It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic High School Cans Teacher After His Big, Gay Wedding

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

I agree, its not cut and dried. The religious institutions have been able to live in a bubble from laws that are universal in the country, and get away with discrimination. That protection can be challenged. And it may be toppled.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan
reply to post by Mindless1980

Its a private organization with no public funds, they can pretty much do what they want.

I don't believe this is enitrely accurate?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain religious organizations can do this but no one else can really. I'm not 100% up to date with California law though, but in my country that's the case. Less taxes and discrimination exclusions ... I need to start a religion.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I think the reason was justifiable and I'm not very Christian and I support gay marriage. Here's why:

- There were likely religious rules set into place, and these requirements must be met to obtain and keep employment. It is entirely legal of them to refuse based on sexual orientation if it conflicts with their religious practices. I think this is a good thing and pointless to enforce employers to do otherwise. (causes conflict in the future and waste of time and money for everyone)

- In Catholicism (I got married under this), you can't have sex until after you are married and your marriage is not accepted until you conceive. In other words, seal the deal. This means that anyone teaching at a Catholic school should follow the religion pretty well, otherwise they wouldn't be a good teacher for that school. I know, this is 'merka so it sounds strange to wait until after marriage but besides the white kids of today's youth, it's still well practiced around the world, even when religion isn't involved.

So that means that he was allowed to work there so long as he wasn't having sex, and since he got married that means he will be having sex now (religiously speaking). Perhaps they didn't know he was gay and he just invited a friend, after all, it's hard to tell gay people from straight people if you have the mentality of "no one should be gay". There's the possibility that he got fired because they wanted him out because his pay was pretty high but I doubt that is the case. I think that the school thought that he was just a bad influence and could corrupt his students now that he's married to a gay guy, in other words telling kids gay people can get married too which is contradicting to what the church says.

So I think that he got fired for a perfectly legitimate reason. But I'm the same kind of person that thinks it should be okay to hire only whites, or only gays, or only people with a certain religious background or people that will wear skirts the whole time. People have the responsibility of declining a job offer with specific terms, I don't think the government should get involved unless those terms were changed on the spot without warning.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Originally posted by acacko
reply to post by sled735

they should have fired him 17 years ago

For what?

For being Gay, obviously teachers should not be Gay, We are too busy trying to seduce and brainwash the children!

but seriously

it's wrong, discrimination should not exist in this world from anyone

i mean how would it be taken the other way, a straight person gets fired for getting married after teaching for X amount of years,

it's wrong, maybe it fits within their laws and rules, maybe they told him and he knew and still did it.

it's still wrong and sad that we get treated in such ways, let me rephrase that, it's sad that we and others get treated like that

top topics

<< 1   >>

join