It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does any girl who can aim a camera call herself a photographer???? (rant. but can make for good

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Ok so this epidemic is certainly not new to the world. So anyway, I have this roommate and basically her daddy bought her a camera a few years ago and she has been taking random pictures and calling it art and calling herself a photographer. Honestly shes not even good. A lot of it is pretty crappy and yet she insists on hanging her crap ALLL OVER THE APARTMENT. The thing that bothers me the most is that I am pretty involved in art. Like I actually draw, pain, pastel, charcoal, you name it and that stuff actually involves some effort so of course each piece takes a while and so I only have about three or four "prized pieces" and yet she talks down to me because she has made "hundreds of pieces".

I know some VERY talented photographers and you can tell the difference between someone that actually has "it" and someone who just wants to have "it" so she is kind of giving other photographers a bad name. And anyway, she hasn't even ever been paid for her "pieces". I wouldn't be so mad if she didn't mock someone like me who actually works for months just to finish one piece, when some of her best work only took one day.

Anyone know someone like this? Lets talk about it.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Start photographing her on the bog and call it art

Oh and stage a robbery and write #e over all her pics

I understand your rant, same goes with painting...any idiot can pick up a brush but to actually paint is a whole different ballgame.
edit on 4-8-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Lol! that's a good idea. Then again, most of her art already looks like that so she would probably think it was beautiful and deep. And yeah I understand that, I mean people seem to actually like my stuff and I have had some offers from people wanting to buy some of my work, but I cant bring myself to part with any of it since I am still a young "artist" and my stuff means a lot to me. But also with painting, anyone can pick up a brush and paint, but you can pretty much decide for yourself if you are any good at it halfway through the piece. I know that because painting isn't even my strongpoint. I have painted 2 paintings and I like one of them and I have had people want to buy my better piece, but I could tell about five minutes into painting to tell that I was not a strong painter, but I like to try everything at least twice. I am much better at pastels and charcoal, and I think what separates me from people like her is I can admit that.
edit on 4-8-2013 by eyesontheskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyesontheskies

...I had to come in here just to make sure that you weren't my wife, and that she hadn't signed up for ATS.
She's a photographer (newborn, maternity, boudoir), and I hear this particular rant often!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I thought this thread was going to be about duck lips

But yes, pseudo-photographers are extremely irritating. Up there on my list with people who take selfies constantly, people who take selfies in bathroom mirrors, people who take duck lip selfies, and people who think their iphone instagram photos make them "artsy".

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
It really annoys me too. Hipsters are a scourge to artists, like termites are to carpenters.

>takes photo of trees with sepia filter
>takes photo of sleeping dog in yard with strange effects
>"I'm a photographer"

That's like somebody sitting down at a drumkit, playing a simple 4/4 beat sloppily with the kick, hat & snare and calling themselves a musician.

There's one thing that annoys me even more though. This trend where people order food in a restaurant, then when it arrives they take a photo of it before they begin eating and post it to their Facebook or Twitter. When you observe these people they always have other peculiar habits too. You can almost smell the autism and asperger's emanating from these people.
edit on 4-8-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24

...I had to come in here just to make sure that you weren't my wife, and that she hadn't signed up for ATS.
She's a photographer (newborn, maternity, boudoir), and I hear this particular rant often!

Its so true though!!! This guy I know is seriously an awesome AWESOME photographer. He is seriously so talented, but I think it kinda makes people seem less credible when they say they are photographers even if they are actually good photographers. This guy has been paid for his work since he was like 14 years old. He is just THAT GOOD. This girl was in photography club in high school so she knows how to use photoshop and that's about it. She has never been paid for her skillz, or even lack there of lol.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24

Its so true though!!! This guy I know is seriously an awesome AWESOME photographer. He is seriously so talented, but I think it kinda makes people seem less credible when they say they are photographers even if they are actually good photographers. This guy has been paid for his work since he was like 14 years old. He is just THAT GOOD. This girl was in photography club in high school so she knows how to use photoshop and that's about it. She has never been paid for her skillz, or even lack there of lol.

Oh, I know it is. Some of the photography I see these days honestly makes me die a little bit inside.
People have often come to my wife having spent hundreds, even thousands of dollars on photography only to come away with awful, unedited prints of their babies that have been churned out by some unconcerned 12 year old with a copy of photoshop (or at least, that's how it seems).

If I'm honest, I've learned a lot from watching my wife - and from being her 2nd shooter at times (we've done weddings etc. together - though she no longer shoots weddings). Seeing just how much of a good image comes from all the work done BEFORE the shot is ever taken - particularly with respect to lighting and posing - gives me a whole new form of respect for what she does.

oh, btw...

www.youarenotaphotographer.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
I thought this thread was going to be about duck lips

But yes, pseudo-photographers are extremely irritating. Up there on my list with people who take selfies constantly, people who take selfies in bathroom mirrors, people who take duck lip selfies, and people who think their iphone instagram photos make them "artsy".

