It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Control a dead issue for remainder of 2013, Reid indicated today...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
This is as much a surprise to me as to the people who wrote the story at the source on this. I guess the pro-gun control people have Reid to look to for why it's now a dead duck for at least this year. I don't hold out much hope for next, personally. Once these things die like this, getting momentum back to an old issue, already proven to be politically dangerous is like turning back time itself, IMO.

In a meeting Thursday with a pro-gun-control group, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said budget battles looming this fall will make it impossible to enact the background-check measure that failed to pass in April.

“I think sometime next year we’ll revisit that issue. I’m almost certain of it,” Reid (D-Nev.) told the group Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, according to a reporter for The Nation who was allowed to sit in on the meeting.

It seems by this next bit, Congress may finally be realizing that winning an election for political control doesn't make a monopoly or dictatorship to simply ignore the other half of the public and nation.

So what’s the cause of this sudden change of heart?

For starters, the overwhelming lack of support must be troubling anti-gun Democrats, who have started to realize that the 2014 elections are coming sooner rather than later. To make matters worse, state legislators have lost seats in Connecticut and two more senators will be recalled in Colorado—two places that have enacted the strictest gun control laws.
Source

Indeed..If they push this next year? Well.... It won't bode better for them than it does right now. Worse, perhaps, as the Presidency for 2016 will be the priority before anyone knows what happened. That old election cycle starts earlier and earlier each time, it seems.

Anyway, I suppose that means prices and availability in the firearms market should start a correction to sane levels? No? Well.. We can hope, anyway. Right?

* Original Story Source: Gun control efforts set back as Senate Democrats abandon background check measure

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Just means that they can't get anything through this year, are trying to provide a lull in the battle, and will just ramp back up for the attack on the 2nd Amendment.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Well with mid-term elections next year, I guess they have decided to put gun control on hold for fear of losing seats in congrss over it.

Rest assured if the Dems come out good on teh 2014 elections our 2nd amedment rights will be the victims of a guncontrol witch hunt once again.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'm sure you are both entirely correct about seeing them come back with a vengeance, particularly if 2014 goes their way to recapture all 3 sections of elected Government for his remaining two years. Until then though? Heck.. It's good news.

As that annoying saying of a past time went? Don't worry, be happy! (At least on this topic, for the period we've been given for a breather. We'll all be well rested for the fight ahead, when it comes)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I always enjoy seeing politicians failing and having to backpedal or fold on an issue. There is something particularly tasty about this one for me because of the way they attempted to shamelessly exploit a tragic event in their attempts to further there own extreme liberal agenda. A bitter pill for them, ambrosia for me.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Seems there isn't enough violence that warrants the Government and President from getting involved personally.

Thanks for the warning Reid.................

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Methinks the dems had a "misfire" of sorts.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I think this is the part of the match where the contestants go sit down a bit,
put a towel around their necks and drink orange juice as fast as possible.

Next set, more bundlers leaning toward totalitarianism will be enlisted, total
control of the population is always a good investment when financing a
candidate. But I really hate it when they keep trying to enslave us with our
own stolen taxes.

As far as Harry Reid ever giving up on something as important as imperial
control... they'll all be back and serving frozen rope after the 2014's.
I would imagine another relatively small but poignant tragedy as well

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Gun Control a dead issue until Holder comes clean on Fast and Furious.

latino.foxnews.com...
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Good to see, though no surprise. They lost that round of the war badly, even when they had some of the most intense media sensationalism in years focused on it.

It's hardly the end though. We'll see it brought up again, and again, and again. They won't stop until they win in disarming law abiding citizens. At this point they'll just have to wait until another whacko targets a vulnerable location and then they can use it to catalyse another thing.

