It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to Join Joint US Naval War Games.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
The 2014 RIMPAC (Rim of the Pacific exercises), an event run every other year in the waters around Hawaii will feature a new participant next summer. For the first time China will be joining the largest military exercise in the world involving thousands of troops, hundreds of planes, and dozens of ships and submarines.

Chinese State Councilor Yang Jiechi announced Saturday that China, at the invitation of the United States, will attend the Rim of the Pacific exercises (RIMPAC) in 2014.
news.xinhuanet.com...

The exercise is administered by the US Navy and its purpose is to better develop communication and cooperation between the naval forces of various countries. Until 2012 only "allies" of the US participated in the exercises. In the last session Russia joined in arriving with 3 ships, a destroyer and two support vessels. en.rian.ru...

In the context of this development it's interesting to note that the Philippines also first joined the games in 2012. The purpose apparently having to do with the escalation of tensions with China.

Defense Secretary Panetta has said this about the invitation of China to the games in 2012:

"Our fundamental goal is to build a U.S.-China military-to-military relationship that is healthy, stable, reliable, continuous and transparent," Panetta said at a joint press conference with Gen. Liang Guanglie, China's defense minister.
www.navytimes.com...

During these maneuvers China will be able to obtain detailed information about the capabilities and wartime doctrines and strategies of the US and allies. Personally, I'm not convinced that the invitation was a good idea. Japan will be there, as will South Korea. Neither country is on very friendly terms with China.

How do you see it? A chance for open communication? A chance for "hands across the water"? A chance to learn something about China's navy (though their participation is likely to be minimal)? Or is China the only party who really has anything to gain?

edit on 8/3/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
HOPEFULLY, this is a step toward world unity, maybe if we can work together with one of our biggest enemies, we can do alot of good things

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
How does that saying go? Keep your friend close but your enemy closer? Is that how it goes?

edit on 4-8-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I have to say this makes me uncomfortable. Makes me hope we have some live ammo in that training exercise. Hate to feel that way.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I say it is good to see the U.S. and China taking the Underwater Alien Threat so seriously.....

or they are giving Hawaii to China. Seems like a good starting point when you think about it...maybe Alaska is up next.
edit on 4-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Well when you're in-debt to China up to your eyeballs, whatcha gonna do, tell them
"No, you can't play with us?"

I don't think so.

Okay boys, play nice together.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Wasn't there some nasty little clause in the Pacific Rim economic agreement that large corporations didn't have to follow soveriegn country rules?

New World Order - the slaves will work for the big money boys - or else - we'll shoot you alll down with the world military.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Cancellation Notice on Board.
Until discount subscription offered.

Smooth Sailing

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
What China might gain will be off set ( some) by what we will gain. Chinese vessel to vessel frecs and communications (even if in code or light) will be intercepted and the code broken and in the mean time, The U.S. fleet will show China just how big and capable a small part of our Naval fleet is. No different than chimps picking up branches and beating the ground to scare a rival....just a much larger scale. The U.S. has had for several years the capability to intercept and locate any and all transmitters and transmissions..It is always better to cooperate than to shoot at each other IMO....

We are already at war with China and doing many things under the table to block them from getting oil IMO so might as well smile and act friendly knowing we've got the winning hand in the end..... Just what I have heard.....

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Okay, this leaves me boggled. Didn't the Government spend a fair portion of last year saying that U.S. forces and particularly Naval forces would be focused into the Western Pacific area for the mid-long term future planning? Wasn't that being presented as a potential counter and advanced move 'just in case' for China??

So..Isn't this like inviting a friend you know may (or may not) be a burglar, in to see your fine silver, jewelry and firearms collection, just hoping nothing goes wrong from it?

Errr..... That's the second story in a week where the face presented now is basically mutually exclusive to what has been presented within the past 12 months and then, presented as the long term reality for all to get used to.

I'm starting to wonder.....are the people running our Government sober at all times?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
HOPEFULLY, this is a step toward world unity, maybe if we can work together with one of our biggest enemies, we can do alot of good things

If by working together you mean allowing them to spy on the US then I think you and China are thinking alike. If China wants to work as an ally they need to act as an ally. Terrible idea and absolutely no good can come from it.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412
Well when you're in-debt to China up to your eyeballs, whatcha gonna do, tell them
"No, you can't play with us?"

