It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit approves $650 million hockey arena despite being bankrupt...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The sports teams .. and especially the Red Wings .. are all Detroit has.
The city can't recover IMHO.
Detroit is a legacy team. And they get awesome ticket sales.
That being said, the money should have come from the team.
The people in Detroit can't afford it.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
What good is a new sports arena when you'll be mugged, stripped and likely beaten before you get from your car to the ticket gate? Probably by 3 entirely different criminals!

the IRONY of what you said there made me choke on my coke.
considering the LAST TIME they "built a new hockey stadium", was just for THAT VERY REASON.
if you took public transit, you stood a good chance of being mugged, if you drove, chances were you would have no car left (well maybe the frame).

i remember as a kid passing that old stadium, like many buildings it had been left abandoned and empty for years.

one thing i would like to know not just in regards to Detroit, but ALL cities with major sports teams. why do they always expect to be given buildings and arenas? if they can AFFORD to PAY PLAYERS MILLIONS, don't you think THEY could well afford to PAY for it THEMSELVES?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

one thing i would like to know not just in regards to Detroit, but ALL cities with major sports teams. why do they always expect to be given buildings and arenas? if they can AFFORD to PAY PLAYERS MILLIONS, don't you think THEY could well afford to PAY for it THEMSELVES?

They play the emotions and pride of the city. new stadium or I take my toys and leave.

The football Oilers left Houston then a new owner got a team and a new stadium.

The city of Baltimore tried to hold it's football team hostage and the owner slipped the team out at night.

Crazy stuff this big sports business.

edit on 8/5/2013 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

The same thing happens everywhere, A corporate entity approaches a public official and offers a bribe that he/she can not refuse if they hand over the public money to that corporation and as Detroit will be back on top with a few very wealthy individuals walking out of this downturn owning most of that city and essentially being property emperor's they also have a long term stake here as it will undoubtedly attract further investment to that city so it actually may end up being in Detroit's medium to long term interest, Watch that space, If I had the money I too would in that city (like many vultures circling it are now doing) as the investment if well made would be certain to quadruple the investors initial overlay but the time for the regeneration relies solely on those few individuals whom are already almost absolute owners of the city.
People desperate for job's equals cheap labour (though it is evil and unethical it is a fact), the rising price of production and labour as well the falling value of western currency are sure to bring production back to these area's in a big way but how long is the question and what corporations are already readying the ground for future investment - this may also be why the said individuals are investing and buying the city up as they know it will be a boom town and they can than rent/sell at a premium.
I feel sorry for the people of Detroit at the moment but in 4 to 20 years it will be a major destination for those desperate for gainful employment.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Can't pay city salaries or pensions but can build a sports arena... Private interest is completely out of control or rather completely in control.

Random sign reads:

The heart of the problem
corporate financing of political campaigns
leads to corporate control of the country

Can't think of anything more apt to describe everything wrong with America today. Just wait til the TPP goes into effect.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Detroit isnt paying: the Illyitch's are. Little Ceasars owners, Red Wings owner and a ton of other places. Fox Theatre etc. The whole family owns everything downtown. Sport teams, land, etc.

Look into the Illyitch family and Olympia Emtertainment. They own everything and are worth millions and millions...Red Wings are theirs...they own Tigers and Red Wings...
edit on 05/05/13 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
While I don't necessarily agree this is a good time for this project, I'm pretty sure the Redwings sell out the majority of their games. So this will bring a lot of revenue down there.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinner07
So this will bring a lot of revenue down there.

Yeah, for the privately-owned team.

Detroit is a major league toilet. Anyone who has had the grave misfortune of living near of visiting that city agrees. This is such a stupid move, but it's in no way surprising having witnessed that city's leadership firsthand.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

The hockey arena will generate tax revenue for the city and county.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Shocking!!

Maybe taxpayers should fund this…I’m sure it will bring revenue to the city (that’s what the investors are saying).

Look, nobody is going to that hell hole until the crooks and thugs are cleaned out. If the city is paying for this bogus investment then people need to be looking at who is making the money!! The kickbacks tell the story…follow the dirty money (it is dirty...same money that's been paying off city officials all along)!!

I think the state of Michigan needs to bring back the long rope…there are too many people deserving of the royal treatment. I almost can’t believe there are holdouts (those who are STILL THERE even though the city has already been flushed down the drain by these douche bags) who aren’t crying foul yet!!

ACTUALLY, I know why. Anyone still there continues to believe the BS they’re told by TPTB in Detroit. Once you get hooked on that BS Kool-Aid you can’t get off.

edit on 6-8-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

When the banker asked his son (who he was grooming to be a banker) what do you do when you have put yourself into something that is starting to fall apart ? the son answered, go deeper.............why? because at this point you have nothing to loose except other peoples money.

This has been the way for ever, why would "THEY" even consider changing now?........................we as the tax payer certainly don't seem to care, we are totally happy to just complain.

Do think "THEY" have us pegged????

edit on 5-8-2013 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Look, nobody is going to that hell hole until the crooks and thugs are cleaned out. If the city is paying for this bogus investment then people need to be looking at who is making the money!! The kickbacks tell the story…follow the dirty money (it is dirty...same money that's been paying off city officials all along)!!

The Detroit Tigers and Detroit Lions play in Detroit now....near the area of the proposed hockey arena.
Games are well attended there.
There are tailgate parties at the nearby Eastern Market parking lot.

The Detroit Symphony plays nearby.
Those concerts are well-attended.

The Wings now play next to the Detroit River in the downtown area....those games are usually sold out.

There is an extreme sports bike area newly built nearby.

So, someone still feels safe enough down there

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Because that makes money and they need to make money. When you're poor, you have to spend a bit to start a business. Same thing, same idea.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
That theater looks perfect for a rave.
I've been to a few raves in Detroit that were very similar to that theater. Raves in Detroit are usually held in run down abandoned buildings like that theater. They make for some cool settings.

One rave I was at was called The Bank. It was in an old warehouse on the Detroit River. There were pillars inside that looked kinda like Roman architecture. There was a spiral staircase that went to a basement. It was from the early 1900's. In the basement there were tunnels everywhere with separate rooms. There was about 300 people there. Lots of drugs and debauchery.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

The Detroit Tigers and Detroit Lions play in Detroit now....near the area of the proposed hockey arena.
Games are well attended there.
There are tailgate parties at the nearby Eastern Market parking lot.

The Detroit Symphony plays nearby.
Those concerts are well-attended.

The Wings now play next to the Detroit River in the downtown area....those games are usually sold out.

There is an extreme sports bike area newly built nearby.

So, someone still feels safe enough down there.

Well there’s a difference between stopping by for a few hours to watch the game and moving there or investing in a business there. I don’t see anyone doing that until the trash gets taken out (figuratively speaking).

The Olympic Games will be held in Rio de Janeiro in 2016. Have you checked the crime stats there?
You’d have better safety walking down the streets of Baghdad. I’m sure the games will go off without a hitch and then the city will return to its crime ridden norm. Sports brings money and people (temporarily) but it won't change the culture for the better.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join