It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America Didnt have Skill Needed--- UK SAS Sent in..Job Done

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
as real as it gets m8

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
well at the time the US military had more experience and skill in aerial warfare, naval warfare and more conventional means of warfare, but barely any in regards to unconventional means, the last time the US had resorted to such means of battle back then was well probably never anywhere outside the west, and never in the middle of a battlefield.
in just about every war our country was in before Afghanistan or the second war in Iraq used methods more suited towards large scale battles and even now our military is shifting back towards large scale with automation and unmanned warfare becoming more and more important, current future goals for our military probably is to achieve full automated remote warfare without human fighters being needed.

our country prefers using indirect warfare, things like internal strife, political dissatisfaction, economic warfare, bribery, propaganda, sabotage, espionage, psychological warfare and other such things that weaken potential enemies by their own hands, to use war only as a last resort when these methods fail.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Does anyone remember Operation Nimrod?

During the 17-minute raid, the SAS rescued all but one of the remaining hostages, and killed five of the six terrorists. The soldiers subsequently faced accusations that they unnecessarily killed two of the terrorists, but an inquest into the deaths eventually cleared the SAS of any wrongdoing. The remaining terrorist was prosecuted and served 27 years in British prisons.

wikipedia / Operation Nimrod

/salute SAS

Mike

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikegrouchy

Does anyone remember Operation Nimrod?

During the 17-minute raid, the SAS rescued all but one of the remaining hostages, and killed five of the six terrorists. The soldiers subsequently faced accusations that they unnecessarily killed two of the terrorists, but an inquest into the deaths eventually cleared the SAS of any wrongdoing. The remaining terrorist was prosecuted and served 27 years in British prisons.

wikipedia / Operation Nimrod

/salute SAS

Mike

There are now significantly more people claiming to have been on those balconies at that embassy in various publications, than there were actual members of the regiment at the time. I imagine its the same case for every countries special forces, but is there any other military unit in the world that is such a magnet for the Walter Mitty type?.

edit on 4-8-2013 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

But whats the colour of the boat house at the SAS base?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
reply to post by hotel1

But whats the colour of the boat house at the SAS base?

Ah Robert DeNiro to Sean Bean in Ronin. I believe the correct two word answer ends if "Off"

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Come on...Captain Price was the whole reason i got into the Modern Warfare series to begin with.
One of the best characters in recent history.

edit on 4-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
if im correct all spec ops units are based from the original SAS... didnt they train the first seals ?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Things
Four SAS soldiers are to be honoured by President George Bush for the daring rescue of a CIA man facing torture by Al Qaeda fanatics.

Yah, only blood thirsty, scum bag, fanatics would torture people. Oh wait...

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

if im correct all spec ops units are based from the original SAS... didnt they train the first seals ?

Not exactly....

The SEALs history can actually be traced back to WWII, just like the SAS although the SEALs have changed several times since then into their present day formation.

The SEALs are not a SOF like the SAS the SEALs are tier 2 special forces were as the SAS and SEAL Team six are tier one.

Delta force was actually originally inspired by the SAS that is true.

due to the nature of the SEALs the are more like the UK SBS rather than SAS

But the SEALs to the SAS are like the para's.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

Maybe you were "abducted

Well,....yes, I had some experiences you can call that way if you want.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot

Originally posted by Trueman
Aliens are face palming now.

Text

Sorry for the rant...

ON TOPIC: My special ops can beat up your special ops!

The title is a little inflammatory. But whatever. It's not about who has the skills or not, it's about the fact that when our allies are in a tight spot or we are in a tight spot, we help each othe

x
edit on 4-8-2013 by biggm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

just through i would post this for the ukers since i seen someone post a american navy seal one..

Four SAS soldiers are to be honoured by President George Bush for the daring rescue of a CIA man facing torture by Al Qaeda fanatics. They were picked for the highrisk operation because of their success at snatching war criminals in the Balkans. American Delta Force commandoes did not have enough battle experience for the mission behind enemy lines. An Army source said yesterday: 'The American was virtually a dead man already. He only had one chance and that was the SAS.'

