It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

massive sinkhole develops in kansas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Hi

I just saw this pic on twitter of a massive sinkhole the developed in Wallace county ks.
just wanted to share the pic.. wow

I think that's a person in the background

edit on 2-8-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

eta here's a link with some more pics I will post a couple of them
www.kake.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Crazy.

Any working theories on this sinkhole stuff yet?

I'm concerned that this is a permanent problem taking place under the surface of this machine called Earth... not just some geographic phenomenon or regular "earth changes" and all that.

Do you know any more things about the area? What is close to it in..oh say...a 20 mile radius?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Wow!! Just imagine if you were standing there when that happened

I think I'd need a change of underwear LOL

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

All I know is it is near Dodge city ks

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Wheres the surface material, ie: the grass?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Im assuming its under all that dirt lol

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The picture linked below is shows an impact crater from an asteroid. This is the explanation given my main stream science.

But is it really from an asteroid it could as easily be a gigantic sink hole.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Maybe a diabase dike will form there after the magna below melts the sands? I haven't got a clue actually, maybe there is a cavern down beneath. I see no water so I doubt if it is a quickening that started by the energy of water, it has to be getting it's energy from somewhere.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Looks like the opalaka aquifer is giving way. Imho

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Sinkholes seem to be popping up more and more these days. Maybe it is just because we can gather information faster thanks to the web.

I have seen some photos and videos of sinkholes developing literally right out back in somebody's yard, very close to their house. This one in the op is massive but it looks like nobodies home is in danger, thankfully.

Sinkholes are an interesting phenomenon, makes we wonder about ancient cities through out Earth's history that may have been literally swallowed up by these buggers.

Off to the search engines now to research this phenomenon more....woooosh!

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reminds me of

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Mabey the craters on moon were created from the sink hole effect and not from impacts from celestial objects.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

I don't see the ripple effect of an asteroid impact in the surrounding area but if it happened long ago, the ripples may have settled and been blown away. It looks more like a sinkhole to me. Maybe a small impact triggered a sinking phenomenon of some sort, it doesn't have to have originated from only one cause, a synergetic effect could be involved. Just guessing, no evidence to back this possible assumption.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

The surface material should be on top!

This looks like alien activity to me. They're steeling our grass...but what for???

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
That's a bigun.

The news item says it was discovered a week ago. So no indication of how long it's been forming.
Seems that the region sort of does that.

A sudden subsidence which took place near Smoky Hill River about 5 miles east of Sharon Springs on March 9, 1926, attracted nationwide attention. The sinkhole (sec. 33 and 34, T. 13 S., R. 39 W., Wallace County) had a diameter of about 50 feet. By March 11 it had increased in size to about 125 by 250 feet, giving it an irregular elliptical shape (Moore, 1926b). By April 13 its dimensions had increased to 150 by 290 feet, and still later to about 250 feet north-south by 350 feet cast-west. The wall was vertical down to the water level, 165 to 170 feet below the lip. Water was 50 feet deep in the center of the hole. Moore (1926a) estimated the total depth of the sinkhole to be 300 to 350 feet and the amount of material involved to be approximately 1 1/2 million cubic feet. Pierre Shale is exposed in the wall of the sinkhole, and the Niobrara Formation is exposed a short distance east of the area.

www.kgs.ku.edu...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

The surface material should be on top!

This looks like alien activity to me. They're steeling our grass...but what for???

The Aliens are monitoring our conversations. They heard people were smoking grass and having a good time.
Are they in for a surprise, they have to learn a little more about our slang language.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I heard that the sinkhole in Louisiana has grown 20x this year and the media has not reported a peep about it.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I heard that the sinkhole in Louisiana has grown 20x this year and the media has not reported a peep about it.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
More pics here

Wow that thing is massive
www.kwch.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

It kind of justifies the phrase to get the heck outta Dodge.

The first thing that comes to mind is to wonder how much fracking went on underneath. Please keep us posted on updates?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join