I Want to Believe, and it's Painful

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by thesearchfortruth

I generally tend to agree with your line of thinking since most of what we see and hear about tend to be very mundane and completely explainable.

But there are still a few cases out there that always keep the door open for me. The other day I was watching some UFO show on TV that went into the Belgium flap from the 80's. There was clearly something very strange that was occurring there. And there were quite a number of what many would consider to be highly credible witnesses to the events that unfolded in that country.

My logic is always in constant battle with what I believe. Ive never seen a UFO so I can only go on what others have experienced. And most of it sounds bogus to me... But there are some very stubborn cases out there that always capture my imagination...

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
People from outer space coming down to earth has been a vision of heaven coming to earth in the eye of masses for decades, if not, maybe even centuries.

I wouldn't consider ufology a boat that has been sinking, as rather people keep on trying to sink it. When people try to to blow up this ship, they think they succeeded since it underwater, only to see it pop back out from the sea. Yet, for some reason it still stays a float, in the back of our minds after all the abuse. Many wanna say top secret military, yet others would say "WTF!, it not logical at all?".

I think trying to see an actual alien ufo is definitely not for the faint of heart, as well it can be anti climatic. Many would view aliens to be like a Devil promising Eden, while if a God, it guarantees hell.

You ever played Pokemon Gold/Silver? Probably not, but their are supposedly three legendary dogs, that are never in the same spot, and require hours of game play just to find. And if you do manage to capture all three, how would the gamer feel about himself after?

Usually I think people want to believe in them cause it not only one of the few real possibilities, since this world is too plain.
edit on 4-8-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
To want to believe is another way of saying... I wish to have a closed loop and ergo, a closed mind. Belief stems from faith and science and faith are not the best bedfellows Belief, is to be definite about something and in a universe dictated by quantum uncertainty then really it's choosing to go completely against the grain. On the other hand, I'd like to think, offers far more comfort to those with a propensity for open mindedness. I'd like to think, offers the possibility of other explanations and unlike belief, comes without dogma. The countless genocides, the suffering of billions world wide, are mostly down to people who "believe". they are right.

Hitler, Mao, Stalin, religious fundamentalists, they all believe and look where they've taken us? Now, you might say it's all merely a question of semantics, only in this case it isn't. The choice of the word "believe" gives one a hint at the mental processes of the person using it. To want to believe, has shades of a certain desperation to know something, despite the actual evidence. In short, belief is intrinsically tied to the ego and a sense of self worth. The need to believe suggests actually, a fundamental lack of belief/faith sic, in one's own reality.

Science is eternally hamstrung by it's own denizens investing their own ego and therefore sense of self worth, in adhering to a particular model. To the extent that, even when the evidence shows otherwise, many cannot and will not accept the new paradigm.

So my advice is simple, stop wanting to believe and start thinking.
edit on 4-8-2013 by FireMoon because: punctuation

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
"Curiosity killed the Cat"

"Ignorance is bliss" as they always say. We bite from the apple, and we get kicked out of paradise.

If one does see a ufo of Alien origin, then wouldn't that lead to more questions? Like who, wtf, where, how, and why? Let alone the very superstitious fear.

Science will always have doubts, and its seamstresses. Its meant to be a viscous battle of wits, tongues and constantly criticized, since after all it had pretty much toppled religion seat around the world.

As for dictators then, well people make their own choices don't they?

As for believe...

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln

Hope was the greatest evil to come out of Pandora's box after all.
edit on 4-8-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Belief is ok as long as you are using SOME SORT of criteria for establishing that belief. Blind belief is unhealthy.

To the point of the thread, I believe it is happening. But my belief in the matter is constantly evolving as I digest more information. Sometimes it is hard for me to even pin down my own beliefs on the subject.
It is like a giant puzzle and when you feel like you are getting close to finishing it, you realize there are 30 pieces that were left out of the box at the puzzle factory.

