It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay couple ordered to ride in back of bus by New Mexico bus driver

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

I agree with you, I Am pretty shocked at some of the comments here tbh.
The bus driver is an employee of a company the company is not allowed by law to discriminate and neither is he.
The gay couple have every right to complain and I'm glad they have, would you be shocked If you was made to sit at the back of the bus because you held someones hand? I would.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Haha i cant people holding someone's hand is considered a problem

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
What is it with Americans and this weird thing about public displays of affection?

Or maybe they were smiling and the bus driver thought they must be mentally ill and made them sit at the back because he didn't trust them...

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
I'm so sick of this perpetual BS we're told that we need to except everybody for how they are. Sorry I hate to burst everyone's bubble but somethings in this country I just don't except. America can take they're love everyone be tolerant multiculturalism BS and shove it. In today's world I'm all about self preservation.
edit on 4-8-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

You don't have to "accept" anyone, no one needs your permission to exist and have a decent life. What gives you such a superiority complex that you believe you have the right to treat other people as "less than" you?

You can be a bigot all you like, in your own tiny head, but the moment you affect someone else's rights and freedoms and try to make yourself superior to them, you cross a line.

The bus driver crossed a line, he ignored the law and victimized a couple of people because he's a bigot. I hope they sue the company and get a nice big payout!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Cataka

Nowhere in the bible does it say god hates gays. That is just the right wing fundamentalist american 'christians' who obviously dont understand the bible.

The bible states we are not to judge others, because we all sin we have no right to judge. Only a sinless person has a right to judge others. Which none of us are.

It really bothers me when so called 'christians' criticize gays. It understandably pushes people away from the true meanings in the Bible. ALL Christians commit sin too.

We need to spend more time improving ourselves and less time criticizing others.

For all you none believers out there, dont blame the Bible for the actions of so called 'christians' as they are usually worse than people they judge.

Have a nice day everyone.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
The most ironic thing about this is that AMERICA is trying to take the high moral ground against Russia in the gay rights argument now that the Sochi olympics are nearly upon us. And yet stories like this are surfacing on an almost daily basis.

Anyone smell a hypocritical rat?

Some days I really do find myself asking who the bigger monster is between America and Russia......
edit on 4-8-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Sad and idiotic, however there are greater issues at hand then this. If I were them, I'd simply say "no", or "make us". Let's see what he'd do then, I bet you two whole Amero's that he'd shut his mouth. But no, they decided to go to the media and just take what the bus driver dished out.

Now, can we get back to some real important issues at hand? Like the economy?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

If they were truly just holding hands I do not have a problem with that type of public affection. Now if they were kissing or whatever then that is a bit overt. How did the world become so damn weird and convoluted?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Surprised, but not wanting to cause trouble or make a scene, McCoy and Bowers complied, moving to the back of the bus

Yet here they are, going to the press and making a scene

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

How is it beside the point? By the way you're sounding you're more than happy to live in a society that classes holding someone's hand "offensive"

Yes, that's exactly what I said. Actually it's not. I was making a broader point that people should keep the intimate affection giving to non public settings. gay or straight.

"Overt display of affection!?" Did you wake up yourself today!?

How interesting, a cleverly placed jab that has nothing to do with me.

Perhaps if people didnt keep bringing attention to how much they dislike it, sexual orientation wouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps if people didn't celebrate their sexuality like it was something special or important about them, less people would feel the need to complain about it.

Both sides are wrong. It's wrong for gay people to act like sexuality matters and defines them. Putting yourself in this little box with a cute label is like painting a giant target on your back.

Its wrong for straight people to act like they can judge gay people for their sexuality and make decisions about their character based on such idiotic notions.

So there's an issue here because they didnt want to cause a scene?

Yes there is. Causing a scene is something you do when what happened, is actually insignificant.

It's a selfish reaction, causing a scene is.

Defending yourself from discrimination and ignorance is not causing a scene. It's doing what all people should do when faced with such a situation.

~Tenth

edit on 8/4/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaifan
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Humiliation is Humiliation and I sure wouldn't tolerate it.

But they did, and then complied, instead of refusing right there and then.

And then they complain about it, while they allowed it to happen in the first place.
There's just more to this than a one sided issue.

I don't get your point here. These two chose to take the higher road and not make a major scene, major issue and perhaps create a police issue by the time this ignorant driver got done ....and so it's somehow their fault for that reason?

