It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Applicants for one way trip to Mars descend on Washington

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Hello, ATS

This is old news( happened earlier today) but important to note nonetheless. There was a gathering of Space enthusiasts and applicants in Washington today to show their support for the upcoming trip and colonization of Mars being planned by the Mars One company. I can't believe this is really happening! It gives me hope for the future of Space exploration. According to the article, 78,000 have already applied, but heck, I might just apply too.

The momentum is building, ATS! Would you go?

www.space.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I would be on that ship so fast and looking for the cock pit!

If I'm going to hell without a return ticket...I wanna drive!

Peace

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I'd go in a heartbeat too. My only drawback is leaving my wife and children for such a long time. I sure wanna go. They are saying "One way trip" right now, however, I don't think this will always be the case; especially as an interstellar transport system is eventually developed between Earth and Mars. I think the thing to do is to set up a Space tourism company for travel between Earth and Mars. Maybe "we" the ATS community can band together and organize a Kickstarter campaign to fund a start-up company for this purpose. I'll do it so who's on board?

I will need help from ATS to do it as I'm not a real scientist; just an armchair one. There is a lot to do: proposal, contracts, supplies, facilities, scientists, vehicle used, propulsion system, etc. I have an idea for Space propulsion using Lagrange points that may be faster than conventional rockets and it wouldn't need an expensive infrastructure in place to work.
edit on 3-8-2013 by lostbook because: more to add

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
yah i think i would sign up
lets go terra form mars make a colony

there should maybe be some basic rules like no religion of any type allowed
no banksters or lawyers
no racial anything allowed everyone would just be marsers marsites ???

no money
everything made to last forever

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
No religion, no lawyers, and no bankers. That sounds like a utopia to me but we both know that's not what will go down. Yo can bet that someone already has a plan for Mars.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
In the article they say the mission will cost around $6 billion dollars.

Mars One estimates the cost of landing the first four settlers will be about $6 billion. It plans to fund most of this by selling advertising for a reality TV program that would document the mission's progress, from astronaut selection through the settlers' first few years on Mars. - See more at: www.space.com...

Is that really their "story"?

Ok, there is no way that a "reality TV program" based off this will fund this fully. All the Marvel Cinematic Universe films have grossed $5.1 billion dollars (source) so that puts the $6 billion needed to fund the project in a little bit of a financial perspective related to media.

So that really makes me wonder how the money will actually be acquired??

edit on 8/3/2013 by mcx1942 because: typo (argh!)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Nah,

Just send me some live feed.

I dont even want to visit another country. Much less another planet.

Give it time we will have Mars all jacked up also

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

It'd be a holiday for the journey there then I'd probably just stargate back to be honest.

edit on 3-8-2013 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Well, in the words of Yoda..."overpriced and time consuming...this trip is...."

However, this is still way cool! 6 billion for a Space trip of this magnitude is totally do-able in my opinion. While it may seem out of reach financially, it really isn't. With people there we can do a lot more exploring than what the Rovers can do. Nasa did land rovers on Mars and has plans to reach an Asteroid but they move at a snails pace because of budgetary constraints, so I'm glad someone else is pushing the envelope now.

Nasa should focus on Deep Space projects/ technologies now just as they said they would.
edit on 4-8-2013 by lostbook because: figure(s) correction

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostbook

However, this is still way cool! 6 million for a Space trip of this magnitude is totally do-able in my opinion.

It's $6 billion, not million.

Like I stated in my post above, that is a load of money and I would like to know where they are getting it. They claim it will be mostly funded by a reality show based off of it, but like I pointed out above, even a mega popular movie franchise such as the Marvel movies, have grossed $5.1 billion combined.

*edit*
Just saw you changed it to billion.

edit on 8/4/2013 by mcx1942 because: addition

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

No religion, no lawyers, and no bankers. That sounds like a utopia to me but we both know that's not what will go down. Yo can bet that someone already has a plan for Mars.

Naw man, i'm thinking it's just like the black people who came to America from Africa. And this is just advertised as 'A New Beginning.'

Don't be a lab rat..... although I think we're all lab rats already. Maybe ha.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Even if you start a society that originally excludes bankers, lawyers, and religion, eventually that society will develop religion, and develop a need for bankers and lawyers. It's just human nature.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
they hope to get quite a bit of mone back through reality tv, covering the first few years of their ordeal, hmm! what if they get visitors from some other planet besides earth. after all earth is our planet, so whose planet is mars, its ok to just go there and set up camp, yet when we see craft from somewhere other than earth we get all het up about it and wonder what they want, well they want probably the same as us, another planet which is why we just up and jump onto mars and bingo another large planet to try and take out, like we did here on this planet,, it shouldn't take long to destroy mars, we are getting good at destruction. more or less experts at it now.. pretty soon it will show clearly in the stars where man has reached, just look for the planets that are destroyed.. and isn't going to mars one way ride, the same as suicide.. you say good bye to your loved ones forever and will never see them again.. ok video links and reality tv, but its hardly the same thing to see someone on a screen its not like a real hug is it.. and who are the mass of people who have volunteered and why? o well no forget the why, the state this planet is in, is reason enough, hmm might join em myself... every day it is more appealing to leave this place far behind...where do I sign....

top topics

join