It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

massive sinkhole develops in kansas

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by goou111

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Wheres the surface material, ie: the grass?

Im assuming its under all that dirt lol

The surface material should be on top!

This looks like alien activity to me. They're steeling our grass...but what for???

The Aliens are monitoring our conversations. They heard people were smoking grass and having a good time.
Are they in for a surprise, they have to learn a little more about our slang language.

Sometimes over here we call it sh!t I hope there translators are improving

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcx1942
Sinkholes seem to be popping up more and more these days. Maybe it is just because we can gather information faster thanks to the web.

I have seen some photos and videos of sinkholes developing literally right out back in somebody's yard, very close to their house. This one in the op is massive but it looks like nobodies home is in danger, thankfully.

Sinkholes are an interesting phenomenon, makes we wonder about ancient cities through out Earth's history that may have been literally swallowed up by these buggers.

Off to the search engines now to research this phenomenon more....woooosh!

I thought of the spread of information too, but even before the net got popular... I think if somebody died in a sinkhole that swallowed their house... even in the 80s as a child, I imagine I would have heard about it.

I think they are becoming more frequent. Ten years ago when the net was already very popular, this wasn't being reported all the time like this.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
LINK

What is liquefaction? Liquefaction may occur when water-saturated sandy soils are subjected to earthquake ground shaking. When soil liquefies, it loses strength and behaves as a viscous liquid (like quicksand) rather than as a solid. This can cause buildings to sink into the ground or tilt, empty buried tanks to rise to the ground surface, slope failures, nearly level ground to shift laterally tens of feet (lateral spreading), surface subsidence, ground cracking, and sand blows.

Why is liquefaction a concern? Liquefaction has caused significant property damage in many earthquakes around the world, and is a major hazard associated with earthquakes in Utah. The 1934 Hansel Valley and 1962 Cache Valley earthquakes caused liquefaction, and large prehistoric lateral spreads exist at many locations along the Wasatch Front. The valleys of the Wasatch Front are especially vulnerable to liquefaction because of susceptible soils, shallow ground water, and relatively high probability of moderate to large earthquakes.

Where is liquefaction likely to occur? Two conditions must exist for liquefaction to occur: (1) the soil must be susceptible to liquefaction (loose, water-saturated, sandy soil, typically between 0 and 30 feet below the ground surface) and (2) ground shaking must be strong enough to cause susceptible soils to liquefy.

Just a guess. If there is an aquifer nearby underground, and fracking (providing the shaking necessary for the liquefaction) going on, perhaps this is a possibility.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Kansas is not far removed from the New Madrid Fault Line which has a history of liquefaction events all along it, and involving the MS and MO rivers in these areas, and aquifers underground, as well. I will try to find a map of the new madrid pictured......

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Be interesting o see if the sinkhole lies on one of the world energy grid nodal intersection points. The world energy grid was mapped by Bruce Cathie and there is even a software package somewhere to view the grid points.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Kansas is not far removed from the New Madrid Fault Line

Wallace, Kansas is 680 miles from the New Madrid fault.
That's "not far removed"?
edit on 8/2/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
LINK

Accor ding to the state response plan, Kansas ranks 45th among states in the amount of damage caused by earthquakes each year, with the Kansas City, Mo., metropolitan area ranking 35th among 35 major metro areas in the country.

Kansas is bisected by the Humboldt fault zone running from north of Oklahoma City into southern Nebraska. It passes east of Manhattan where the biggest earthquakes ever recorded in occurred. There have been more than 210 earthquakes felt in Kansas since 1867, with the strongest coming in April 1867, when a magnitude 5.5 quake hit near Wamego, causing structural damage in Manhattan and nearby communities.

There is quite a bit of info avaiable about The New Madrid and soil liquefaction events in the 1800s, although Kansas is not directly on this fault, but is bisected by another fault as seen above......

My guess would still be possible fracking and liquefaction, with an aquifer involved, and wet soil very deep, allowing for the quick sink and/or liquefaction.

There is tons of interesting info about this online, but most are gov. geological pdf docs I cannot cut and paste from.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
earth is growing..nice info..

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

How about the one I linked? Did you look at it?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by tetra50

Kansas is not far removed from the New Madrid Fault Line

Wallace, Kansas is 680 miles from the New Madrid fault.
That's "not far removed"?

Yes, it is, in fact, Mr. Phage, if you would see my next post. Being a show me state born and raised person, I think of KS as next door, sorry. However, there is a fault line there, called the Humbolt....see my next post, please.

regardless, your point has nothing to do with mine about possible liquefaction event if indeed there is an underground acquifer and possible fracking. There has been seismic activity along that fault line in the last few years I believe, up into OK....and it was thought to have something to do with fracking. Who knows?

I think I mentioned I was speculating. Didn't I. Sorry if I didn't. I was, am, speculating. You got a better explanation, perhaps?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Maybe you could speculate about the history of sinkholes in the region and their causes. Or you could look it up. Or you could read someone else's posts.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Well um the giant chunk of asteroid in the museum begs to differ on at least that crater.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

yeah, I did, even through my hysterics I managed to read this entire thread before posting or looking for any info about what I thought might have occurred. Your point?

We're not going to do the who is righter thing on Friday night are we? Cause I'm not up to it, frankly. However, I would advise Dorothy and Toto that Kansas might not be as safe as it once was. Just a little attempt at humor, there.....sorry

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

reply to post by tetra50

Maybe you could speculate about the history of sinkholes in the region and their causes. Or you could look it up. Or you could read someone else's posts.

Ummm, I did all three, as evidenced by some sources I linked, just like you. Read the thread, your post IN PARTICULAR, as I am so trying to learn and know you can teach me much, SO I LOOK FOR YOUR POSTS, PHAGE. Even though I spend a lot of effort dealing with my hysteria in between researching.....which means I did a search, and read stuff, too.

Did you read my posts, or do I smell a knee jerk, IT"S HER AGAIN, happening, here?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

reply to post by tetra50

How about the one I linked? Did you look at it?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Did you look at mine? Huh?

I looked at yours, now you have to look at mine.

I am laughing my ass off......thanks for that, anyway.....

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I note the presence of shale from your source, too, Phage, which would support the possible fracking, as it is shale they are busting......when fracking, that is.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
So much for the sinkhole....................onward to the pissing contest!

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
So much for the sinkhole....................onward to the pissing contest!

apologies. it gets old. i will leave. have a good night.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

its the Ogallala Aquifer and theres not much chance of that causing a large sinkhole

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

How arrogant. Anyway its something that we extract trillions of tons of mass from the earth crude oil, coal, etc. to the point of absurdity and people try to explain the increase of sinkholes to more media coverage.

There are people who think in a very dry manner like reading from a phage, those people never blaze trails they observe and follow for lack of imagination.

Then there are those with imaginative thought and may be wrong most of the time. That expanded way of thinking though is where we get new ideas and original thought.

The world is adjusting to what we are ripping out of her and it is going to get a lot more messy in the future.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join