It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm A "Scathing Atheist." Ask Me Anything.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HairlessApe

We're pretty off-track at this point, but I'll give two examples of a fairly newly-discovered (or postulated, depending on how you look at things) mechanics to the universe - dark energy and dark matter. If the postulation is correct, these mechanics play a bigger role than gravity in the formation of the Universe.

Aren't those both hypotheses, much like the idea of God?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy

We're pretty off-track at this point, but I'll give two examples of a fairly newly-discovered (or postulated, depending on how you look at things) mechanics to the universe - dark energy and dark matter. If the postulation is correct, these mechanics play a bigger role than gravity in the formation of the Universe.

Aren't those both hypotheses, much like the idea of God?

No. Dark Matter/Energy are legitimate hypotheses because there is scientific evidence which backs the speculation behind them. No such evidence exists for God. If it arises, I will change my viewpoint. But it hasn't yet. I'm sorry, but I'm going to cut out conversation off here. I feel like I've been answering the same question for 4 or 5 posts now.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
You want to wait for science to do the work for you, before your willing to subscribe to something. I believe humans work best when reaching beyond their current paradigm, when enough people do that it forces institutions like science to step their game up. Why hasn't that happened yet? Maybe because power hungry governments have stifled and downright shelved technologies that would have helped to set humanity free, and furthered our understanding of the universe.

Your God seems to me to be Government! You are allowing whatever they give the ok for science to release as the gospel of reality. In essence they are the decider of what is supernatural and what is not, right?

Use your own critical thinking to ponder questions beyond science's great truths. Like how does our consciousness change matter from wave to particle form? Or what is the power behind quantum non locality? Science has given us a few bread crumbs to ask the bigger questions, but don't expect Science to serve it to us on a platter.

That's what faith is all about, feeling that there is so much more to us than what our five senses can perceive.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaws1975
That's what faith is all about, feeling that there is so much more to us than what our five senses can perceive.

That may be where your sense of faith comes from, but I would argue that not all of the faithful would agree with such a sentiment.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

No. Dark Matter/Energy are legitimate hypotheses because there is scientific evidence which backs the speculation behind them. No such evidence exists for God. If it arises, I will change my viewpoint. But it hasn't yet. I'm sorry, but I'm going to cut out conversation off here. I feel like I've been answering the same question for 4 or 5 posts now.

There are plenty of people who have had faith-based experiences.
Perhaps you haven't because you're not looking for such...?

If we, as humans, have not yet reached definitive conclusions regarding matter and energy, how can we be ready to arrive at conclusions about the source of it all?

I must personally conclude that your conclusions about God are inconclusive.

Good day sir, and thank you for fielding my questions.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Use your own critical thinking to ponder questions beyond science's great truths. Like how does our consciousness change matter from wave to particle form? Or what is the power behind quantum non locality?

Ironically, those are questions only science can answer. You do realize quantum physics is a science, right?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Leave peoples beliefs alone .. your entitled to your
beliefs and so are they..

/

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy

There are plenty of people who have had faith-based experiences.
Perhaps you haven't because you're not looking for such...?

As I've stated many times already, I did seek faith-based experiences. Almost all Atheists have at some point. I don't know why, despite repeating this over and over, believers keep shoving this back at us. Guys. I want to go to the magical six-flags in space with all my dead loved ones when I die too. I just don't believe it's going to happen.

If we, as humans, have not yet reached definitive conclusions regarding matter and energy, how can we be ready to arrive at conclusions about the source of it all?

Again.. Something I've repeated over and over and over and over... Science does not purport to know the answers conclusively... It only purports to be able to give us the best approximations. I'm not sure why my statements regarding that are repeatedly ignored.

I must personally conclude that your conclusions about God are inconclusive.

Sure, but so are every single one of yours. And the ones you claim to be able know aren't backed by any proof (or evidence, for that matter)

Good day sir, and thank you for fielding my questions.

You're welcome, thanks for asking them.
edit on 5-8-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

Leave peoples beliefs alone .. your entitled to your
beliefs and so are they..

I'm sorry?

I'm opening myself up to answering questions about MY beliefs. I'm not telling anyone to stop believing in their own. Does something about that offend you? If you're about to tell me yes, then why are you allowed to be offended by my beliefs, yet you hold me to a standard in which I am not allowed to be offended by yours?

In fact, I've told people directly in several of my posts in this very thread that they're entitled to believe whatever they wish, and I did not say so in a negative manner...

Maybe you'd have known that if you didn't jump to conclusions so quickly.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I'm A "Scathing Atheist." Ask Me Anything.,

You are also delusional.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

As I've stated many times already, I did seek faith-based experiences. Almost all Atheists have at some point. I don't know why, despite repeating this over and over, believers keep shoving this back at us.

No one has shoved... you created this thread not to prove you're right, but to see if you're wrong. (I thought you we're cutting me off, BTW...)

Anyhow, what do I know? I'm just a Buddhist fool.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

Use your own critical thinking to ponder questions beyond science's great truths. Like how does our consciousness change matter from wave to particle form? Or what is the power behind quantum non locality?

Ironically, those are questions only science can answer. You do realize quantum physics is a science, right?

