It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic impact may have led to demise of early North American peoples

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Cosmic impact may have led to demise of early North American peoples
Aug 1, 2013

www.spacedaily.com...

Researcher Michail Petaev and Harvard colleagues, writing in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, said a 100-fold increase in platinum concentration occurs in ice that is around 12,890 years old, the same period for which oxygen isotope measurements show rapid cooling of the climate.

Debris thrown into the atmosphere in an impact may have tipped the Earth into global cooling, they said, difficult for ecologies and societies to adjust to.

Such cooling has been put forward as the cause of the extinction of massive mammals like the mammoth and native cultures such as the Clovis people in North America.

IN 2010 an article challenged this theory, but I always thought it was plausible.
wattsupwiththat.com...
edit on 123131p://bSunday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Hello

This thread has some relevant information on the impact event.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The impact event wasn't confined to north America either, there was storm of objects that fell of the course of two days with major air busts over north and central America, with possible oceanic impacts off the west coasts of north and south America.. There is evidence for aribursts over Mesopotamia and a possible impact in the Caribbean.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Here is the original Harvard paper,

www.scribd.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Check out the Carolina Bays via Google earth. They look like impact craters, but are very shallow. I read a book about a possible impact event that may have caused the decline of the Clovis culture and the extinction of large mammals, "Cosmic Collisions", or something like that.
The authors went on to state that the collision was caused by a wave from a supernova thousands of years prior to the Clovis event.
I believe there was an impact event, but I wasn't convinced about the supernova.
I would be very interested if the impact could be proved.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Patiscynical

For more info on the Carolina bays
cosmictusk.com...

The old notion of a super nova came about to explain the presence of high energy particles in samples from archeological sites from the Clovis era. It is now known that when an extraterrestrial object breaks up in the atmosphere, there is so much energy involved that high energy particles are given off. This was proven ny samples taken at Tunguska.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I've read a few articles that addressed this subject over the last three years or so. It is nice to see someone with a little clout is investigating this now. It looks like they have gotten a more accurate timeframe finally. I suppose it takes a while and a lot of money to get to where it can be accurate. S&F
edit on 22-8-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join