It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police kill armed 14-year-old boy on NYC street

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This is not a cop bash story. So, I doubt it'll get stars, flags or 1,000 replies all praising the OP as inspired and genius or something. Oh well... If I actually wrote my little pieces for that, I'd have given up a long long time ago.

I'm bringing this to share for two reasons. First, this is a tragedy and I hope others in NYC may have more information from a local perspective.

Second? Read the details of these two Officers and someone please tell me. Is this common??

Two officers with the New York Police Department were on foot patrol when they heard gunfire at around 3 a.m. The officers responded to the scene and found the boy with a 9mm handgun firing shots at a fleeing man, authorities said.

The officers identified themselves as police and ordered him to drop his weapon, authorities said.

When he pointed his gun at them, one of the officers shot him, police said. The teenager was pronounced dead at the scene.

Cops hear gunfire. Cops run to scene in time to SEE suspect still firing on someone running away. Cops ID themselves as suspect turns to shoot them. Suspect takes one to the face and goes down. Likely dead as he fell by the sound of it.

I don't see the problem by what's been described. Not every action by police is bad and not every shooting is without necessity. However tragic it's outcome. This is my point of real curiosity?

The two officers had joined the department in January.

Source

Is it customary to have 2 cops with 8 months or less for time on the job out patrolling TOGETHER without a senior officer with them for support or..frankly, at that stage, training? This sounds to have happened as it needed to. I feel deeply for the cop in this case. I imagine he'll be seeing those moments and the visual of what his bullet physically did for the rest of his life. Are rookies commonly paired up though?

That part strikes me as calamity just waiting for the wrong events to present themselves?? This may well have been justified by the end of the review board's investigation, but the next one?
edit on 4-8-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: Added Link.... Ugh.. Where is my head today??

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
On top of the point you raise about the inexperience of this pair, is there any independent corroboration of the shots that were supposedly heard? How many shots did these 2 fire to get their one hit in the face of their target?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

Well, that is part of what I'd love to hear more from in a local resident. I could go google up every news source in New York but odds are, they're reporting and pasting each others content as has become so common lately. I know we have more New York members than one can shake a stick at, so I figure it shouldn't be too long for more in depth information. At least, that was part of the hope in sharing it.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Hey Mr wabbit, no links?

Whats the story? was the kid attacked and protecting himself? In which case he may well have pointed his gun at the cops not being sure who they were!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This is what happens when young kids start committing crimes and attacking random people. They're not all cute and innocent. This is reality.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Hey Mr wabbit, no links?

(horrified gasp) THANK YOU for saying something. The only thing worse than not sourcing a thread is not realizing it until after the edit time on the message has expired. Yikes!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I think this is the answer to your question. It's called Operation Impact.

For more than seven years, the first assignment for nearly all rookie New York City police officers has been to patrol "impact zones" with the highest crime rates, often on foot and without backup. The program is credited with decreasing crime but has also been blamed for officer burnout and overly aggressive tactics

They use the rookies to "flood" the area with officers.

www.nyc.gov... 2F%2Fwww.nyc.gov%2Fhtml%2Fom%2Fhtml%2F2004a%2Fpr007-04.html&cc=unused1978&rc=1194&ndi=1
Can't get link to work.

www.motherjones.com...
edit on 4-8-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by VoidHawk

Hey Mr wabbit, no links?

(horrified gasp) THANK YOU for saying something. The only thing worse than not sourcing a thread is not realizing it until after the edit time on the message has expired. Yikes!

And I think the board rolls a dice when it chooses the allowed edit time

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Is it customary to have 2 cops with 8 months or less for time on the job out patrolling TOGETHER without a senior officer with them for support or..frankly, at that stage, training?

Think I found your answer.

Operation Impact, the tactic employed by NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly in which new officers are assigned to the most crime-ridden areas of the city, was first instituted in 2003, and has been credited with reducing the city's crime rate. Opponents of the strategy argue that inexperienced officers alienate communities, and that more seasoned cops should be patrolling high crime areas.

gothamist.com...

Peace

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Sounds more like "Operation Blood The Rookies Quickly As Possible."

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I just think that it is horrifying the fact that 14 year old's are running around with guns

and its no longer surprising.

So sad.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

OH.. I see.... Kelly bowed to the vets in the department to give the FNG's (New people...
) the crappiest assignments in the city while the older ones could coast in nicer duty or just kinda retire on active duty in some cases. Well ain't that grand.

