It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: President Bush Revives Immigration Amnesty Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Shortly after President George W. Bush took office in 2000 he put forth an immigration proposal that flew in the face of Republican conservatives. The President�s plan was to relax the immigration constraints and actually give citizenship to millions of illegal aliens who crossed into the country illegally. After the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 the President shelved the controversial plan and downplayed it while campaigning against Senator John Kerry. However, now just over a week after winning reelection President Bush is pushing to breathe new life into the plan.

www.washtimes.com
"We are formulating plans for the legislative agenda for next year," said White House political strategist Karl Rove. "And immigration will be on that agenda."

He added: "The president had a meeting this morning to discuss with a significant member of the Senate the prospect of immigration reform. And he's going to make it an important item."

While the president was huddling with Mr. McCain, Secretary of State Colin L. Powell was pushing the plan during a visit to Mexico City. "The president remains committed to comprehensive immigration reform as a high priority in his second term," he told a meeting of the U.S.-Mexico Binational Commission. "We will work closely with our Congress to achieve this goal."

But key opponents in Congress said Mr. Bush's proposal isn't going anywhere.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The news came out of a meeting within the Oval Office between the President and Arizona Senator John McCain. The two discussed plans to revive the once dead amnesty plan. Meanwhile, Secretary of State Colin Powell was addressing a US-Mexico Bi-national Commission in Mexico City. The Secretary stated, �The president remains committed to comprehensive immigration reform as a high priority in his second term.�

The plan is unlikely to pass because the Republican Congress remains skeptical of the plan. Additionally several members of Congress are confused as to why the president choose to revive the exact same plan Congress flatly denied in January 2004. Many in Congress are astonished the president choose this legislation to be his first major push of his second term when he has other high profile agenda items, such as tax simplification and Social Security Privatization, that remain untouched.

Despite allegations to the contrary and the questionable pushing of the amnesty legislation the Bush administration unequivocally denies using the legislation as a reward for the increased Hispanic vote it received this election.

This news is bad news for conservatives everywhere. Conservatives believe that countries must have boundaries in order to remain to be a country. If a countries borders are made porous then the country itself compromises it�s meaning, it�s purpose, and most importantly it�s security. In a time of such unprecedented security concerns this type of legislation by a President who ran as a tough on terror candidate is totally unacceptable.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
When George Bush said he planned to spend political capital he gained during the election, I had no idea he was going to blow it all on something as assanine as this. Not only is he going to use all his political capital he is going to have to get an advance from Payday Advance to help cover this purposed plan.

I voted for Bush, but I am a conservative above anything else so this really chaps my hide.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Despite allegations to the contrary and the questionable pushing of the amnesty legislation the Bush administration unequivocally denies using the legislation as a reward for the increased Hispanic vote it received this election.

The answer is in the original post

Attorney General is now Hispanic, now this, just after the election. The idea is to cultivate a Pavlovian reflex in the Hispanic populace -- press the right button, get a candy.

How pathetic

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
..and what did you expect from bush?????
is this some type of weird plan to bump up S.S.?? get all those illeagals leagal and on real payrolls so they too can pay s.s. tax and medicare????

this is only the tip of the 'iceberg' known as bush...

what did you excpect????????????

[edit on 10-11-2004 by clearmind]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Actually it is a quite predictable move. There are an estimated 10 million illegal aliens in America. We all ready have 1 per 100 soldiers in the Army that are not citizens. The Democratic Bill in Congress calls for a mandatory 2 year service in the military for all citizens. Just like the IDF. Got it yet?
Make 10 million illegal aliens citizens and you have fodder for the coming battles.
That would be Bush's brain thinking a.k.a. Karl Rove. Notice the K in Carl.
Polar Bear

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I don't like it much either, but I think this is indicative of a new reality and the fact that GWB and top Republicans realize what it is.

Oh, what is it you ask?

Within 20 years, Hispanics might well be the majority population in this country. That's what the numbers point to. How is the Republicans courting the Hispanic vote any different from the Democrats courting the Black or Gay vote? I doubt Bush and Co. actually think it will pass but just pushing for it scores points with those who would benefit from it and any family they have.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
We Republicans rigged and won the election. Skull and Bones forever

can't wait till we throw every freak'in liberal into a FEMA camp, Make My Day, Muffin

BEAR

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
We Republicans rigged and won the election. Skull and Bones forever

can't wait till we throw every freak'in liberal into a FEMA camp, Make My Day, Muffin

BEAR

top topics

join