It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is political ideology the new racism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I grew up in the 70's and 80's in a very small town in the Deep South. At my high school, black students sat on one side of the cafeteria during lunch hour, whites on the other. At the only theater in town, white patrons entered through the lobby doors and took their seats on the main floor; black patrons entered through a side door, climbed a staircase and took their seats in the balcony. The "N word" was used casually and often. These actions were the norm, and indeed were never thought about; it was "just the way things were done."

Fast forward to 2004. In my city, schools, churches, offices, and neighborhoods are multicultural melting pots. My oldest son's three best friends are black, Korean, and Latino, respectively. I have no idea the last time I heard/saw "the N word."

Unfortunately, it seems to have been replaced with a new breed of epithet: the ideologically based. The phrases "right-wing" and "neo-con" are almost always accompanied by a sneer, and the word "liberal" has come to be an insult; we even had a thread on ATS asking why being a liberal is supposedly such a bad thing. In these times when every casual remark must be first weighed on the scales of political correctness, it's no longer acceptable to denigrate a person based on their racial identity, but it's almost expected that you do so based on political identity.

Dittohead. Republicon. Whiny/wimpy/pathetic liberal. If you want more examples, just scroll back through the Political Ideology threads of the past couple of months. Do these labels improve the discussion, or merely further polarize the participants?

"...[M]an's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason." Although this quote could conceivably be plucked from any current newspaper -- and certainly seems to sum up today's U.S. political climate -- it was actually stated by Abraham Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)...and the topic was racism.

Do we as humans simply need to distinguish ourselves from others we deem inferior, through whatever means possible? Or could this be the logical result of a media-driven campaign to ensure that we are sufficiently distracted from the very real problems at hand?

People of America, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Sometimes I think that if people haven't got something to hate, they will make something to hate. Your example is a perfect one, sandge. In the 50s-60's people hated because of colour. Now they hate based on politics. Why hate in the first place ? Why can't we just accept people as they are and if we don't like something they say or do, talk with them. We can't agree with everyone but surely each human being has at least one thing similar with other human being. Its just a case of finding that thing and nurturing it.

[Edited on 10-11-2004 by Ravenna]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This is just a theory, but from what I can see the Conservatives needed to fill a void after the Cold War "ended" and there was no longer "Commie threat". Liberalism was very much put down since the 60's, but in an effort to create a new faction to hate, the Conservatives latched onto the Liberals with vigour. Looking back, I can see a steady build up of hate for Liberals throughout the 90's until now. Liberals are the new "Commie threat".

You are right about having to create an enemy to hate. That is their common motivation.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Dittohead. Republicon. Whiny/wimpy/pathetic liberal. If you want more examples, just scroll back through the Political Ideology threads of the past couple of months. Do these labels improve the discussion, or merely further polarize the participants?

My problem, as usual is why/how is it people can so easily make everything black and white? Nothing I know fits neatly into a little box. Everything is gray; always has been - always will be.

Just last week, a co-employee(cause he sure don't work) called me a Commie, just because I am a reg. Democrat? Just because the card says it doesn't mean I agree with everything the party stands for. Maybe I am the one who is naive?

So, I think you maybe right sandge, now you just need to come up with a good word for what it should be called. Needs to be catchy though, as well as PC, because you don't want to upset anyone...(sarcasm for those who didn't get it)

You have voted sandge for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

[edit on 11/10/2004 by bobafett1972]

Odd

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Great, only liberals hate conservatives too.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odd
Great, only liberals hate conservatives too.

Are you serious Odd? I can think of no one I dislike based on the views. Trust me, I have some very conservative friends. Hell, I'm supposedly liberal, and I love my guns man!!

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett1972
So, I think you maybe right sandge, now you just need to come up with a good word for what it should be called.

In it's extreme, I thought it was called fascism.

* exalts nation and sometimes race above the individual,
* uses violence and modern techniques of propaganda and censorship to forcibly suppress political opposition,
* engages in severe economic and social regimentation, and
* espouses nationalism and sometimes racism or ethnic nationalism.

new topics

top topics

join