Firearms are already far more available now then a few months ago, but ammunition remains the holdback. And unfortunately, that's not something we can blame the government on as easily. The continued panic buying and the cycle it creates afterwards is going to keep rolling for a while.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Buy ammo in bulk guys. 1000 rounds at a time should run you only 300$-500$ of the more popular stuff. Most of you well off professionals spend that in a month on entertainment (cable, internet, phone) and eating out. But you have to make the purchases online. Can still be done with money orders if you don't want CC info out there. This is the rejuvenation period though. If you wait till next years elections you be # out o luck once more. Prices will double again and even the online bulk deals will become scarce. Stock up now while the climate is calm and collected.

I think enough of the country knows now that the Dems are the front man of the internationalists to disarm our people. The republicans may be working for the rich people too, but they are working for the "American" rich people. That is what is important here. Anyone one who can read between the lines has also seen the internationalist propaganda in the latest big budget movies as well. You have to observe the movies as the messages they convey and not the flashy entertainment they want you to see to understand what I mean, and many here do.

So take this quiet before the storm as an opportunity to re-supply. Come next year it will be the lying American rich folk vs the lying quick talking internationalists once again. Having been fooled by the internationalists before, I choose America. Stand by your country, and vote either republican, libertarian, or even green party. Just do not vote democrat, they now work for the old powers across the ocean. if you don't believe me, just take a look at how many policies have been enacted to make this country more like a European #fest.
I prefer the America I grew up in, not the sissified, lets hold hands and be gay, take my guns and my freedom, anti family bull# future the internationalists are trying hard to brainwash people into submitting to.

Propoganda isn't a poster, 30 second commercial or ad in a magazine or newspaper. It is the sit-coms, dramas, reality tv and movies you watch everyday. That is propaganda. Anyone who can see it objectively can see a growing trend in what is being promoted more frequently.

Anyways like I said, re-stock now, the battle continue next year.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Buy ammo in bulk guys. 1000 rounds at a time should run you only 300$-500$ of the more popular stuff. Most of you well off professionals spend that in a month on entertainment (cable, internet, phone) and eating out. But you have to make the purchases online. Can still be done with money orders if you don't want CC info out there. This is the rejuvenation period though. If you wait till next years elections you be # out o luck once more. Prices will double again and even the online bulk deals will become scarce. Stock up now while the climate is calm and collected.

I think enough of the country knows now that the Dems are the front man of the internationalists to disarm our people. The republicans may be working for the rich people too, but they are working for the "American" rich people. That is what is important here. Anyone one who can read between the lines has also seen the internationalist propaganda in the latest big budget movies as well. You have to observe the movies as the messages they convey and not the flashy entertainment they want you to see to understand what I mean, and many here do.

So take this quiet before the storm as an opportunity to re-supply. Come next year it will be the lying American rich folk vs the lying quick talking internationalists once again. Having been fooled by the internationalists before, I choose America. Stand by your country, and vote either republican, libertarian, or even green party. Just do not vote democrat, they now work for the old powers across the ocean. if you don't believe me, just take a look at how many policies have been enacted to make this country more like a European #fest.
I prefer the America I grew up in, not the sissified, lets hold hands and be gay, take my guns and my freedom, anti family bull# future the internationalists are trying hard to brainwash people into submitting to.

Propoganda isn't a poster, 30 second commercial or ad in a magazine or newspaper. It is the sit-coms, dramas, reality tv and movies you watch everyday. That is propaganda. Anyone who can see it objectively can see a growing trend in what is being promoted more frequently.

Anyways like I said, re-stock now, the battle continue next year.

This is very good advice. The writing is on the wall regarding this battle: they are simply waiting out the election to put this issue back on the table.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Wish I could buy in bulk over the internet that cheap.

Living in Alaska means adding a solid $100-200 onto the price, making it pretty much more expensive then scrounging locally.

Fortunately I had bought bulk in my EDC handgun rounds, as well has having bulk of 5.56, plus the means to reload, and I've been reloading my 30-06 and .308 forever, so I'm not too worried about those. And I don't exactly run through tons of .460 S&W Mag, so not too worried about running low on them haha.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join