It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nazi war crimes suspect aged 98 charged in Hungary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Hungarian prosecutors have charged a 98-year-old top Nazi war crimes suspect over his brutal role in organising the deportation of some 12,000 Jews to Second World War death camps.

The former police officer "regularly beat the interned Jews with his bare hands and whipped them with a dog-whip without any special reasons, regardless of their sex, age or health," prosecutors said in a statement.

He was sentenced to death in absentia in 1948 by a court in what was then Czechoslovakia but he made it to Canada where he lived and worked as an art dealer before being stripped of his citizenship there in the 1990s. He ended up in Budapest where he lived freely until prosecutors began investigating his case in September 2011 on the basis of information provided by the Wiesenthal Center, and he was placed under house arrest last July.

Full story here:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Well it only took them around 66 years to find him, - end sarcasm- but better later than never. It really makes me upset that he actually managed to get away all his life, and then at the age of 98 gets caught.

But at least they will prosecute him now, and in the end he got what he deserved.
I wonder how many more nazi crime suspects ( in their 90s) are still alive and out there....

edit on 3-8-2013 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
98 Years Old! Oh god! Ahahah I know i shouldn't laugh but strangely i find this hilarious,

Imagine if he forgot what he did & he can't remember ahahah Although i very much doubt he could forget something so despicable like that.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
No, it's not ridiculous.
Question is, why Hungary (I grew up here) is a culture that allowed this guy to flourish in peace for so long when a few other countries have already discovered the truth about him?
A country of many painful secrets, a Latin American style of political culture in the heart of Europe.

If Mr. Csatary was stripped of his citizenship in Canada, why did we wait for 13 more years? That's the only thing I do not understand...

Perhaps had he come forward to state that he had regretted his actions, we would have consideration for him. The thing is, some of his victims could have also made it to near 100-year-old but didn't. The died in their 20's and 30's...

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Glad they have got him and glad he will die in jail (If guilty) grand old age 98....pity 12000 people he sent to the death camps couldn't reach his age.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I knew a very old Hungarian lady, she was a Jew. She used to tell me stories of how her and her mother were hiding in basements. They would only travel at night, and always look for another place to hide. Thank God she and her mom made it safe, but the rest of her family didn't. She was a little child during WW2 and she didn't remember much, only constantly being cold and hungry. That kind lady past away a few years ago, may she rest in peace.

Reading this article reminded me of her stories, and just pissed me off that Laszlo Lajos Csatari got away this long.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I'm sure there are many relatives of those who were brutalized and murdered by these soulless thugs, that will be glad to see this. It's understandable.

Now, if we could just put the same kind of resources and resolve into bringing today's jack-booted thugs to justice, we might just get somewhere.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

The former police officer "regularly beat the interned Jews with his bare hands and whipped them with a dog-whip without any special reasons, regardless of their sex, age or health," prosecutors said in a statement.

Well, I think its pretty clear what should be done to him as he did to many others

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Isn't it amazing how so many "top Nazis" live to be such an old age. It's funny how they want to execute someone because of a crime he was suspected of doing while people who were responsible for the deaths of millions of Christians in Russia live free and easy in Israel. It is time this hypocritical witch hunt came to an end.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Isn't it amazing how so many "top Nazis" live to be such an old age. It's funny how they want to execute someone because of a crime he was suspected of doing while people who were responsible for the deaths of millions of Christians in Russia live free and easy in Israel. It is time this hypocritical witch hunt came to an end.

First of all, two wrongs do not make a right.
I think any sane person judging cases like Csatary would also be critical of the Soviet crimes or the Maoist ones. (The Nazi style and speed surpassed anybody else during the years of WW2 though). This does not make German (and Hungarian) war crimes any better... Get it?

Besides, it is highly questionable whether the Soviet perpetrators could be considered Jewish (as you hint). No doubt a few well-known high officials of that criminal state were of Jewish origin (though they did not consider themselves Jewish, rather Communist Party member), but tens of thousands of perpetrators who were actually whipping people like Mr. Csatary were not. Besides, the Soviet Union was time to time purging Jews and "Zionists."

The Soviet Union regarded being Jewish as ethnicity, which was marked in people's identity cards.
It is highly unlikely any Soviet criminal causing the deaths of "millions of Christians" would be alive and well in Israel. Can you support proof to the contrary?

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I agree with you about the Russian situation and the double standards etc.

However, I do think if someone is proved guilty beyond doubt then its irrelevant how long they have eluded captivity they should be brought to trial. I doubt at that age he can remember much of his past, I have trouble remembering what I did yesterday occasionally - to go back some 60+ years is a tall order. I do hope the authorities have got it right though because its an awful longtime ago. I also have a great deal of sympathy with anyone living who has those memories such as an earlier poster said when telling us about an elderly lady from Hungary.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by FeelingPure

There is nothing hilarious about it...

Age did not matter to the Nazis, so why should it matter here? He made his own bed.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Just think if he been a scientist then not only would have got away with it he probably would have been given US citizenship and a job.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I don't see the purpose in jailing this chap. What will be achieved?

There are a host of mass murderers living in the UK who have committed recent atrocities in place like Iraq, Rwanda and the Ivory Coast. These are known to UK authorities and yet are allowed to live in peace and usually with state support (housing and spending money). In my mind these recent murderers are a far greater threat that a 98 year old man and yet somehow they go unpunished.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by fossildog

I agree with you to some point. He's close to death, he's old, probably can't remember most of what he did, and current, more dangerous criminals should be sent to jail instead of him. (He can't do anyone anymore harm.) I still feel though that he should get punished for what he did, and jail is the only option I see.

It just grinds my gears that it took so long to find and prosecute him.

new topics

top topics

join