Not everyone SHOULD make Custer's last stand on every single "wrong" they perceive has been done. That's a GREAT way to die from heart failure or stroke before reaching middle age. It's an absolute certain way to live a very miserable and pathetic life...going from one fight to another and basically living to make others miserable.

These two were in town for a happy and, to them, very important event. They apparently weren't going to bite the bigot bait and get themselves into a far worse position or thrown off the bus as the best outcome. That, I respect...not condemn. Would I have said something? Well, I already said I would. However, I wasn't there on THAT bus with this driver and these 2 men. There may have been aspects to this we can never know, not having been there...which made their decision the best one.

I'm afraid the two sides to this story are VERY clear. Bigot and Victims. The roles? Self evident. How I feel about gay behavior is irrelevant. No one has the right to humiliate other people like that for any reason. Period, in my opinion.
edit on 4-8-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't get your point here. These two chose to take the higher road and not make a major scene, major issue and perhaps create a police issue by the time this ignorant driver got done ....and so it's somehow their fault for that reason?

I have to disagree Wrabbit. Choosing to allow somebody to treat you like you are less than them, is about 95% of the problem in our society.

We let a very few with archaic and bigotted mentalities, think it's OK for them to act the way they do. We don't stand up for ourselves, we teach our children to be ' the bigger person '.

I wonder if that whole mentality is some sublte plant by the globalists to encourage more apathy towards their control of our lives.

I would never say that they are at fault for this man's bigotry. Of course he is to blame, they are clearly the victims. The roles are very cut and dry. The way that they chose to react to that situation however is what compounds the problem.

Not everyone SHOULD make Custer's last stand on every single "wrong" they perceive has been done.

I agree with you, but I think people in general have a pretty good understand of when somebody is actually being wronged, as opposed to just peresonally feeling like they have been. In the cases where it matters, like being asked to sit somewhere specific because of non defining characteristic, it's often clear who is doing what.

There may have been aspects to this we can never know, not having been there...which made their decision the best one.

I think that's true for manh different situations. Probably all of them.

I think I'll sum up my thoughts with a quote I've seen attributed to a few different people.

Whats the best way to rid the world of bigotry, racism and other hatred?

Stop participating in it.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Of all the Countries i been to, America has the most homophobic attitude, ill explain.

Do you know in many countries it is normal to put your hands on your friend's(male) shoulder? in america thats gay.

Do you know there is nothing wrong with males hugging? in america that is gay.

There are more of these type of actions that would be considered "gay" when it is not,

I actually wonder if males are actually repressed in America, afraid of these kinda action because they will be labelled as homosexuals. But when it is a sports celebratory, its all good.

Have you heard of the term "no homo"..... that is the most retarded thing i heard, it not only shows how afraid they are to show normal behaviour but also afraid someone will accuse them of being a homosexual.

to tell you the truth, a sentence never seemed "homo" until the retard adds the word "no homo" at the end.

"man, my girl is with her friends, wanna go watch this movie?" "no homo tho" ... ???WTF, why even mention that?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
What is it with Americans and this weird thing about public displays of affection? I never knew you all had such ridiculous hang up's until recently. Are you REALLY all so sexually repressed that you feel "offended" by seeing two people holding hands? Really?

You know, you really shouldn't come to Europe. We have people *shock horror* holding hands and walking along the street!

I've seen people kiss in public too

I agree that they should have caused a fuss, and they should have argued. It is discrimination, obviously, and when gay people accept it and comply they are allowing it to continue.

We don't have a problem with PDA.

However I hear in some countries you can get a jail sentence or worse for it.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Onslaught2996
Americans and their uptight attitudes are really is sickening.

For the love of god, we are like Sodom and Gomorrah over here, get a grip.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I certainly see your point but consider this? The article states they were arriving in town for a major Gay Pride event. I'm betting that, aside from being tired after travel, they were happy and excited to be there and ready to take part in what they'd been looking forward to.

So, along comes this narrow minded shuttle driver doing his little thing as one piece of their overall day. I suppose, they had a choice. Let this slide ....for the moment... (they obviously didn't let it go, or we'd never have heard about it), or make a major stand there and likely miss some or more of the entire purpose they came to Albuquerque?