I would just give up on putting the puzzle together, but I can't shake what I have seen and experienced myself and those experiences DEMAND I believe and keep working on the puzzle.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Odds are not proof, if you want to believe thats proof then lets be fair, look up the odds that aliens are visiting this planet out of billions if not triliions of others.
edit on 4-8-2013 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Many WANT to believe and that is part of the problem. That exactly what encourages hoaxers, cults, new agers.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Read about Dulce base - how far lies can get from Phil Schneider and Lear to Castello - military projects. I can bet nearly all other cases may be related to it and there may not be even one alien case.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Do you have a power socket in your house, hmm! DONT TOUCH IT
Just look at it, Imagine if you never seen one before, and it was something new that you did not know what it was for, it looks innocent enough, doesn't look like it would bite you. we can't see what it contains. the current residing there is invisible to our vision, we dont hear anything either, and we dont smell anything, hmmm! nothing there,,, what if we stick our finger into it. wahhhhhh!
what I am saying is. even thought we cant see it, or hear it or smell it in this case DEFINATELY does NOT mean its not there.....

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Don't worry, most who are interested in the subject come to the realization sooner or later that there's more bs than fact coming from the ufologist side of things.

I'm personally under the belief that we haven't been visited, but, that doesn't mean that their isn't intelligent life out there, it just means we're going to have to go out and find it.

That idea sounds way more exciting to me than having them come land on our door step. The down part being it isn't very likely that any of us will live to see a day when we make contact.

Though, I also have a fear that intelligent life really isn't nearly as common as some assume. Really, what are the chances that another life form would evolve to develop intelligence and still be around for us to find? Also, it could well be that self awareness and cognitive thought isn't really the ultimate state of evolution that we all assume it is. It seems that there are other life forms way better suited to making it through tough times than us. Who knows?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by flipflop

Do you have a power socket in your house, hmm! DONT TOUCH IT
Just look at it, Imagine if you never seen one before, and it was something new that you did not know what it was for, it looks innocent enough, doesn't look like it would bite you. we can't see what it contains. the current residing there is invisible to our vision, we dont hear anything either, and we dont smell anything, hmmm! nothing there,,, what if we stick our finger into it. wahhhhhh!
what I am saying is. even thought we cant see it, or hear it or smell it in this case DEFINATELY does NOT mean its not there.....

Yes, but there is evidence that electricity is there. We can objectively test it's existence.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

thesearchfortruth,

Have you considered that all the alien people of all the alien races who are visiting Earth are carefully keeping tight control of evidence of themselves? This is my understanding and experience.

Whenever and wherever the aliens show themselves too openly, something bad happens- something counterproductive to what you might expect the openness to produce, because the evidence is still too easily used by the power of Earth to prove to the naïve something other than what is actual.

The aliens show themselves where and how it's relatively safe for themselves and their human contacts, usually in private. The secrecy of the vital exchanges protects the aliens, the humans, and the continuation of the work, which is mostly education. To become known for direct knowledge is to be stopped. Only untruths are left by Earth powers to flourish on Earth.

The work between us and our alien contacts is so vital and so secret that we ourselves can't even know all about it. Most alien experiencers are completely unaware or barely aware of it at all on a physical level. To us who are so dedicated and aware, as deeply as we yearn to know, it is our greatest desire to produce and protect the mutual accomplishments between our worlds for the benefit of all- especially of humankind.

We don't hear from all the humans who have ongoing open, progressive contact- they are not part of the ufo field the same way as those who consider themselves victims are. We don't witness all the thousands of alien ships coming in and out every day all over the world to these individual humans because they are kept secret. The ships are hidden so they don't get shot at and captured, and they can't be used to trace the humans contacts. The humans are unnamed and unknown so they can stay alive in their normal life with their families and friends and jobs, and also continue their work with the aliens.

It's not crazy that the leadership of Earth can fool this many people about something so obvious right under our noses. They do it all the time about everything. Everything. All the time. Because that's the way we choose to be good and loyal and faithful and patriotic and proper. We are good soldiers.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Believing in something is problematic. Why is belief in alien spaceships important (to you)? Why is the increasing disbelief hurtful?

Believing or not, I saw something in the sky a few times that might've been alien craft. It doesn't change much in my life, though, outside of some stories to tell and fuel for fun speculation.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blahable
Odds are not proof, if you want to believe thats proof then lets be fair, look up the odds that aliens are visiting this planet out of billions if not triliions of others.

In reality we can not even begin to calculate any odds of alien life being out there because we only have one single example of it happening here on earth. There is no point working out how many earth like planets there are out there because we dont know how easy it is for life to happen on an earth like planet. What happened here might just be a freakish set of events that played out over millions of years. IE unique..a one time deal.

