It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hold onto your pastries...Syrian Rebels Ban Croissants in Aleppo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
So it would appear that the beloved croissant has come under fire in Syria...

a sharia committee overseeing a rebel-held area of Aleppo thinks otherwise. The judicial committee, Hayaa al-Sharia, banned Syrians from consuming the flaky pastries earlier this week. The committee isn’t taking a page out of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s book and banning croissants for their impressive calorie count, however — the committee announced that the moon-shaped pastry “celebrates European victory over Muslims,” Al Arabiya reported. Syria was a French colony until the mid-twentieth century. The fatwa against croissants, which aren’t likely to be abundant in the war-torn city anyway, is part of a growing trend of extremism in rebel groups.

Go to the article here

I understand that this may be a serious subject to some.... but in my eyes... it made me chuckle. lol

What are your thoughts on this question of ethical pastry banning??

I do love myself a good croissant... smothered in butter , jam , choco hazelnut , spread to name but a few

Your opinions and tasty pastry recipes are greatly looked forward to!!

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Wow.' And people think Christians are intolerant.
Those rebels need to get a life.
edit on 3-8-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by the2010apprentice

I know I'm used to the crescent shape, but my store also sells the straight variety. One can readily observe that it makes for easier packaging. So Syria, hello?? Straighten them out and voilà the problem dissipates.

Although not in my normal menu, I would readily cross the street for an almond paste filled one though, yum!
edit on 3-8-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Their loss, more croissants for the rest of us. Butter and honey in mine please.

join