It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Doctor is ...........................

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Peter Capaldi.
Good luck with one of the best jobs in the world.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I was utterly shocked when they announced it was him, with all the talk on twitter and the net and him being the bookies favourite to the point they suspended all betting on it, I literally spat my tea out when he walked on stage.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Wait...who? what?

I am not sure who that choice draws in. I simply don't understand that choice...at all.

Ya...I don't get it. Strictly speaking from a demographics point of view. With a plethora of tweens that jumped on with Smith, this will more than likely just have them tune out.

I don't know the man. I am sure he is a fantastic actor, just saying going from Matt to Peter is going to make many upset. I was actually expecting a younger Doctor since Moff said he was getting (generally speaking) younger and younger. Even the Doctor said he was purposefully getting younger (time clash...laughed that he kept using a older stuffy body to feel more important and clever).

Oh well.
I would have bet a nickel it was going to be Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley from Harry Potter)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I think it is a great choice! He is a very well established actor here in Britain, he was in The Fires Of Pompeii also.

For fans of The Thick Of It, i wonder if his confrontation with the darleks will be anything like this:

[SNIPPED]

edit on Sun Aug 4 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: image removed

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I just don't get this choice

There goes the 'innuendo' with his assistants, that would seem creepy... I can't see him in eccentric clothes either and he just looks mean, nothing paticularly endearing or loveable about him.

Will have to wait and see what he can do with it I suppose.

I can see the next series being much more mature, dark and less fun.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I was highly anticipating watching the special.
However I missed it.
Does anyone know where I can watch online in the states?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mister_Bit

Thats the point, he can't be another matt smith, every doctor is different. He will be more like Eccleson, vengfull, angry with alot of energy (more like Tennants energy as opposed to Smiths).

In my opinion, an older doctor is what was needed, be more like the classics. The new ones (Smith) seemed too immature and quirkey for the sake of being quirkey, i was worried that it was going to go down that route again (which is what happened after Baker), which ended up with the show being canceled.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks

Thats the point, he can't be another matt smith, every doctor is different. He will be more like Eccleson, vengfull, angry with alot of energy (more like Tennants energy as opposed to Smiths).

In my opinion, an older doctor is what was needed, be more like the classics. The new ones (Smith) seemed too immature and quirkey for the sake of being quirkey, i was worried that it was going to go down that route again (which is what happened after Baker), which ended up with the show being canceled.
You know what, I've just seen the clip of him introducing himself as the new Doctor...

Sinister for sure but he is growing on me already lol

edit on 4-8-2013 by Mister_Bit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Ugh! I did not want Peter Capaldi to be the doctor. He looks like a tired, quickly aging drunk.

edit on 8/4/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This is stupid.

So they're recycling torchwood actors now. Children of Earth. He was the main guy.

Do they expect people won't remember? Or does no one remember? In which case, dr who?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Heck, don't even have to go to Torchwood as he was in Who, Fires of Pompeii with 10 and Donna. Of course that's nothing new, tho lets hope Colin Baker appearing as Time Lord Maxill before becoming the 6th Doctor doesn't bode anything here. :-)

I too am very surprised they'd risk their cash cow's popularity with the Tweens after Tennant and Smithy as fan girls are already crying "Eww, old!" but of course if ratings drop the 13th Doc can always appear sooner than later! That said, I personally will certainly give it a chance just as I have with every regeneration and always enjoyed the Doctor's new persona if not always the writing and production values.

I do think Matt Smith pulled off being ancient whilst looking youthful with ease and easily is the best and most alien tho likeable Doctor since Tom Baker, with Tennant being quite fantastic as well. However, the past couple series have suffered GREATLY from overly rushed stories. I swear each story has excellent ideas and happenings but it goes by so fast, cramming so much in 1 45min episode that you can't even appreciate what you've seen nor does it have any time to affect the audience on an emotional level or have any weight or shock or gravitas. Hopefully they'll slow things down a bit and throw in some 2 parters so we can get our minds and hearts wrapped around and invested in the ideas and characters.

Also, there's a beer commercial on yewtoobe featuring a younger Peter C and he seems very Doctorish...sort of 8ish with some 4 thrown in. Certainly could be an excellent and more mature Doctor, and a lifelong fan. And they can always have some hunky male companion for the fan girls, Clara can flirt with him as the Doc will undoubtedly become more parental, tho I would love for his tin pup to come back for a few TARDIS Adventures (come on K9 boy!). :-)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
after seeing him as the angel islington in neil gaimons neverwhere i thought he would have made an excellent doctor.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I think an older doctor is just fine. I was wondering when they would have another. You can quibble if this is the -right- older doctor, but I don't argue the choice. This isn't a show about crushes on young dashing doctors. An older doctor is great because it sort of personifies wisdom and wit. Not sure why people would be so upset about this.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Ugh! I did not want Peter Capaldi to be the doctor. He looks like a tired, quickly aging drunk.

I agree with this. I had hopes for someone like Jude Law. Not necessarily Jude Law himself,
but someone like him. He's mature (not TOO mature), with a boyish side grin that is playful and fun.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Man just bring back Tom Baker for christ sake

I think people that are complaining about the new doctors age are forgetting the original series and what the average age of the doctors have been.

time to get a bit of maturity back in the show. The young goofy doctors get boring, I want to see the dark side of the timelords.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Not sure how this will go with the younger fans. They want someone to swoon over and an older guy won't give them that. We do need a bit more darkness in The Doctor and I enjoyed seeing a glimpse of it in Smith in "A Good Man Goes To War" [icy stare] 'Good men don't need rules" "Today is not the day to find out why I have so many". You could see rage in him, but he was mostly a silly, loveable type. Tennant's Doctor showed a bit more arrogance and temper. Even when he seemed to be happy, there was always something in his eyes that said, "Don't push too far". I'll give this one a fair chance, but it will be an adjustment.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I'm not ready to let Smith go so soon

I suspect they are going for a Tom Baker-esque doctor this time .

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It is an odd decision, Doctor who is more youth orientated now so you'd think that they'd stick with a younger actor.

Maybe they cast this guy because his appearance coincides with the story somehow. After all the doctor is nearing the end of his life span, and he only has one regeneration left...

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Wait...who? what?

I am not sure who that choice draws in. I simply don't understand that choice...at all.

Ya...I don't get it. Strictly speaking from a demographics point of view. With a plethora of tweens that jumped on with Smith, this will more than likely just have them tune out.

I don't know the man. I am sure he is a fantastic actor, just saying going from Matt to Peter is going to make many upset. I was actually expecting a younger Doctor since Moff said he was getting (generally speaking) younger and younger. Even the Doctor said he was purposefully getting younger (time clash...laughed that he kept using a older stuffy body to feel more important and clever).

Yep. At least somebody else is willing to say what needs to be said. They just shot themselves in the foot.
The whole reason the brand gained momentum, was two docs that appealed to fangirls. Does this guy? No.

The two fangirls in my house are both not happy about the choice, and I have to think it's indicative of other fangirl reactions. Stupid, stupid move.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

I think people that are complaining about the new doctors age are forgetting the original series and what the average age of the doctors have been.

From an art perspective...sure...but from a business perspective, they just threw a winning formula out the window, and pissed off a large majority of their fanbase. Is that really a wise decision? LIkely not. This choice may have just killed the franchise for the foreseeable future.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join