It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - "Better yourself through education" Can you afford it? I cant.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I hear the same story all the time from hard working well off people "If you want to be paid more, learn skills that are useful to an employer" - And to a certain extent, i agree.

On April 2nd 2012 i quit working a minimum wage incredibly stressful job working in a coffee shop. - Quite literally driving me crazy (I ended up in counselling but im fine now) Anyhow! After making myself unemployed at 23 years old and in the midst's of a "recession" (Despite a coffee shops opening up on every corner selling coffee for £2.50 Regular size and these shops never being empty
) I decided i was going to take the grand advice of hard working well off people.

So, i started by under-taking voluntary work for a charity in order to learn some basic admin skills (Filing, Faxing, Using multi-functional machines, dealing with day to day admin tasks etc) Ive been doing that for a year, free of charge, while i look for work. I worked over last Christmas and STILL kept one day open to do this voluntary work. In January of this year i started a short course (ITQ level 2) to learn basic skills in Excel, Word and Power point. It cost me £8 in total (I was discounted due to being on job-seekers, cant complain really)

Anyhow, they've merged all the local collages in Leeds (So now they're no longer competing with each other in terms of price/courses offered) So also in January this year, i went to go see Leeds City College about getting a formal qualification for Level 2 Business Admin - Completion of this course would effectively make me qualified to be an administrative assistant. At the time i was discussing my financial situation with them and they said to me, even if you find a job come Enrolment in Aug, the course shouldn't really cost you any more than £600.
Now, that's pretty steep in itself. But ive saved up a bit of money from when i was working and i could afford THAT.

However, my position since January has changed and now i feel angry and stuck. After being unemployed 8 months, i am due to start a job in a call/contact centre on the 12th of Aug - If i dont do well then after 3 months i shall find myself back on the dole. I am more than happy to be starting work again. However, as i understand society, you NEED skills to have a basic living/secure..ish job.

Anyhow, i got a letter through today regarding my enrolment at college for the business admin course. How much did they want from me for about 10 months of actual tuition?
£1100 for Tuition
£90 for Exam Fees.

Here is a copy of the letter:

I simply cannot afford that. The job centre wont pay for it because its a full time course and i wont be signing on come enrolment day on the 28th anyhow. I am shocked and WOUNDED at yet another brick wall put in my way despite my best efforts to better myself so i can get out of low-paid high stress jobs.

So.. what am i suppose to do? Bettering yourself has become financially burdening, Education itself has turned into business. To go to university these days can cost someone upwards of £6000 a year, add a loan on top of that for living expense's and you dont even know if theirs a job for you at the end of it!

Its a myth that if you work hard and be patient, good things will come. Its not like im asking for a 20k wage, be promoted to manager within my first week, drive an audi, have a mansion - Im just trying to attain the skills to do better! I think MY generation has got it bad but im sitting here thinking that people being born today (in lower-income families) will have even less than me.

Any advice is welcomed, though i would quite like to discuss education becoming the most expensive elitist sector in the 21st century. Just really don't have a clue what to do.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Read your story with sympathy.

I believe there has been a deliberate policy in this country to keep people who did not get the skills at school and college on the dole. Think about in one tiny way though, when desperate you will join the services etc.

I have argued for years that with unemployment we need to, as soon as someone is registered and can't get the work they actually want, to educate our unemployed. But the government won't pay them their benefit because if they do a course, they are not 'unemployed'. We actually import a lot of our semi-skilled labour from abroad and have done for years and years.

Its the same within the prisons, instead of using prison time to get people qualified in skills that are needed, they are given paltry, silly courses such as computing with out of date soft-ware that doesn't get them the skills they need to build a new life.

We need a completly re-think on our unemployed and get those that want to work into training they would shine at, enjoy and be able to use to the country's benefit. We have a huge resource that it seems we deliberately choose to ignore.

Also a 'one size fits all education system' does not account for people who are late developers and many who develop late are at a time in their lives when they are at the age to simply walk into work with a mature attitude.

When the big industries were denationalised we lost so many apprenticeships that these industries provided that we have never fully recovered that form of training.

We also hear that employers can't get the skilled workers they need here yet little seems to be done to introduce the employers to the training facilities here or introduce new methods of training whilst on the job for the specific skills employers need. Noone seems to consider putting a trainer, paid by the government and able to sign qualifications earned at the job, into a firm to work alongside trainees and bring them up fast. There is a lot more that can be done that should be done.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
PS Good luck.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Bleh Bleh Bleh... The world sucks - but life is what you make of it.

You have neglected to inform everybody that you should have completed your basic IT in school, I did, got 4 GNVQ's at grade A.

College is FREE from 16-19. If you MISS that window, Tuition is now free for those of 24+

You are able to claim tuition for University ANY TIME YOU PLEASE. Open University accepts NO qualifications, and leaves your fate in your hands.

Not to mention APPRENTICESHIPS are in abundance to enable you to work and gain qualifications. If you use your head, you'd pick a trade - Engineering apprenticeships offer a decent wage of over £6 per hour, and always lead to long term employment.

Extremely stressful COFFEE job...are you for real?

See - lot's of options and it took me 4 minutes of trying...