The only odd we have at the moment are 1 in all the planets in the universe. Anything else requires leaps of imagination with made up numbers.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
...The only odd we have at the moment are 1 in all the planets in the universe. Anything else requires leaps of imagination with made up numbers.

Exactly.

Personally, I can take that leap of imagination, and (in my opinion) I do believe that intelligent life most likely exists elsewhere in the universe. I feel this way just based on the size of the universe. I feel that even if life is rare, there universe is so vast that even rare life may still exist.

However, I don't know if life exists elsewhere -- my belief in life elsewhere could be wrong. Personally, I think life may exist elsewhere, but I don't know. But my belief is not that important. What I think really doesn't matter; whether I belief in life elsewhere or not is not really relevant to the possible existence of that life.

If that intelligent life exists elsewhere, then it would exist whether or not I, or anyone else, believed in them -- or, quite frankly, those intelligent ETs would still exist (or not exist, as the case may be) even if we humans were not even around to ponder the subject. So, like 'baddogma' said above, I'm not sure why people get so militant over the belief in ETs. It's not as if the existence of ETs needs us humans to believe in it to be true.

edit on 8/5/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I think that humans have a basic built in need to believe that there is someone else out there that's more clever than we are. Before we understood about space and the universe we use to make up ideas about gods who live in the sky etc.

Most people who believe in aliens or gods think that it would be a god thing if they existed and it would be depressing if we were the only thing alive in the entire universe. So its obvious why people would hang onto ideas that they deep down believe are good.

I certainly hope there's life out there but i couldnt point to any evidence that i would call proof.

edit on 5-8-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

You make it seem as if the question of UFO and alien intelligences visiting our world has two possible answers, either yes, or no.

But this binary paradigm for the question is as false as some of the hoaxes which have been thrown in the way of those interested in the subject, in fact, the yes or no issue is probably the biggest hoax of all time. In truth, there is only one answer which is both honest, and accurate, and that is "I do not know."

On the one hand, all UFO have either been identified as something else, or remain unidentified. That does not mean that they will never be identified, the origins of the more unexplainable of them discovered by those outside of the military and intelligence circles active on our planet today. It just means it has not happened yet. On the other hand, because it has not happened yet, there is no evidence worth a crap to say that UFO are anything particularly special.

However, we cannot know for certain, such is the mystery, the murk, the near solid turd through which one must sift to find anything of interest, let alone anything probative or truely astounding. Another thing, beliefs are not welcome in UFOlogy. There are too many "beliefs" at the moment. The meditators, swamis and mystics who claim to be able to contact other intelligences through one or another hallucination inducing compound, the fools who attach wires to thier heads during "thought communication" with these beings to try and prove that thier psuedo scientific CRAP is worth more than the massive speaking engagement fees charged by its top advocates... all these things are snake oil, and rely on belief.

Seek not belief in things in the physical universe, reserve it for your God or gods if you have any. What is required is knowledge, and all you can say for sure, is that you havent got the knowledge you seek, the truth either way. I can understand why THAT might be painful, but to believe in something other than a faith is perverse in my veiw.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Right.

I'm skeptical about the equation of alien visitation, because I don't feel that there has (yet) been enough good evidence to support the idea that aliens are definitely visiting Earth in spaceships.

However, my skepticism (and the skepticism of many others who share my opinion) is NOT the same as saying "ergo, there is no such thing as alien visitation". I'm not saying that at all. I'm simply saying I don't know if aliens are visiting Earth, because I don't think the evidence supports it.

The bottom line is that saying "I don't know" is NOT the same as saying "it's not happening".

I have a similar (but slightly different) feeling concerning the question of the existence of intelligent life elsewhere (which is a different question than the "alien visitation" question). In that particular case, I DO personally feel that life probably exists elsewhere in the universe (based on circumstantial evidence -- namely the sheer size of the universe), but I still don't know if life exists elsewhere, because the evidence is only circumstantial. I can "believe", but I don't "know".

edit on 8/5/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frettin
...White people problems...

Originally posted by ZetaRediculian
No kidding

I don't get this part. What does the race of someone have to do with any of this? Do purple, green, or orange people believe more, believe less, or...what?

How does one's race or ethnicity make them more or less of a believer or a skeptic? What am I missing here?
edit on 8/5/2013 by Outrageo because:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This might help you make up your mind. Either she is a liar faking photos (no) or she is the real deal (yes)

www.youtube.com...

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join