It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

semi jumps highway and explodes wow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Hello

I just saw this on my local news and thought others would like it.

A semi in Indianapolis jumped a highway Evel knievel style and exploded, and its all caught on video.

I can't believe a semi got this much air lol

www.clarionledger.com...

A scene that unfolded southeast of Indianapolis on Thursday looked like it came straight from “The Dukes of Hazzard.”

A truck driver ran his semi up an embankment along I-74 near Greensburg, sailed into the air and burst into flames upon landing. The driver and his 7-year-old son escaped with minor injuries

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I swear if I was the driver I would be screaming like a maniac. Was it a fuel tanker? I was surprise how fast it blew up like that. I have never seen anything like that before.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Ah. Showing off for the kid, was he?

Boy, that is quite a lot of air. If someone had told me that, without video, I wouldn't have believed it....

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
When that truck caught air, this was the first thing that popped in my head...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
He'll be shot by a leo for not having a pilots license.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Wow, that is amazing video.

I wonder what would cause the driver to completely lose control? Blowouts don't affect trucks that big. Maybe he fell asleep? I am glad he and his 7 y/o were able to get away safely.

edit on 2013/8/2 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Metallicus

I wonder what would cause the driver to completely lose control? Blowouts don't affect trucks that big. Maybe he fell asleep? I am glad he and his 7 y/o were able to get away safely.

The driver and his 7-year-old son escaped with minor injuries

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
In the uk we're speed limited to 56 mph. The guy in that semi looked like he was doing about 90
Are your trucks over there not limited?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
In the uk we're speed limited to 56 mph. The guy in that semi looked like he was doing about 90

Most highways are 70 mph, but he had to be doing 90 to get that much air

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss

first thing that went through my head was Smokey and the bandit and this song

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Most highways are 70 mph, but he had to be doing 90 to get that much air

In the UK all trucks are fitted with speed limiters, they just wont go past 56mph. On all roads except motorways we're limited to 40mph, on motorways we can do 60mph but the limiter kicks in at 56mph.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Here in the U.S. most trucks are not limited speed wise,
they follow the same posted speed limits as cars do other
than some exceptions, some states have a set speed limit
for trucks and a different one for cars, usually 10 or so MPH
less for trucks.

Some companies here in the U.S. have begun using speed
limiters for fuel economy though, the ones i have heard of
are set to 65mph or so.
edit on 3-8-2013 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Metallicus

My first thought was he fell asleep too. But in the article it says he claimed he was avoiding another car that was drifting into his lane. Somehow,I don't believe that. Thank god no one got hurt though. That was crazy!

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Well, that is one way to end a trucking career. At least his son wasn't seriously hurt. I'm going to take a wild guess from driving those most of my life to say the kid was in the sleeper and that's about what saved him. I think he'd have been a ping pong ball up front, while everything else was in midair with him.

Avoiding another car... uh-huh...and I've still got that bridge I need to unload. Dirt cheap and clean land deed! I promise. There are several reasons I think that's about a total lie and I think his Safety Department is going to see it that way too. The biggest one? I agree with everyone else about speed. NO WAY he flew across multiple lanes with all 18 off the ground ...doing anything like the speed limit. Especially not after just climbing a hill to even get there ..AND punching through a guard rail not designed to just get punched through like paper. He couldn't have even touched the brake pedal, in my professional opinion. Not even tried.

Now imagine you're running down the road, swerve to miss someone and realize..somehow...Your about to have a catastrophic accident in the next few seconds. Do you say Yee-Haw!! Grab the wheel and let 'er fly? Or do you mash the brakes to the floor and wish they'd go just a bit further? Human instinct?

Rip Van Winkle isn't long for trucking, would be my safe guess....not with a youtube sensation like THAT to follow him around to every future trucking application. You just know whoever he ran freight with now won't forget to mention that little detail in the reference calls.

@ To those asking about speed governors? Yes, All American made semis like that have speed controls. They are built right into the electronic control module by default. However, if you own your truck or work for a handful of companies that still, despite all the regulation these days, run on the outlaw side of things? The limiting can be disabled by the owner through a shop or dealership. The trucks can easily break 120 (depending on transmission and gearing) if they have the ground to build speed or are running empty.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

every one participating in the "micheal hastings death" threads should be forced to watch that vid

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodreviara

All large companies are limited, and some independents are as well, to save fuel. Every truck I've driven, with the exception of one has a governor. They can be messed with, but a lot more than not are governed. Most are set between 62 and 65 mph, as that's the most efficient speed for them to run. Five miles per hour is the difference between 7-8 mpg, and 5-6 mpg. That's a lot of money, especially now (I just spent $600 on 159 gallons).

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by bloodreviara

Every truck I've driven, with the exception of one has a governor. They can be messed with

Yep. While out on the road one day I noticed the governor wasn't working. I was amazed just how much faster I could go!
Now obviously I didn't go above the speed limit
but I'm sure i could have gotten 95 out of it

What caused it to stop working? A bearing in the gearbox was shedding little bits of metal and the sensor for the governor was a magnetic pickup device. The little bits of metal stuck to the sensor and blocked the signals. In this condition the speedometer still worked but the revcounter and tachograph didn't. It seemed to me that all a person would need to do would be to pull the wire of the sensor.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Mine has a software issue where if I come out of 7th at high RPM she'll jump the governor and go into passing gear. Only hits about 67, but it's a nice 20 minutes or so when I can actually pass.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Mine has a software issue where if I come out of 7th at high RPM she'll jump the governor and go into passing gear. Only hits about 67, but it's a nice 20 minutes or so when I can actually pass.

Of course that's all theoretical. As a responsible driver I know you'd keep to the speed limit

Friend of mine works as an engineer for a local company. he was telling me about the setup they now have on their new fleet. From his computer in his office he can log into any of their trucks. He can monitor the steering wheel, the pedals, the speed, whether going up or down hill, fuel level, water temps, weight, when the driver is in the seat!!, turn indicators, what gear is selected, and a whole load of other stuff.
I asked him if he has any remote control and he said he's able to stop the engine.

It wont be long before they don't need a driver.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I really can't go over the speed limit in this truck (now).

Yeah, I was talking to a company driver with another company and he said that their dispatch monitors them and if they go too fast, over too long a time, the next time their truck is shut off, they remotely enter it, and turn the governor down.

One of my favorite questions when I was teaching orientation was "Is it true they turn the engine off if you go over hours?" (talking about the EOBR). Yes. Yes it is. You're going down Cabbage, and go over your hours, and they turn the engine off.

I always wanted to smack the person asking.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join