It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police kill armed 14-year-old boy on NYC street

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
reply to post by jdub297

Obviously not enough to understand that someone who is in the process of firing a hand gun is hardly likely to clearly hear a vocal command.

That's a fair point to note and ponder but it's no panacea to absolve the kid of responsibility. If the Police account is accurate (and I'll take it as such until some other evidence exists otherwise) then he still aimed a firearm at them. (literally still smoking from shooting at someone else) I think the issue of whether he heard them clearly is a valid one for considering HOW this all happened but it really changes nothing to the outcome.

If the cops see a gun point at them? They are going to kill what is holding it, and hopefully, in their mind, before they take shots themselves. It's important to remember, the absolute #1 priority for any cop, every shift and regardless of ANYTHING else, is to get home in the same condition they left that morning. Everything else, like second guessing during a life and death event, comes a very distant second while facing immediate threat to #1.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
I think this is the answer to your question. It's called Operation Impact.

For more than seven years, the first assignment for nearly all rookie New York City police officers has been to patrol "impact zones" with the highest crime rates, often on foot and without backup. The program is credited with decreasing crime but has also been blamed for officer burnout and overly aggressive tactics

They use the rookies to "flood" the area with officers.

www.nyc.gov... 2F%2Fwww.nyc.gov%2Fhtml%2Fom%2Fhtml%2F2004a%2Fpr007-04.html&cc=unused1978&rc=1194&ndi=1
Can't get link to work.

www.motherjones.com...
edit on 4-8-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

Man.. That's a horrible idea. Don't they realize that's the type of thing tbat makes bad/jaded cops? Maybe that's the intention, drop them in the nearest thing to a warzone, on foot with no backup.

If it happened as they said then it sounds like a justified shooting. Wonder if they found the running man and he can corroborate.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
reply to post by jdub297

Obviously not enough to understand that someone who is in the process of firing a hand gun is hardly likely to clearly hear a vocal command.

Uh.. Ignoring the fact that he was trying to shoot someone with an illegal gun, most people would lower their gun before turning. He heard them and he should have known the risk of pointing/shooting a gun in the city.
edit on 5-8-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Rev Al Sharpton will you please stand up, please stand up! Where is the outcry! When is the march on Washington? Cop did his job, so you must protest!

I'm not bashing the cop who shot this kid at all. He was in the right! The only thing I can think of that will get the cop in hot water is the single shot to the head and not the text book 2 to the chest.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
A few things of interest in today's NY Daily News about this "kid."

He was, apparently, a menace. He had already been arrested for attempted murder and weapons possesion. He ran with a gang that was involved in all things crime, including drug peddling.

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I just think the officer felt his life threatened when he saw the suspect pointing the fun at him, I even a heard a version on Mexican TV that the suspect took a shoot too. Imo the cop just had an standard the reaction of shooting back or defending his life, despite the suspect's race or age.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join