It's not how I would have handled it. What these two did in the moment. Still? I can see the lines of logic they may well have been following at the time. Let him ruin their plans and purpose for coming? ..or just insure he paid for this later. He got his in the end...even if it wasn't much more than some REAL bad P.R. which I'll bet had the snowball of doom rolling downhill, right into his lap.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm just paraphrasing some responses in general:

1. I agree it was wrong, but in completely unrelated news gay people who get in my face upset me
2. In completely unrelated news, I don't like that society encourages acceptance; I totally enjoy having my opinion
3. Perhaps if people didn't celebrate their sexuality then less people would complain
4. I'm against discrimination but I don't sue people over it, I'm freaking awesome!
5. Holding hands is too overt for in public, they shouldn't have been doing it
6. Who cares if its discrimination, why cause fuss? They still get a seat on the bus; in fact the back seat is better!
7. They 'let' themselves be discriminated against

I suppose I'm starting a mission to offend around 90% of this thread, but what?!

It's a freaking bus. You give money to the driver, you sit down after ensuring elderly, handicapped, and pregnant persons are comfy and it takes you to places. That's it! The driver doesn't ask who you vote for, what you worship, or start a commentary or on your hand holding procedures. You don't fill out a 401y application to ride on a freaking bus form.

1 - 4 is just politicizing the issue for no real reason. I mean if a Christian or a person with a fascination with the color yellow got on the bus I'd be saying the same thing! The simple act of getting on a bus oppresses no one. I missed the part where any of this really matters.

5 ... no ones business. Some cultures hold hands and aren't even gay for starters.

6 Gay bus seats. That's what we just invented here. Gay seats. I get on a bus, I sit where I want. The driver tells me my demographic sits up the back, my left eye brow comes up and bus driver gets smacked down.

7 So they didn't stand up for themselves, who cares?! People have places to be ... maybe they were being considerate >.<

I suppose I just don't see the complexity of the thread or the issue. People have the right to think what they want. People have the right to celebrate what they want. If you're the bus driver, you have the right to drive the freaking bus.

Okay, am done.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Holding hands is too overt in public? sorry have we timewarped to 1882?
edit on 4-8-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by markosity1973
The most ironic thing about this is that AMERICA is trying to take the high moral ground against Russia in the gay rights argument now that the Sochi olympics are nearly upon us. And yet stories like this are surfacing on an almost daily basis.

Anyone smell a hypocritical rat?

Some days I really do find myself asking who the bigger monster is between America and Russia......
edit on 4-8-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

With all due respect, one person being a bigot in the USA is nothing like a state backed campaign of intimidation, criminalization and victimization by the Russian state

You cannot seriously be comparing the US to Russia on gay rights. The US wins hands-down in that regard (even if it fails completely in numerous other areas).

The Russian government is allowing right-wing extremists to murder, assault or torture gay people in Russia. Police all over the country are allowing this to happen, standing by and watching it take place right in front of them, and the gay people under attack have no legal support at all.

Russia is a homophobic nation actively encouraging widespread persecution of citizens.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
We don't have a problem with PDA.

However I hear in some countries you can get a jail sentence or worse for it.

Sorry, but you really do have some strange problem with it, compared to many other countries.
I saw a "what would you do" piece where they had a couple kissing in the street, and people were extremely awkward about it all, as if they were seeing two aliens making out.

These people were almost childish, and self-righteous too, giggling like teenagers or suggesting that it was "highly inappropriate".

In the UK, people generally wouldn't notice. If they did, they certainly wouldn't have something bad to say about it, on the whole. Of course, if it were a gay couple, that would be different (as it would in the US), but even straight people get really odd reactions for it in the US.

Yes, there are some countries out there where such things are frowned upon even more, but those countries are not the subject of this thread, America is, and the response to people holding hands. As a moderator admitted, he too seems to think that people holding hands is inappropriate, although it looks like he doesn't even know why.

It comes down to this, does it offend you to see two people kissing? And even if it does, can I get you to change your t-shirt if it "offends" me?

Too many people are too easily "offended" in America, over absolutely nothing, things that have ZERO bearing on their own existence. Too many seem to think that the fact they are personally so uptight, with a tick shoved so far up their jacksie it's tickling their tonsils, they have a right to tell people about it.

If it isn't attacking your rights and your freedoms, leave other people alone. It's really pretty simple.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join