It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does any girl who can aim a camera call herself a photographer???? (rant. but can make for good

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Same reason anyone with an ATS account can call themselves a conspiracy theorist. We live in the age of "me" now. iPhones, iPads... Everything is about "I" and "me". Everyone believes they have something meaningful to contribute when in reality not everyone is or can be an artist.

Tell that to self-entitled kids these days who believe the entire world actually cares what they have to say. It won't even register with them. Too absorbed in their own bizarro world to step back and form some kind of concept of themselves.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Staging a robbery is a crime.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I always thought of photography, "any moron with a camera could take that. While I do appreciate most photography, I can't help but think I could do that, which is obviously what she's thinking. I took photography in high school and use to develop my own film. There is much much more than just pointing and clicking.

Here's a fun test you can give her. Ask her what her aperture settings and shutter speed are on a particular piece, if she says, I use the auto function, she should take some damn classes.

I know art is purely subjective, but there has to be a line somewhere.

Start taking pictures of her pictures and hanging them up!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I know what I'm about to say may be very unpopular in this thread, but I feel it has to be said.

*ahem*

Get over yourselves!!!

I understand what you're complaining about. I've known plenty of people that fit the category you guys don't like. Sure, they take a few photos, and think they're great. They slap some colors on a canvas, and think they're Van Gogh. Hell, I love music, and I see it everywhere in the music industry. People with no talent end up famous, when others who truly deserve it don't ever attain it. So I understand your frustration, and these people can be annoying.

But so can you guys. I've been lucky enough in my life to have known some great artists. People who create beautiful jewelry, beautiful paintings, wonderful music, and very great photographers. So I've been around artists for many, many years. But as annoying as it is to see people who think they're great, it's just as annoying to hear others bitch about those pseudo-artists.

So you live with somebody who takes pictures, and feels she did a good job on them. So she's proud of what she did herself. So what? You're so egotistical, and amazing, that you feel the need to bitch about her on ATS. So you're so wonderful, so creative, so AMAZING that it must be known that you hate your room-mates photo's?? How do you know she doesn't feel the same way about you? Hell, for all we know, you're just like her.

For the record, I know I can't sing. I know I can't play music. I'm terrible with a camera. When I draw, it ends up looking as bad as Beavis & Butthead. I can write decently, but when I try to actually write something, I get hardcore writers block. In other words, I'm not the most artistic person, and I know it. But I've known plenty of artists, as well as pseudo-artists. So I mean no offense, but.....

GET OVER YOURSELVES.

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
pics or it didnt happen

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Get over it!
She is trying to compensate in her limited way for your show of real talent.
Not to mention some competitive jealousy on your part.
How to settle it for a win-win solution?
Agree on a one-for-one display deal (with size restrictions, of course.)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
That's like somebody sitting down at a drumkit, playing a simple 4/4 beat sloppily with the kick, hat & snare and calling themselves a musician.

At what point am I musician? When I have made a piece of music?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyesontheskies
Ok so this epidemic is certainly not new to the world. So anyway, I have this roommate and basically her daddy bought her a camera a few years ago and she has been taking random pictures and calling it art and calling herself a photographer. Honestly shes not even good. A lot of it is pretty crappy and yet she insists on hanging her crap ALLL OVER THE APARTMENT. The thing that bothers me the most is that I am pretty involved in art. Like I actually draw, pain, pastel, charcoal, you name it and that stuff actually involves some effort so of course each piece takes a while and so I only have about three or four "prized pieces" and yet she talks down to me because she has made "hundreds of pieces".

I know some VERY talented photographers and you can tell the difference between someone that actually has "it" and someone who just wants to have "it" so she is kind of giving other photographers a bad name. And anyway, she hasn't even ever been paid for her "pieces". I wouldn't be so mad if she didn't mock someone like me who actually works for months just to finish one piece, when some of her best work only took one day.

Anyone know someone like this? Lets talk about it.

Let's talk about people who are so thin skinned as to get defensive when someone else dabbles in a domain they may have more expertise in. Were your first pieces as good as your current ones? Maybe she will get better?

Art is largely (completely?) subjective, in case you didn't get the memo.

Also, out of curiosity, how many people must one murder to be considered a murderer? Thanks for your reply, in advance.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

OP titled it " Why does any girl who can aim a camera call herself a photographer????" Not " Why does my roommate think she is a photographer just because she owns a camera???" I don't get upset about everything people say.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I'll be the first to admit I have zero photography skills, but if it was something I really enjoyed doing, then I would do it anyways.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

I think the point of my post has gotten blurry as the thread has gone on. I am not jealous of her pieces, and the point isn't that I think im better than her. Whats annoying is that she actually calls herself a "photographer" as if it is her occupation. I have created some decent art, but people would laugh in my face if I called myself an "artist".

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Also I don't want her to stop taking pictures. She enjoys it and should keep doing it. I just don't think she should call herself a photographer because she isn't. And I think it is annoying because she seriously acts like she is on the same level as Picasso or something.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyesontheskies
reply to post by akushla99

OH YEAH. definitely

She'd think you were creepy, for sure...but she's doing the same thing...
She may well have talent, but, just driving really fast in a car all the time doesn't make you a racing car driver...

Å99

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by eyesontheskies

You are an artist. Have some self-esteem. And a hug.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join