US salutes SAS heroes

The four-man squad plucked the agent from a heavily-armed house in the Taliban stronghold of Kandahar. He had been beaten and was about to be tortured for information.

The SAS men slid down ropes from a helicopter on to the roof of the house, threw in stun grenades then burst through windows.

Dozens of Al Qaeda fighters were killed or hurt in a fierce gun battle. The SAS suffered no casualties.

Using rescue drills perfected under live fire at their Hereford base, they seized the prisoner, who was chained and blindfolded. They took him out on to the roof and he was flown to safety.

A British military source said: 'The CIA agent had become isolated and was able to get a message out before he was taken.

'A Taliban vehicle was tracked by a helicopter observing from a long way off through an image intensifying camera.

'The crew were able to pinpoint the building he had been taken to and the Americans requested assistance. A couple of hours later the SAS went into action.'

The Taliban and Al Qaeda fighters were taken by surprise. The SAS helicopter flew in low to avoid detection and the guards had no hint of the rescue until it was too late.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

source www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 4-8-2013 by Things because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/4/2013 by semperfortis because: corrected all caps

edit on 8/4/2013 by semperfortis because: Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Thank you

My humble and deep respect to my (un heard) old comrade. Charlie, david and scotty. RIP
edit on 4-8-2013 by SAS101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

There is no doubt that the SAS are a phenomenal unit however I doubt they were selected because Delta or DEVGRU lacked the skills its was probably more the case that the SAS had the resources at that time required and their assets were probably being tasked with other operations.

It's possible this was very early 2001. The Brits have been actually using their SAS boys forever. While in the US, there was always a huge amount of hand wringing and second guessing whenever an operational need developed like this. There is no amount of training that can replace actual operational experience. Of course, that is not the case any longer. The Delta and Seal men have all the operational experience anyone could ever have now. The war on terrorism has given the American forces what they really have needed since Vietnam, long term combat operations. The night Seal Six took Osama, they said there were 18 other night time raids going on in Afghanistan. These men are truly deadly and well blooded. I don't think there is any gap between any of the Spec Ops running in Iraq and Afghanistan. Americans have better kit and support though. The US spends more money so they have better toys.

V

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by LarryLove

Based on the article i would guess 2001

Pres.Bush huh?Has the sas done anything that noone else could possible do in say the last decade?What a futile piece of crap this thread is...

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Things

hats off to the SAS. They got one of ours out of harms way...good on them.

"Thanks" would be insufficient to describe the gratitude most americans feel when they read that OP.

cheers.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawg61

Pres.Bush huh?Has the sas done anything that noone else could possible do in say the last decade?What a futile piece of crap this thread is...

Because of the clandestine nature of the operations that units such as the SAS undertake it is not really possible to answer that question with any degree of accuracy. It is probably fair to say that the SAS are among the small number of units in the world today that could successfully carry out an operation such as the one in the article.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Yea Buster Crab was it? UDT stuff.

When I was in back in the early 80s we were sending our very top boys over for SAS hell week. Heck we had a regular British Marine officer with our unit for about a month or so. Heck there a You Tube of a SAS officer leading american marines in Afghanistan.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Can I ask, was this a USMC unit that you were a member of?, and what was the general opinion of Special Air Service training among those who took part.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1

Originally posted by TDawg61

Because of the clandestine nature of the operations that units such as the SAS undertake it is not really possible to answer that question with any degree of accuracy. It is probably fair to say that the SAS are among the small number of units in the world today that could successfully carry out an operation such as the one in the article.
Thank you Hotel but I think you missed my point,my apologies.That being the open was the SAS was the ONLY unit that could accomplish a hostage rescue,that being non-sense as many countries SFs have such WITHOUT having to boast of their skill.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join