logistics. So this Reuters article is the bigger question, who paid for its publishing in the great propaganda?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - A secretive U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration unit is funneling information from intelligence intercepts, wiretaps, informants and a massive database of telephone records to authorities across the nation to help them launch criminal investigations of Americans.

Although these cases rarely involve national security issues, documents reviewed by Reuters show that law enforcement agents have been directed to conceal how such investigations truly begin - not only from defense lawyers but also sometimes from prosecutors and judges.

The undated documents show that federal age

I was just coming to post this.. Beaten to the punch yet again. I find this to be incredibly concerning. The fact is it doesn't matter if it is the NSA OR GCHQ or anyone of the other "Five Eyes" partners who are part of Echelon... You and I and everyone is being spied upon. The idea that the DEA would have officers act as if it was coincidence you got pulled over is very very alarming. The Surveillance in 1984 seems mild compared to what is actually taking place. For reasons that mystify me they were not able to have a good grasp on the recent Al-Qaeda jail breaks from 3 different locations. Over a thousands prisoners were freed!! Isn't that exactly the type of thing the NSA is trying to convince you that it has been able to stop? I am sorry to say that that stopping Al-Qaeda takes a back seat to the continued expansion of the total police and surveillance state.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A secretive U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration unit is funneling information from intelligence intercepts, wiretaps, informants and a massive database of telephone records to authorities across the nation to help them launch criminal investigations of Americans. Although these cases rarely involve national security issues, documents reviewed by Reuters show that law enforcement agents have been directed to conceal how such investigations truly begin - not only from defense lawyers but also sometimes from prosecutors and judges. The undated documents show that federal agents are trained to "recreate" the investigative trail to effectively cover up where the information originated, a practice that some experts say violates a defendant's Constitutional right to a fair trial. If defendants don't know how an investigation began, they cannot know to ask to review potential sources of exculpatory evidence - information that could reveal entrapment, mistakes or biased witnesses. "I have never heard of anything like this at all," said Nancy Gertner, a Harvard Law School professor who served as a federal judge from 1994 to 2011. Gertner and other legal experts said the program sounds more troubling than recent disclosures that the National Security Agency has been collecting domestic phone records. The NSA effort is geared toward stopping terrorists; the DEA program targets common criminals, primarily drug dealers.

mobile.reuters.com...

As Snowden and Greenwald have alluded to... The leaks so far are just the very tip of the iceberg. My mind shutters to think what more they are doing. So much for The Bill of Rights and any sort of illusion of privacy at any time.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The fact that all of our calls are being open to the DEA so they can look for leads for their next home invasion goes against everything this country was built on. The average American was too distracted by the television, the propaganda, and trying to earn a living while they used a phony war erode the individual's right to privacy, the pursuit of happiness and our freedoms. We are past the point of no return, the DEA, DHS, ATF, ect.. are here to stay and their policies will continue until the breaking point. We the American citizen, the Patriots of this country are defenseless against them. Anyone can fall victim to the DEA, and even people who just said NO have had their lives ruined by them. There are examples all over.

For those who do not know who undercover DEA agents work, here is a quick summary from what I know. First they are sent to a school that teaches them how to walk, talk, and dress like people in the drug trade. They are taught how to make meth, they are taught what the street price is for drugs in a given area, they learn the lingo. Then they go in the field and try to befriends people they suspect involved in the trade, they will be given a place to live and they will even have a cover job it many cases . The undercover agents are allowed to buy, sell, and use drugs and keep the profits. They have romantic relationships with people they are investigating. They will do this for years and feeding the intel back to their handlers. Often when a bust happened they are arrested too so they will not blow their cover.

It is an act of treason in my opinion but still the masses do not get it. Our prison population has exploded because of the War on Drugs, but still the masses do not get it. Still more than half of the US citizen either do not care or too scared to take a stand against the tyranny. I feel we are getting close to the breaking point, but they are their own paramilitary organization so resistance has to be well planned and Patriots going on the offensive against the tyranny is suicide.

Our phone calls, texts are not sacred. The 'echelon' type monitoring system is real and instead of being used to find 'terrorist' as advertised it is being used to take down people who are getting are profiting from the War on Drugs without Uncle Sam's permission, yet the big players still are allowed to rake in billions from the trade.

The US will fail in my lifetime without a revolution, the bankers who control the dollar, control the wars are on a collision course with those who want the petro-dollar to end. With an intellectual revolution it could all happen peacefully, however given the mentality of the average American I fear an intellectual revolution may be impossible and a bloody revolution/war is inevitable.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Excellent points.. You make almost the exact same arguments I have been making since before Day 1. I did not know the details on how undercover DEA operate but it does not surprise me. I am concerned with the bigger picture. We allowed this to happen!! That is the part that is just mind blowing. They assembled this police state and total surveillance system while we were distracted by the television and media who have only been tools of Distraction. You are right again when you say there is nothing that can be done about it now. The chance to place these programs in check has passed. Too much money involved and too many people employed to turn back now. The idea Congress was going to put restrictions on the NSA is laughable. It is more of the illusion that so many brain dead Americans have bought into.

I also believe the embassy closings and travel alerts are part of a bigger widespread effort to distract us from this Surveillance fiasco.

