It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is reality real?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This questioned is getting asked a lot lately and the answer seems to be no. Reality seems to be a construct of the mind. Reality is our perception and beyond that there isn't any objective reality that we experience. There's an objective reality that creates experience but we don't know what that is. At the end of the day you can call it Maya, Tao or something else but it's a mystery. It's an unknown known.

You see it on shows like Through the Wormhole which had an episode called Is Reality Real. The Science Channel had a show called To See or not to See. NatGeo had Brain Games and ABC has a show called Would You Fall for It where they play a lot of mind games. You also have peer reviewed papers and studies.

Scientist seem to be also looking at Illusionist and the way they trick the mind or simply play on the minds perception.

So the question becomes, what gives rise to experience? I think mind is a fundamental property of reality that takes Wave Forms and constructs a subjective reality. Where do these Wave Forms come from? I'm not sure. I think the Holographic Principle may be on the right path but we'll see.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The root word of "REALity" seems to say yes.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by neoholographic There's an objective reality that creates experience but we don't know what that is. At the end of the day you can call it Maya, Tao or something else but it's a mystery. It's an unknown known.

It has many names from different ages. In the present age the term used most often is the 'matrix'. Unfortunately people cling onto the 'matrix movies' before they learn the etymology of the word 'matrix', which is :

matrix (n.) Look up matrix at Dictionary.com
late 14c., "uterus, womb," from Old French matrice "womb, uterus," from Latin matrix (genitive matricis) "pregnant animal," in Late Latin "womb," also "source, origin," from mater (genitive matris) "mother" (see mother (n.1)). Sense of "place or medium where something is developed" is first recorded 1550s; sense of "embedding or enclosing mass" first recorded 1640s. Logical sense of "array of possible combinations of truth-values" is attested from 1914. As a verb from 1951. Source www.etymonline.com...

Originally posted by neoholographicScientist seem to be also looking at Illusionist and the way they trick the mind or simply play on the minds perception.

In the case of knowing if reality is real or not, the inquisitive subject must step back from the curtain of reality (objectivity) but maintain an avatar of the self (subjectivity) thereby re-affirming duality in every sense of the word.

The magician and his audience work in the same technique. It is possible that you are both magician and audience member at the same time, unconsciously, of course.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

Reality seems to be a construct of the mind.

Does it for you?

It does for me, why? life experiences combined with a mind that thinks leads me to this conclusion and that belief is all that,s real.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Reality is defined as "what is real", so yes. Reality is real.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Yes and no. What most of us see what reality is isn't real reality. Reality is dark...What we see is (For the most part) bright and happy. Dreams, those glimpses of what you could've sworn was there but really wasn't...Those are glimpses into reality for you.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I’m wondering why there are so many threads on this….

If YOU think its REAL then its REAL!

Everyone else has a false perception! Damn them!!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Reality is real but I believe there is always different reality as are illusions and different dimensions all collide together. Fate destiny and reality theres so much to it.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Define "real".

new topics

top topics

join