It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Censorship in the Classroom: GA schools on evolution; TX schools on marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It seems as if politics are taking a stronghold over every aspect of life in today�s world, and for this generation�s youth, the hold is stronger, and more important than ever. With the issue of gay marriage rights filling up the election campaign, sooner or later it would reach the youth, and on November 5 of this year it did; through textbooks.

www.cbsnews.com
Evolution:

County school officials said their warning, in the form of stickers inserted in science books, simply encourages students to keep an open mind.

The stickers read: "This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered."

Gay Marriage:

The State Board of Education approved new health textbooks Friday after the publishers gave in to last-minute pressure from some board members to define marriage as a "lifelong union" between a man and woman.

Board member Terri Leo, a Republican, said she was pleased with the publishers' changes. She led the effort to get the publishers to change the texts, objecting to what she calls "asexual stealth phrases" such as "individuals who marry."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The United States government, religious groups, civil rights groups, and other activists are in a constant power struggle over who has the right to silence the arguments of others in American classrooms. A popular issue, evolution, continues to be fought over to this day, most recently in Cobb Country, Georgia, where science books now come with warning stickers advising students to keep on open mind when discussing the origin of life and that evolution is merely a theory. Though this piece of information is repeated numerously in textbooks and teachers are encouraged to step on as few toes as possible, uttering the phrase, "it�s just a theory," to keep up with the fast pace of a politically-correct America. While religious groups fight for creationism to be taught in schools alongside or in place of evolution, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1987 that creationism was a religious belief, forbidding it to be taught in schools, while evolution is not connected to any religion and is classified as a scientific theory.

But hitting even closer to home for many Texas students is a new development in political agenda to take charge of, though supposedly unbiased, Texas schoolbooks' definition of marriage. On Friday, November 5th, The Texas Board of Education approved new health textbooks after pressuring publishers to adapt this small, but politically driving definition, pushed largely by Board member Terri Leo. Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, a major publisher of Texas textbooks, now includes a definition of marriage as a "lifelong union between a husband and a wife," into its middle school books, while the definition was already implanted into Holt�s high school editions. Leo refers to the former definitions as "asexual stealth phrases" and believes that children should know that "marriage is between a man and a woman," even though this ban on same-sex civil unions is not a national law and appears to be more of a personal morality statement than for the well being of American students.

Glencoe/McGraw-Hill, Texas�s other major publisher, recently altered phrases such as "partners" to "husbands and wives" and "when two people marry" to "when a man and a woman marry," reiterating Texas�s Republican stronghold against same-sex civil unions. Reports from Holt spokesman, Rick Blake, confirm that the publisher will not be adapting its definition of marriage in books sold outside of Texas. Another Board member, Mary Helen Berlanga, tells that "We cannot start censoring books because we do not like the terminology," as all books without the changes were rejected by the board in a 10-4 vote.

Political agenda has always infiltrated the boundaries of public education, though it seems as if a bias remains in education towards whichever political party is in office. Bordering on propaganda, Texas Board members have voiced their opinion on the matter, though individual school districts are allowed to choose books that were not approved for the board. Which books are selected will prove to be a political statement, whether or not it is meant to be. As the censorship of phrases, ideologies, and political agendas run rampant through the nations airwaves, schools across Texas must be prepared for a political battle they never bargained for, and an even more restricted education than before.

Related News Links:
www.cbsnews.com
www.nytimes.com
msnbc.msn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
SOCIAL: Constitutional Amendment defining marriage.
SOCIAL: Gay Marriage

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
wow...this surprises and saddens me, i'd say i'm conservative, but not over things that have no effect on me eg gay marriage.

oh and the creationism taught in schools is absurd, lets teach reincarnation as well because its atleast as plausable as creationism.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

evolution is not connected to any religion and is classified as a scientific theory.

Sure ...
anyone that still believes in evolution has NO excuses

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MattMarriott
anyone that still believes in evolution has NO excuses

I really freaking hate people who barge into a thread just to post a link to some crackpot theory their nieghbor made up

Anyway, in response to the subject at hand-

Get rid of the evolution sticker. Now.