In the places where cops and judgement is MOST needed, NYC's Commissioner determined they would be LEAST likely to be seen. Hey, that's brilliant! .....if really alienating the whole community is the goal.

* Thanks to Maluhia as well for catching this, by the way. Thanks on the fast response!
edit on 4-8-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Do we know for a fact that they are both rookies?
Cops do job hop, juts like any profession, and they could have had significant experience with another department.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
This is what happens when young kids start committing crimes and attacking random people. They're not all cute and innocent. This is reality.

So you don't know who he was shooting at, and you don't know the circumstances, but you're willing to immediately say, without question, that the kid deserved to die?

What about all the self defense people keep screaming about? What if the kid was home alone and someone broke in, and he was defending his home? What if the one running was the criminal?

You know nothing about this case, and yet you have already decided exactly what happened and who was to blame, without knowing the stories of the officers, without knowing what any witnesses might have to say, without knowing who the person was running away or why he was being shot at.

It sounds to me like a tragic story whatever the explanation is. I would say that the parents should be investigated and the origins of that gun confirmed. If they allowed a minor to have access to it, they should be charged with negligence and child endangerment.

I would also say that, given the corruption rife amongst police forces all over the US, the statements by these officers should not just be accepted as the truth.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I'd love to know the "rest of the story". Why was the kid shooting?

I was charged for violation of the laws of land warfare back in '04. I shot the bodyguard of the representative of the PUK (peoples union of Kurdistan. I was treated for a short period of time as a war criminal. When stated like that it sounds like I was simply out shooting people regardless of what team they were on. Just another blood thirsty troop (if you know what I mean).

I was conducting site security for a government installation in downtown Baghdad. I had two soldiers at a vehicle entry point and four soldiers 200m into a serpentine approach lane. A burst of AK-47 fire ripped across the texas barrier above my forward position. I ran my ass off to the entry area and tried to get a sitrep. Several more bursts were fired just outside our view around the outer wall of the compound. Me and a fellow soldier "buttoned" the corner and viewed a man standing in the street with a rifle in his hands. I shouted "er fa yadaick" (raise your hands in our stunted Iraqi language). At which point he raised the rifle to his shoulder and brought it to bear on me and my soldier. Both of us engaged and the guy in the street was killed. We later found out that he was clearing traffic with gunfire (still have no idea why he shouldered the rifle on us). Needless to say I was cleared after about a week of investigation and "wheeling and dealing" with the PUK.

Every story has multiple angles. The trick in life is not to be sucked into choosing the angle for the wrong reason. Kid could have been robbing someone, could have been attacking a rival gang member, or he could have discovered a predator with his little sister. Without his side of the story I really can't form a solid opinion on this one. Time will tell.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

So you don't know who he was shooting at, and you don't know the circumstances, but you're willing to immediately say, without question, that the kid deserved to die?

No, I didn't read the whole article. However, the kid should have dropped the weapon and listened to orders. Don't turn around and point a finger at me for having an opinion. I have seen so many messed up people I'm not surprised by this news. I was just stating my opinion on the case.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
I'd love to know the "rest of the story". Why was the kid shooting?

Why does it matter?
It's illegal for a 14 year old to be in possession of a firearm.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
There in lies the problem I have with this situation.

Rural country kid shoots an intruder with his "varmint" gun, and people shout his praises to the roof tops.

Urban kid could be doing the same thing but "kids shouldn't have access to guns".

No bias there at all?

EDIT - OK I have read the article and am in the process of pulling my foot out of my mouth. This "kid" has prior weapons convictions and was in another shooting already? Even I have to call this cut and dry now. Jumped the gun a bit

edit on 4-8-2013 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Is it customary to have 2 cops with 8 months or less for time on the job out patrolling TOGETHER without a senior officer with them for support

It's called Lack of Man Power.

BUT, you are right once again.

Rookies with less than a years experience being turned loose with LIVE Weapons is all the makings of a disaster.

I like when I hear that a typical cop will go his entire career and never has to use his weapon. That is fairly encouraging. Then you read a story like this. It is definitely proof that it is required more often than not.

edit on 4-8-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Do we know for a fact that they are both rookies?
Cops do job hop, juts like any profession, and they could have had significant experience with another department.

I don't think it would be fair if I didn't acknowledge your point here. It's a perfectly fair one. We don't know for certain and you're right. Not every cop hired onto the NYPD is a greenhorn out of the Academy. Err... ya caught us all making an assumption. Bad bunny I am for that one, indeed.

(though the overall evidence does suggest it very strongly, I'll have to say)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join