That was my point, we must require science to pursue those ends. Currently it's not a priority for them, try reading a book called The Field by Lynn Mctaggart. It highlights how certain scientific breakthroughs have been squashed, and how the peer review process is severly flawed and biased.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I see. I guess I just misinterpreted your thread title then. I've seen so many of those "I'm an ascended master of the 12th dimension, ask me anything" threads on ATS, that I just sort of assumed yours was predicated on the same sort of arrogance. My apologies

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
What a fantastic thread

I'm almost upset that it didn't get more flags. People regularly complain that ATS has gone down hill and yet when a thread like this comes along they don't bother giving it the flags it genuinely deserves.

HairlessApe.
You chose to ignore AlienScience. I'm not sure why, and I'm not asking for answers. However, I find myself in agreement with part of what he said.

Actually, you are wrong on what "atheist" stands for. Atheists simply don't believe in gods, it says nothing about their viewpoints and how they are "opposed" to religions.

My point is this.
I'm a non believer, the whole idea of a supernatural being just seems absurd to me, and when I tell people that, they label me as an atheist.
I dont like being labeled in this way because I am as described by AlienScience. To call me an atheist in the way you describe does not fit me. I couldn't give two hoots if people want to believe in a god, all I care about is that I personally do not.
So, what am I?
I don't believe in gods, but I wouldn't consider myself anti-god either because I simply don't (usually) waste my time thinking about it.

I'm not a wordsmith so I hope that makes sense?

and thanks for a fantastic thread

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
It is very disappointing to see that you have decided to ignore the hard questions.

This could have been a good thread, but instead you decided to ignore the questions that actually present a challenge to you.

You shouldn't feel too bad about it, this is what happens with most atheists I have conversations with.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by straddlebug

I'm A "Scathing Atheist." Ask Me Anything.,

You are also delusional.

How do you figure?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

That was my point, we must require science to pursue those ends. Currently it's not a priority for them, try reading a book called The Field by Lynn Mctaggart. It highlights how certain scientific breakthroughs have been squashed, and how the peer review process is severly flawed and biased.

Surely it's quite a bit less "squashed" than it was when religion was the prevailing law of the land.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

I see. I guess I just misinterpreted your thread title then. I've seen so many of those "I'm an ascended master of the 12th dimension, ask me anything" threads on ATS, that I just sort of assumed yours was predicated on the same sort of arrogance. My apologies

Not a problem. I know exactly the kind of thread you're talking about, and I know how ridiculous they are. (Doesn't take an expert to make definitive claims about that, does it?
Not trying to be a smartass, just making a joke) Unfortunately, some people are quite hostile towards me simply because of the worldview I hold. I thank you for being able to change your attitude after finding out what my goal is. That's more than many are willing to do.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
What a fantastic thread

I'm almost upset that it didn't get more flags. People regularly complain that ATS has gone down hill and yet when a thread like this comes along they don't bother giving it the flags it genuinely deserves.

HairlessApe.
You chose to ignore AlienScience. I'm not sure why, and I'm not asking for answers. However, I find myself in agreement with part of what he said.

Actually, you are wrong on what "atheist" stands for. Atheists simply don't believe in gods, it says nothing about their viewpoints and how they are "opposed" to religions.

My point is this.
I'm a non believer, the whole idea of a supernatural being just seems absurd to me, and when I tell people that, they label me as an atheist.
I dont like being labeled in this way because I am as described by AlienScience. To call me an atheist in the way you describe does not fit me. I couldn't give two hoots if people want to believe in a god, all I care about is that I personally do not.
So, what am I?
I don't believe in gods, but I wouldn't consider myself anti-god either because I simply don't (usually) waste my time thinking about it.

I'm not a wordsmith so I hope that makes sense?

and thanks for a fantastic thread

Let me clarify.

The "new atheist movement" often seen as being spearheaded by the late Mr. Hitchens identifies as "Anti-Theist." Perhaps the term Atheist comes from Greek and quite literally means "the absense of theism," but that is not what "New Atheists" identify with, and many serious members of that community, (which in my opinion is the most prevalent Atheist community there is - and that comes from many years of testing the waters of different forms of Atheism) believe. We refuse to identify as Agnostic (for several reasons - two of which are the fact that agnostics are often apologists towards organized religion - and the second is the fact that prevalent agnostics often fail to recognize the prevailing science in order to keep from offending) or admit that the fact that our worldview is incomplete is a weakness. Hitchens discusses this in almost every single debate he was called to while he was still living, (and yes, I've seen nearly all of them) yet those opposed to his views seemed to ignore him or refuse to acknowledge his point. Regardless of the semantics, that is what many Atheists believe.

Not all Atheists are "anti-god." Even Richard Dawkins says that if new scientific information arose in support of god his opinions would change. Atheism simply purports that there is currently no scientific evidence of a God as defined by religion.

edit on 6-8-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlienScience
It is very disappointing to see that you have decided to ignore the hard questions.

This could have been a good thread, but instead you decided to ignore the questions that actually present a challenge to you.

You shouldn't feel too bad about it, this is what happens with most atheists I have conversations with.

I've answered it in the above post due to popular demand. To be honest, I stopped replying because I took your posts as hostile and rude because of the way they were written - and I do not feel obliged to humor anger. If I failed to address any points please ask them again in a civilized manner and I'll give you an answer to the best of my ability.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join