As for marriage definition, I'll wait. If the DOM Act is passed (God willing it isn'tm but...), then might as well leave it in. If not, well, it doesn't matter what the book says anyway.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Ok, the evolution thing is fine, Im of the opinion that everything should be approached with an open mind. And it's true that while scientists have extensive proof to go along with their theories, in truth they are still theories. On the other hand with this text book thing with going back to relationships should only be between a man and a women, havnt the people who have started this in motion though about the risks, risks of more hate crimes, of young men and women who have homosexual feelings in those schools being targeted more, more beatings, and possible deaths of these students? Shouldn't education be enilightening, teaching us not what "beleifs" are but actuall facts about the human race? Deny Ignorance indeed.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   

The United States government, religious groups, civil rights groups, and other activists are in a constant power struggle over who has the right to silence the arguments of others in American classrooms. A popular issue, evolution, continues to be fought over to this day, most recently in Cobb Country, Georgia, where science books now come with warning stickers advising students to keep on open mind when discussing the origin of life and that evolution is merely a theory.

The real issue is not about being able or not to teach "creationism". The real issue is to continue to be able to prevent exposing the evolution lie.

Because, not only since 2004, the evolution theory hoax is as easy to expose as the footage of the "747 that crashed in the Pentagon".
That's what my link above is all about.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The evolution LIE? No, actually, that's really NOT what this is about.

This really IS about teaching creationism. Christian groups conclude that if they can teach evolution, they should also teach creationism. Absurd?

YES.

Look up the court ruling, since when is evolution a religius theory? I can't stand the idea that "well, its not a fact, its a theory, so if you put your belief into a theory, that means you have faith in it, making it a religion."

WHAT? That's the most round-about "thought process" I've ever heard.

matt Matriot- I'm all for people having their own personal views, but when your post says nothing more that "Sure..." and then provides a link to some internet story , it really makes it seem as if you have no ideas about this of your own and are completely basing everything you believe on the words of someone you dont even know.

Kinda sounds like blindly following the BIble! Ha!

How about we have a discussion on your views, instead of you just saying how "easily exposed" these lies are. Easily exposed? Prove it.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Theres already been a thread on the texas school book issue, this "terri leo" seems obbsessed with forcing her right wing christian views on school kids

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Personally I think its digusting, Children should'nt have this sort of stuff forced on them.

Relgion should be a choice, that the child slowly devolpes over time, However most children are brainwashed into believeing Reilgion X because they are taught by there parents/schools not to question it, because thats the way they were brought up and so on.

I personally went to a "Church aided" school during the ages of 4-11(Not because my parents are religous, but because it had good grades etc) and if anything it digusted me even at a young age that it was nothing less than brainwashing.

Education and Religion have no place together, I wish people would let there kids decide THEMSELVES when they reach adulthood what they want to, if anything practise

[edit on 10-11-2004 by cheesegoduk]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Cheese- I'm very sorry I didn't cath your post, I wrote this aticle a couple days ago for my newspaper. I did a search for this topic before I posted the article, but nothing remotely like it came up. I'm very sorry!

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Nah tis fine Scat, If anything I'm happy that this issue is being made aware to more people, and my post didn't include anything about the science book issue, I was unaware of it myself so thanks for posting about it

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Everything is cool Senor Cheese

The evolution sticker is crazy, its insulting to our intelligence. I know, I took a biology class last year, the teacher was literally forced to reenforce the fact that ITS JUST A THEORY about 50 million times just so that our little evangelist clubs at school wouldnt get pissed.

Ugh.

In hisotry classes they teach about prehistoric man, but nobody's getting up and preaching about that.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Interesting however that they fail to state that the bibles "creation" story is just a "Theory" as well(It is when you think about it, no real prove other than whats written in a book)

Nice to see double standards in action !

new topics

top topics

join