US embassies in the Middle East are to remain closed for the rest of the week as supporters of the National Security Agency's sweeping surveillance powers used the unspecified terror alert to bolster the case against reining in the controversial measures. A privacy group questioned the publicity given to the latest alert after the State Department announced on Sunday evening that the number of embassies and consulates closed "out of an abundance of caution" would be increased, with some remaining shut for up to a week. It follows the alleged interception of unspecified al-Qaida terror threats in Yemen, which intelligence committee members in Congress have been told were collected overseas using powers granted to the NSA under section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Most criticism of the NSA following revelations by whistleblower Edward Snowden has focused on its domestic surveillance powers under section 215 of the Patriot Act, but the NSA's supporters seized on the terror intercepts as a way to defend the beleaguered agency from criticism of this bulk collection of Americans' phone records, which is unlikely to have played any role in the current al-Qaida intercepts. Rebublican senator Saxby Chambliss said the NSA had identified threats that were the most serious for years and akin to levels of "terrorist chatter" picked up before 9/11. "These [NSA] programs are controversial, we understand that," he told NBC's Meet the Press on Sunday. "But they are also very important … If we did not have these programs, then we simply would not be able to listen in on the bad guys." Senator Lindsey Graham added: "To the members of Congress who want to reform the NSA program, great. If you want to gut it, you make us much less safe, and you're putting our nation at risk. We need to have policies in place that can deal with the threats that exist, and they are real, and they are growing."

Further and I totally agree with this quote.

But the widespread linking of the latest terror alerts with the debate over the domestic powers of the NSA has begun to raise concern among privacy campaigners, who fear ulterior political motives. Amie Stepanovich, a lawyer with the Electronic Privacy Information Center, said: "The NSA's choice to publish these threats at this time perpetuates a culture of fear and unquestioning deference to surveillance in the United States."

www.theguardian.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Base closings a distraction?

It reminds me of during the Bush regime and how if Bush's approval rating started to slide there was without fail a corresponding increase of the color coded alert system from Yellow to Orange or whatever. The Government has a pretty low estimation of your Intelligence and ability to think for yourself.

There is a reason every Country on Earth uses propaganda.. It works! They know that deep down you are more concerned with who advances on American Idol then the fact they are watching every aspect of your life.

edit on 5-8-2013 by GArnold because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 5-8-2013 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by GArnold
reply to post by jrod

You are right again when you say there is nothing that can be done about it now. The chance to place these programs in check has passed. Too much money involved and too many people employed to turn back now. The idea Congress was going to put restrictions on the NSA is laughable. It is more of the illusion that so many brain dead Americans have bought into.

I am not sure if nothing can be done about it. If somehow we can manage to vote all Democrats and Republicans out of office that certainly would be a start. Also the battle ground right now is the propaganda machine, we can still get our message out there.

Our government is weak and broke, the corporations and banks who influence the laws, fund the wars, ect.. are the ones who we need to take down. However most of our elected officials are in cahoots with those said entities so voting all D's and R's out and vote in honest people could possibly be the start, that may be impossible because my gut tells me our election system is rigged.
edit on 5-8-2013 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Secret courts. Secret rulings. Secret investigations. Secret evidence. Secret witnesses. Secret protocols. Secret agents. Secret units. Secret bureaus. Secret surveillance programs. Secrets, secrets, secrets.

I'm glad we're free.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Oh, ok more "freedom."

gee thanks, we dont have enough tyranny as it is. yea, lets make that worse. cause everyone loves this whole anti american way of life.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
All right, I'm keeping this article. So basically, the U.S. legal system is completely not following any laws and is not in any way legitimate. What this story tells me is that someone could get arrested for and charged with any crime (not just terrorism) without due process, without a warrant, without reasonable cause, or any of that.

How many Americans is the legal system planning on arresting, exactly? All of them?

There is a reason that you don't enforce rules in a totalitarian manner - if those laws are off their rocker, and they are enforced in a totalitarian manner, that is NOT going to work.

Are drug laws resulting in unethical and unrealistic felonies tolerated now? Yes! Because people can reasonably get away with it. But if they are enforced in a totalitarian manner?

The government better be ready for HEAVY civil unrest when people realize that the unethical laws passed by congress are actually going to be enforced illegally.

If my dad doesn't let me leave the house after 6:00 p.m. but goes to sleep at 7:00. there is room for alleviating that stress. But, if my dad suddenly starts enforcing the rule, there is going to be HEAVY CONFLICT.

And this is not just about drugs, using the data collected, this could be about ANYTHING - they could enforce laws on farmers, for example, or pretty much every single person in the U.S. (literally) who has violated any ridiculous law out there that wasn't enforced DUE TO THE FACT THAT IT WAS RIDICULOUS.

You can't have unethical laws and totalitarian enforcement of them, that will not work, that will always result in civil unrest.

On the plus side, this might increase voting turn-outs and people caring... or... decrease them because everyone is going to be a felon for something or other.

Sorry, this is infuriating. In some states, for example, acting on gay sexual desires is a criminal offense. That could theoretically (and why bother with theory, as its obviously being put into practice faster than we know) be something enforced in a totalitarian manner, as well.
edit on 5-8-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

That's kind of a sissy angle if you ask me.
What a bunch of wimps to hide, instead of ride tall in the saddle.

I guess I'm just "old fashioned".

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I have noticed something. On various other forums where I have posted about these issues in the past, people used to laugh and me and make stupid jokes. If you said a word about it, people came out of the woodwork to make fun of you.

People don't seem to be laughing anymore. In fact, I have noticed in a lot of those places, those same people aren't talking about this at all. They don't laugh, they don't whisper, they don't even comment. When a thread about this gets posted, it sinks like a stone.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Missed seeing this shared here. Though, I believe it didn't get enough attention as deserved. "PARALLEL CONSTRUCTION", is not limited to just the DEA. It includes the Navy as well and in being used in many states. It's unconstitutionally collecting data from people's computers that are not even tied to criminal behavior, through scanning everyone, in Washington State. Here's a link to the court PDF, from Courthousenews --see here

top topics

join