Its a myth that if you work hard and be patient, good things will come.

Sounds like your not trying hard enough in my opinion.

I think MY generation has got it bad

We could have it better that's for sure, however, I AM your generation - and from my point of view, the majority of our generation lack the basic mental capacity to over come the above mentioned barriers, when in actual fact - if you apply you mind - you WILL achieve results.

FYI - If you couldn't handle being a waitress, you certainly won't handle a call centre.

edit on 3-8-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

You ever needed to serve the public? one of the most stressful jobs out there

At least when I ran a pub If someone peed me off I could bar them

OP I agree even If you get work and have to take training some places want you to pay for it, I have left my last job due to this, my training was costing me more than my wage.
Luckily I have found a new place that will pay for my training

Leeds lass are you? Brighouse here
enjot the weather love.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

OP I agree even If you get work and have to take training some places want you to pay for it, I have left my last job due to this, my training was costing me more than my wage.

enjot the weather love.

I'm 21 and Administrate to Job Seekers all day. I'm very familiar with the public.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Also there are alot of free courses you can take but the funding has dried up for many so good luck either way.
If you are the caring sort you can find work in care, for the elderly the mentally ill or LD.
Stressful but way more rewarding than a lot of work out there.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

I absolutely agree with you. Bringing workers in from abroad has been a short term solution to a worrying problem. Only recently did Nigel Farrage expose how 800,000 British job's were being advertised across Europe (to an audience of 500 million people) Offering migrants financial assistance to get here and employers wage incentives of up to £1,000 to employ people from abroad - All the while, british people are being slagged for being on the dole.
See this source for details

And also with the raising of tuition fee's, merging of colleges to detract from competitive rates, clearly this is ensure the upper-crust stays fresh and crispy, while people born in low-end Jeremy kyle type families, never really stand a chance at bettering themselves.

Its all starting to feel like the luck of the draw yano?

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   

while people born in low-end Jeremy kyle type families, never really stand a chance at bettering themselves.

I come from one of those - I've been semi-homeless since 14, dropped outta college....But have still managed to gain 3 Qualifications since school, have been employed by the Chamber of Commerce for the last 14 months, and begin my university course in October.

Although we have all been made to believe the lie that money is everything...It's not.
Free your mind and the world is your oyster.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Man this sucks. All it does say under the fees thing to double check if you should be paying the money.

Also, why not do an apprenticeship? You can get them no matter your age, and doing your business as well.

My GF done that and she's 20, yeah she earns little money, but it's enough. She has also been told that the company she is with doing her Business Admin Level 3 course will take her on after.

The company paid for the course, and she attends adult college once a week. If she fails then yes, she has to pay the 500 pound back, but she has all ready saved that just in case.

I really think and apprenticeship is the way to go for you! Working, learning and earning.

Either way, good luck with your work etc, I hope it all pans out for you.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
You're completely correct,I'm in the same situation. I'm 22 and left school 6 years ago but only recently in the last year found my niche.

I'm applying for a college course but too it will cost me 1000. It's absolutely absurd since at my age,i'm working and paying bills. Where do you expect someone at that age to find that kind of money and pay bills whilst trying to maintain a full time job to continue to pay these bills.

It's downright absurd.

It's all about the damn money.

Goddammit.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
Bleh Bleh Bleh... The world sucks - but life is what you make of it.

You have neglected to inform everybody that you should have completed your basic IT in school, I did, got 4 GNVQ's at grade A.

College is FREE from 16-19. If you MISS that window, Tuition is now free for those of 24+

Life IS what you make of it and if you didnt bother to read the OP, i am trying to change my lot in life by learning new skills. I have my 5 GCSE's including English Lit/Lang and Maths. 2 A-Levels in English Lit and Geography. Now i want to learn some actual skills so i can be more useful to society and im getting an "access denied"

I think i have a right to be upset mate.

And i am 24 but they're still expecting me to pay tuition i cant afford, so please link your source as to how i go about getting it paid for me, thanks.

You are able to claim tuition for University ANY TIME YOU PLEASE. Open University accepts NO qualifications, and leaves your fate in your hands.

Isnt offering a Level 2 business admin course. Ive already done an Openings module with them.

Not to mention APPRENTICESHIPS are in abundance to enable you to work and gain qualifications. If you use your head, you'd pick a trade - Engineering apprenticeships offer a decent wage of over £6 per hour, and always lead to long term employment.

Are you missing the point here? Im not an engineer, I wouldn't be suited to be an engineer! I want to go into administration because IM BETTER SUITED FOR IT. As for apprenticeships being in abundance i dont know what planet you're on but they're not.

Extremely stressful COFFEE job...are you for real?

Service sector can be very stressful especially when you have poor management running the show, take into account your life outside of work falling apart and yeah, it all get's on top and even the smallest things become stressful. I dont need to defend myself to you, if you dont understand that each job can have its toll on people that's not my problem, perhaps you should learn some compassion and stop judging people before you've even walked in their shoes.

See - lot's of options and it took me 4 minutes of trying...

Its a myth that if you work hard and be patient, good things will come.

Sounds like your not trying hard enough in my opinion.

