It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does any girl who can aim a camera call herself a photographer???? (rant. but can make for good

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by eyesontheskies

Nah, you're being envious she has a camera that daddy bought her

I bet it's expensive one too

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
notice how they all slant their head and do the duck face

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I think you'll find it's a phenomena not tied exclusively to women...

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Stop your artwork and get yourself a phone with a good camera, and take photos of her exclusively...get her to pose at every available moment (even when she starts ro get sick of it)...and call yourself a photographer...see whether she thinks photos of her taken by you are art...

I'm all for self expression...this sounds like self expression bourne of narcissism...

Å99

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyesontheskies
Ok so this epidemic is certainly not new to the world. So anyway, I have this roommate and basically her daddy bought her a camera a few years ago and she has been taking random pictures and calling it art and calling herself a photographer. Honestly shes not even good. A lot of it is pretty crappy and yet she insists on hanging her crap ALLL OVER THE APARTMENT. The thing that bothers me the most is that I am pretty involved in art. Like I actually draw, pain, pastel, charcoal, you name it and that stuff actually involves some effort so of course each piece takes a while and so I only have about three or four "prized pieces" and yet she talks down to me because she has made "hundreds of pieces".

I know some VERY talented photographers and you can tell the difference between someone that actually has "it" and someone who just wants to have "it" so she is kind of giving other photographers a bad name. And anyway, she hasn't even ever been paid for her "pieces". I wouldn't be so mad if she didn't mock someone like me who actually works for months just to finish one piece, when some of her best work only took one day.

Anyone know someone like this? Lets talk about it.

Sounds to me like two hipsters share the same apartment, and want to have a battle of their hipster ego's.

Art is what the observer says it is. If your room mate bothers you, please move. And don't expand her behavior to a larger group, as I have only known men who do what you describe.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I got called a Hipster the other day by a group of wannabe goth kids

I don't even know what they are and have been dressing like I have for over 20 odd years

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Its a bit like the girl who can arrange the furniture, pictures on walls, and potplants In rooms. Shes an interior designer.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

I got called a Hipster the other day by a group of wannabe goth kids

I don't even know what they are and have been dressing like I have for over 20 odd years

Thats the problem.....your style of dress went out of fashion, then back in.
A de facto hipster.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

and don't forget the #asshat #hashtags every #3words

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

They stole it from us original indie kids
and I stole it from the Hippies....ruddy hippies.
edit on 4-8-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I figure sweats never were in style....so i'm alright. No risk for me.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I understand where you are coming from on this entirely. However, it should be said that an eye for composition cannot be learned, it is inherant. One either has it, or one has not, and no amount of tinkering with the mind can change this.

A good friend of mine got into photography a while back, and though he has no formal training in the field, takes smashing photographs. Hes got brilliant shots of everything from Formula 1 cars in action, to great pictures of his cats. So good are his cat pictures, that he is often asked to be the photographer at a cat show, which he and his lady frequent. He wont take money for it, just beers on the day!

He also takes some shots that a moron like myself can only call "artsy", but they are not without a certain charm, despite some of them being shot in black and white. Normally speaking, when he does mess with the colour on a shot, the picture itself was good to begin with, and is only improved by his fiddling with contrast and so on, rather than being a pretty poor shot, augmented to at least look passable.

What I am saying is, that douches running about with cameras and calling themselves photographers are annoying, unless the particular douchebag happens to be talented, in which case, one merely has to marvel at thier skill, especially considering a lack of training.

I do find that duckface, self-obsessed variant of photography hideous also. Mostly the best shots these people will ever feature in are thier autopsy photographs.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

That's something I've thought of too. These "photographers" are merely exploiting the fact that the fascists have trapped us between the ugliness of 4 white walls

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

If you could see my facebook you would find that you are wrong. I literally never take pictures not for any particular reason. Im just not into it. My daddy did buy me a nice digital camera though, and that's all the camera I need.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

OH YEAH. definitely

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I totally agree on that. Its like all of her pieces are of something random and then she adds a little color here and there and she calls it art.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
" Why does any girl who can aim a camera call herself a photographer????" Excuse me? I don't call myself a photographer just be cause I have a camera. I like to do arts and crafts but I don't call myself a painter. And don't say it's only girls because you know one girl that does it. I know more males that do it than I do females but I don't go around making rants about how pathetic boys are because they pick up a camera, snap some photos and call it art.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Avifors

Unless you are the person the OP is talking about, you just took something very personally on the internet.

I would advise against doing this, you will essentially be offended with every other click of your index finger!

OP, people like to think they are good at what they are doing. Its not specific to any hobby, or gender, etc.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Didn't Picasso slop food on a napkin and sign it to pay for his meals? That was called art. Art is not what was done but who did it. Quality really has no bearing on what is art and what is not art.

Of course Picasso was a very famous artist. The question is, how does one get a name in the art world? Probably by knowing someone else that is famous, who will endorse the artists work.
edit on 4-8-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Encourage her to take a photography class to fine tune her abilities. If she feels she is beyond that, encourage her to take her work to some gallery owners. Either one will set her straight on the difference between art and a decent snapshot.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join