It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

massive sinkhole develops in kansas

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
My apologies to Tetra and everyone else on this thread.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Chickensalad

Thanks for the correction on that, as for it not happening You never know.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

I believe you may be right on this after I did more research on the aquifer itself.

This specific area of the High Plains aquifer system seems to be at a very shallow depth and the aquifer itself is a shallow one. It also seems a report was issued last month claiming a depletion in the aquifer over the years.

With this sinkhole being so close to the rockies and the underground water may have eroded away some soft soils and caused an above ground erosion such as this.

I could be way off here too.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Sounds and looks most likely to be this type:

Cover-subsidence sinkholes tend to develop gradually where the covering sediments are permeable and contain sand. In areas where cover material is thicker or sediments contain more clay, cover-subsidence sinkholes are relatively uncommon, are smaller, and may go undetected for long periods.

Sinkholes

Though this one seems to be breaking the "are smaller" descriptor above.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
My apologies to Tetra and everyone else on this thread.

I think we just saw ATS history in the making!

JK JK Phage.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
Mabey the craters on moon were created from the sink hole effect and not from impacts from celestial objects.

Oo Who starred that, no offence man but the moon is a solid ball with no moving parts. At least until it turns into an antenna and beams me home, it's a rock. And with no atmosphere (to speak of, if at all) then it doesn't hinder those pesky morris minor sized torpedos a lot and cops a poppin' on the noggin.

We'd look the same without the atmos the burn them up on entry. Unless you catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, save it for a rainy day.... na.. na.. dahh.. never let it get awayy.... for love may come an na na dah de da.. pocket full of wonder...

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
looks like the one of the underground tunnels the US govenment has all over the States has collapsed

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
The picture linked below is shows an impact crater from an asteroid. This is the explanation given my main stream science.

But is it really from an asteroid it could as easily be a gigantic sink hole.

I believe it is a meteor crater because they have found numerous meteor fragments in the area from the explosion.

This is just north of where I live in Arizona by the way...60 minutes away.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Yes there is, but at a cost, if you know different please let me know.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
No one mentioned this that I saw so I will say it.

If you come across a new sinkhole, do NOT stand on the edges of it like that!
It's dangerous and the edges could collapse at any time.

If you must approach, find the softest grade of slope of rubble from the inside and approach that side of the crater. It's the safer side IMHO.

The side of the crater with the straight cliffs is the part you do not want to walk on. It would fall straight down for quite a distance. And besides climbing out of that hole could take a long time if you didn't get hurt by the fall.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

The Old Ones Cometh

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Just wondering about something....
That area looks so arid & 'desert' like.
Those are yucca plants in the picture but not much else!
I thought Kansas was prairie land.

Is there anyone from Kansas here,
that can confirm that the area really looks like this?

www.kwch.com...

There's one picture here, (# 10), where the person taking it
is standing with a foot on both sides of a crack in the ground!
Yeah....I don't think that is such a good idea either!
Just sayin'!!!

WOQ
edit on 3-8-2013 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Not seen the word 'Fracking' so far in this thread..Shocked..

2nd line

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I just have to say this... they are just rocks!

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

There are a couple of references early in the thread.

I took a look around the area in Google Maps, which is dated 2013, and saw no frack pads.

I did see a lot of farm land, so I would surmise that it is due to aquifer depletion and subsidence.

When taken into consideration with the drought situation I think that makes this more likely than it being fracking related.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

My 5cents ask the government what they digging under there and if you are invited to go live there when the shtf or is it just or the rich and connected?

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Doesn't it make sense that after trillions of gallons of oil, gas, etc. is extracted from below a layer of earth that the vacant space from which it came would have to be (re)filled and would cause bubbles of empty space?

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Alien sand trap..
Time to break out the Callaway wedge.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
So you read stuff and go off and do other things, and sometimes your mind comes back to remembering things that didn't quite set right.
I was thinking ...... what would cause such a proliferation of sinkholes all of a sudden over the last decade or so? You have Israel and the Dead Sea sinkholes hundreds in the US and others in South America of enormous perportions, and no common agent causing them.....so far discovered anyway.

But what if... the 'Flood' was an actual event, and a byproduct was the filling of all the aquifers worldwide, all of them filled to capacity, as the flood was supposed to have lasted for many months. In that time the enormous presure and weight could have penetrated nearly every void in the earth with fissures to the surface or near anyway.
Ok 'spose all the aquifers are full limestone begins its disolving over time, and the rate of decay is pretty much the same worldwide. And suppose were at that juncture in time where all the voids which used to be solid limestone are beginning to collapse. Say it takes on average 3 - 4,000 years to disolve. If the flood story is true, then we are experiancing a natural phenominon. Or... were just experiancing that phenominon ......without the flood by virtue of emptying them with wells and human consumption. Fracking could well contribute in the instability causing the collapses. It certainly can't help 'causing' fissures where there were none before.
edit on 3-8-2013 by Plotus because: spulling

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
If terrorists tested a nuc bomb in a old mine. (or some one)
this is what it looks like on the ground?

I know its only a small possibility, but!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join