Yessss this girl also takes selfies. I think all 750 out of 750 of her pictures are selfies and I am not exaggerating. But then again, this girl is really pretty so why wouldn't she take pictures of herself? she just wants to look beautiful and deep.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

OH MY GAWD... that site is awesome. I have a friend who is a photographer (a good one) and he is going to pee himself laughing. So awesome. Thanks for sharing

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Step 1. Post the pictures on reddit.
Step 2. Wait a few days.
Step 3. Get her to read the comments.

Guaranteed, she'll never be a photographer ever again.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Lol. Do any of them actually call themselves photographers?? I think it's great they take photos! Memories captured! How many times in human history would someone wish this ability! That said, I know what you're saying and I agree
seriously buy a decent camera, download some vid tuts, get out of the bathroom and learn!
edit on 4-8-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
It really annoys me too. Hipsters are a scourge to artists, like termites are to carpenters.

>takes photo of trees with sepia filter
>takes photo of sleeping dog in yard with strange effects
>"I'm a photographer"

That's like somebody sitting down at a drumkit, playing a simple 4/4 beat sloppily with the kick, hat & snare and calling themselves a musician.

There's one thing that annoys me even more though. This trend where people order food in a restaurant, then when it arrives they take a photo of it before they begin eating and post it to their Facebook or Twitter. When you observe these people they always have other peculiar habits too. You can almost smell the autism and asperger's emanating from these people.
edit on 4-8-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

I hate hipsters. Im tired of being worried about buying clothes that might be hipster cuz sometimes people tell me I look like a hipster and its like QUICK give be something less hipster to wear. and the restaurant thing is absolutely horrible. Its like why the heck are you showing me your food before you pig out? I have only posted one food picture on facebook, but only because I ordered a whole red snapper in costa rica and that thing still had its teeth and eyeballs and it was just sitting on my plate smiling at me. I couldn't not take a picture, but at least it was interesting.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Yeah its like they take a picture of something random, add a filter, maybe type a little quote in the corner and call it art....some people. And I totally agree, if it doesn't look like a work of art before the photoshop, then you might as well call it a polished turd.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Post one on here OP and let us comment on it. just tell your pal that we all want to see it because we have heard it is great

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Step 1. Post the pictures on reddit.
Step 2. Wait a few days.
Step 3. Get her to read the comments.

Guaranteed, she'll never be a photographer ever again.

LOL
that is a great idea. If only I didn't care about this girls feelings. See the relationship we have? She has no concern for my feelings, and yet I don't totally want to crush her dreams lol

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Art can be anything. If you think she could use some pointers then if you were a true artist you would take some time to share your knowledge. Artsy hipsters always get butt hurt when their individuality becomes a bit more mainstream.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Lol. Do any of them actually call themselves photographers?? I think it's great they take photos! Memories captured! How many times in human history would someone wish this ability! That said, I know what you're saying and I agree
seriously buy a decent camera, download some vid tuts, get out of the bathroom and learn!
edit on 4-8-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

YES! This is what she said before I met her in person when we had just found out we were rooming together and were discussing what furniture we were going to bring.

ME: I can bring a coffee table and a tv for sure and I also have some paintings for the living room (Note that I wasn't even talking about my paintings. I was talking about ones I bought from the store that I thought were pretty.)
HER: Yeah I can bring a couch, 2 armchairs, a couple tables, and some lamps. Also I am a photographer and have made tons of pieces so expect me to hang my stuff up all over the house. All of the pieces are really pretty though.
ME: ok cool, and neat that is ok with me.
HER: go look at them on facebook in my photography album.

so she actually calls herself a photographer and she thinks she is really talented, but on all of her photography on facebook its always her grandma and other family members her are commenting on them.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis
Art can be anything. If you think she could use some pointers then if you were a true artist you would take some time to share your knowledge. Artsy hipsters always get butt hurt when their individuality becomes a bit more mainstream.

I know it can be anything, and me being a true artist has nothing to do with anything. I draw and paint. Im not a photographer so any photography advice I give would be completely useless. And im not a hipster. I don't think I would consider myself artsy. I am just a perfectionist and very detail oriented which happens to make for a decent artist.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by eyesontheskies

Is it one of those all singing don't need to even focus cameras? also? If so get her a old manual film camera and say Ok take some pics and process the film yourself.
My pal makes a living out off photography, he doesn't take real shots (the ones he is payed to take) in digital he does it on film, he tells me film is the only way to get the shot he wants.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join