I think MY generation has got it bad

We could have it better that's for sure, however, I AM your generation - and from my point of view, the majority of our generation lack the basic mental capacity to over come the above mentioned barriers, when in actual fact - if you apply you mind - you WILL achieve results.

Obviously you're entitled to your opinion and im slightly insulted by your rose-tinted view of the world. I posted this thread because i wanted some advice, yano, some help so that i can do better. Telling me to "work harder" isnt exactly contributing.

FYI - If you couldn't handle being a waitress, you certainly won't handle a call centre.

Hahaha, well, i guess i'll just go give up on life then because obviously, you're the people expert

Enlighten me, Where have i gone wrong?

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I'm 21 and Administrate to Job Seekers all day. I'm very familiar with the public.

Yeah, by you're attitude i can tell your one of those twat nosed "advisor's" with an attitude that could give a stink bomb a run for its money. Bet you speak to people the same way you replied to me eh? Like im not trying hard enough? If i spoke to customers with the same tone you carry i'd be out of a job, so of course you dont understand how stressful the service sector can be, You dont have to appease your customer's, you can abuse them verbally/emotionally until they're no longer on your books.

I want your job, sounds easy.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

while people born in low-end Jeremy kyle type families, never really stand a chance at bettering themselves.

I come from one of those - I've been semi-homeless since 14, dropped outta college....But have still managed to gain 3 Qualifications since school, have been employed by the Chamber of Commerce for the last 14 months, and begin my university course in October.

Although we have all been made to believe the lie that money is everything...It's not.
Free your mind and the world is your oyster.

Dude, im happy that you've over come struggles in your life, in comparison mine dont seem so bad but they're still relevant. Im looking for a solution, not an argument and not for someone to put me down because they've worked their way out of the rat-race.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by brace22
Man this sucks. All it does say under the fees thing to double check if you should be paying the money.

Also, why not do an apprenticeship? You can get them no matter your age, and doing your business as well.

My GF done that and she's 20, yeah she earns little money, but it's enough. She has also been told that the company she is with doing her Business Admin Level 3 course will take her on after.

The company paid for the course, and she attends adult college once a week. If she fails then yes, she has to pay the 500 pound back, but she has all ready saved that just in case.

I really think and apprenticeship is the way to go for you! Working, learning and earning.

Either way, good luck with your work etc, I hope it all pans out for you.

Thank you, i will look into it again. I wish your GF all the best with her studies!

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Winged-Sphinx
You're completely correct,I'm in the same situation. I'm 22 and left school 6 years ago but only recently in the last year found my niche.

I'm applying for a college course but too it will cost me 1000. It's absolutely absurd since at my age,i'm working and paying bills. Where do you expect someone at that age to find that kind of money and pay bills whilst trying to maintain a full time job to continue to pay these bills.

It's downright absurd.

It's all about the damn money.

Goddammit.

I absolutely feel your frustration!

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

enjot the weather love.

No wonder you come across as hard and mean then. You have to have a sadistic streak to punish people the way they do via the good ol' DWP!

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

One of the hardest things to contend with is the cost of living in the UK. Even the figures are massaged to not show certain necessity bills which have risen sky-high.

The trouble is that its a balancing act to pay your bills, study and work. I wondered if with your qualifications you had managed to think outside the box a bit and if you really know exactly what you want to do. Simply because unless you focus on a specific type of work its hard to move forward.

Also today many people change their careers or work 'field' simply because of means out of their control, so whatever you do, you seem to me to have good qualifications which cover most employment needs but you do need to be adaptable, which you have demonstrated you are. I would end up tipping the coffee on people's heads
so you are gifted with tolerance. With your qualifications don't aim too low and again very good luck.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
With the Internet, you can learn quite a bit with just a computer. Self-education is likely the route you will have to take if finances are truly an obstacle.

Online, for example, at sites like Khan Academy, you can learn mathematics, including Calculus, among other subjects.

Public libraries are free. You can gain Internet access there, and books are plentiful on nearly every subject under the sun.

For a couple hundred dollars, you can purchase a full set of the Harvard Classics or the Great Books of the Western World. Read and study these sets of books, and you will be better educated than a large majority of the general population.

If I had no money, and limited job prospects, I'd probably join the local carpenter or electrician's union, and take up an apprenticeship. There is always demand for good skilled tradesmen.

In terms of cost of living, you may have to relocate. Living in a high rent district, or even a country that is very expensive, can prove difficult. You have no limits - you can go east, west, south, north. No one can put limits on your ambition.
edit on 3-8-2013 by CookieMonster09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
My oldest son is going for his second year, and he's conservative about his student loans. He took year 1 with top marks in all courses, all his courses above 90%: physics, calculus, chemistry, computer programming and english. But it was out of work for a while and took 2 years paying down his student loan. Now he's going for his second year, on a student loan. He's considering majoring in math. In any case, even with his mind, his reluctance to go into debt and to pay it off even in a tight economy, makes this a long process.

For just one year, I would consider a student loan. Especially since its a small one, and you don't need the cost of living. Its less than a cheap second hand vehicle.

And yes, the entire system is disgusting.
edit on 4-8-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join