I don't think so.

Okay boys, play nice together.

Funny pic, but China really doesn't own much US debt. And yes, that's exactly what we tell them. What are they going to do, tell us not to pay them back?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well, not to make this a political debate, but what do you expect from our current PoTUS?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky
What China might gain will be off set ( some) by what we will gain. Chinese vessel to vessel frecs and communications (even if in code or light) will be intercepted and the code broken and in the mean time, The U.S. fleet will show China just how big and capable a small part of our Naval fleet is. No different than chimps picking up branches and beating the ground to scare a rival....just a much larger scale. The U.S. has had for several years the capability to intercept and locate any and all transmitters and transmissions..It is always better to cooperate than to shoot at each other IMO....

We are already at war with China and doing many things under the table to block them from getting oil IMO so might as well smile and act friendly knowing we've got the winning hand in the end..... Just what I have heard.....

We already have done that.

"To be honest, I feel very sad after visiting (the United States), because I think, I feel and I know, how poor our equipments are and how underdeveloped we remain," Chen said.

www.reuters.com...

No good comes from this.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnifiedSerenity
I have to say this makes me uncomfortable. Makes me hope we have some live ammo in that training exercise. Hate to feel that way.

Why do you feel that way.. China has existed for thousands of years and history tells us that it is a non expsansionist country..The same cannot be said for the US. Yet you want live ammo just in case..

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Why do you feel that way.. China has existed for thousands of years and history tells us that it is a non expsansionist country..The same cannot be said for the US. Yet you want live ammo just in case..

Tell every Pacific country China is not expansionist, China just naturally owns 90% of their territorial waters, and every area with natural resources is just naturally theirs, because they are not expansionist.

edit on 6-8-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Just about anything China might learn from RIMPAC, they probably already know. No nation that participates in exercises like this is going to full out 100% on anything they have.

What exactly are they going to learn? The sonar signatures of our subs? They can get those anyway. Radar frequencies? Easy to get. Radio frequencies? Won't do any good if the frequency hopping radios are working. So they get the codes to use during RIMPAC, they're easy to change. Tactics? A lot of those are already known, and they're going to change if it's a US only mission, as opposed to a multinational mission.

They may learn a few things, but by far most of what they will learn, I almost guarantee that they know already.
edit on 8/6/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Oh, maybe it's their military build up and getting cozy with Russia who has vowed in the past to lull Americans into a false peace only to smash us with an iron fist when our guard is down.

War to the hilt between communism and capitalism is inevitable. But today we are too weak to strike. Our day will come in 30 – 40 years. But first we must lull the capitalist nations to sleep with the greatest overtures of peace and disarmament known throughout history. And then, when their guard is dropped, we will smash them with our clenched fist.” Dimitri Manuilski — In a speech to the Lenin School for Political Warfare in Moscow in the 1930s.

Some might think that is a long time ago, but I don't feel comfortable with the China/Russian alliance. You can all you want. I don't trust them.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Just about anything China might learn from RIMPAC, they probably already know. No nation that participates in exercises like this is going to full out 100% on anything they have.

What exactly are they going to learn? The sonar signatures of our subs? They can get those anyway. Radar frequencies? Easy to get. Radio frequencies? Won't do any good if the frequency hopping radios are working. So they get the codes to use during RIMPAC, they're easy to change. Tactics? A lot of those are already known, and they're going to change if it's a US only mission, as opposed to a multinational mission.

They may learn a few things, but by far most of what they will learn, I almost guarantee that they know already.
edit on 8/6/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

There is a difference between reading something and actually practicing it. That is what they will get. You can tell someone how to execute Brazilian Jiu Jitsu moves, but actually being on the mat with someone is a completely different experience.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I can only hope this is a step in the right direction. Despite the posturing we've done against them, I think it's time we try to just set things aside and attempt a peaceful relationship.

Now, in reality, I know that's hard to achieve. Both sides have their daggers pointed at the others back as they embrace in a bro hug wondering if the other is either A) wise to their armed hand or B) going to strike them first.

It's a deadly game, but it could lead to better things. Or worse.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join