It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad Boy Bubby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Must see movie for several reasons.

1) It is nothing like any other film you have ever seen.
2) It proves art is not flowers and ponies and rainbows. Brutally set and executed, the film transforms and makes one question love, life and happiness and how we see each other.
3) One of the best love/relationships ever seen on celluloid.
4) Originality and execution.

Bubby is a 35-year-old man who has never set foot outside his mother's dingy apartment in the back of a printing press in an industrial area of Adelaide. In addition to beating and sexually abusing him, she confines him to the apartment, telling him that the air outside is poisonous and telling him he will die if he tries to leave. Bubby eventually escapes, joins up with a rock band, and embarks on a journey of self-discovery and shocking mayhem.

Bubby won four 1994 Australian Film Institute awards: Best Director (Rolf de Heer), Best Actor in a Leading Role (Nicholas Hope), Best Original Screenplay (Rolf de Heer), and Best Editing (Suresh Ayyar). It was also nominated for Best Film (Rolf de Heer) and Best Cinematography (Ian Jones).

Bubby info

I like this guys review:

If someone told me that I would end up nearly sobbing with joy over a movie whose first act consists almost entirely of extended and graphic scenes of incest, mental and physical torture against the mentally handicapped, and extremely authentic-looking acts of feline cruelty, I'd have said you must have the wrong guy. I don't like being grossed out, and to go in blind to a movie that, according to most teaser summaries, was promoted for its depravity is something I usually like to leave to the stronger-willed. Two hours later, with cheeks still drying, I can tell you: I am that guy.

Somewhere beneath all the # and the dirt and the ignorance and the hate, Bad Boy Bubby is a story with a message (potentially demeaning in less skilled hands) that even the most unlovely people can love and be loved. Even those that might not be understood by society can understand. The human garbage and wreckage that is tossed by the wayside is no different than the garbage that stays on the table just because they're nice to look at, or drive expensive cars, or preach empty messages louder than most. Bubby is proxy for all the unfortunates who are judged, for superficial reasons, to be unimportant or expendable. He's also an example that not all those who are lost can never be found again. A dirty, crude inspiration, but an inspiration all the same, just as those who see him for more than a dirty, stupid loser.

bubby review

I could not believe the twists and turns in this difficult but ultimately gratifying movie. Great film. You need to understand, the terror is replaced with amazing hope, love and unique story lines. Incredible really.

This trailer cannot in any way begin to explain the insanity that is Bad Boy Bubby.

ColoradoJens

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
This movie was made in my home town.

It's awesome lol

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Mmmkay. Check yo' selves ATS BTS community. The Bub is not going anywhere so rebound it when its good.

Prior to happiness, mostly.

CJ

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

Awesome you would reply! Thank you. This movie is hilarious.

CJ

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

No one even has a passing interest? Bummer. This one is a gem.

CJ

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I've met Nicholas Hope. Lovely guy. He smiled and I saw Bad Boy Bubby looking at me, which creeped me out.

Some scenes seem kinda gimmicky to me. You know the ones I mean...
. The music and the scene in the church with the scientist are amazing.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
when i watched this a few years ago ... i was in shock

You see, no one's going to help YOU ! Because there isn't anybody out there to do it. No one. We're all just complicated arrangements of atoms and subatomic particles - we don't live. But our atoms do move about in such a way as to give us identity and consciousness. We don't die; our atoms just rearrange themselves. There is no God. There can be no God; it's ridiculous to think in terms of a superior being. An inferior being, maybe, because we, we who don't even exist, we arrange our lives with more order and harmony than God ever arranged the earth. We measure; we plot; we create wonderful new things. We are the architects of our own existence. What a lunatic concept to bow down before a God who slaughters millions of innocent children, slowly and agonizingly starves them to death, beats them, tortures them, rejects them. What folly to even think that we should not insult such a God, damn him, think him out of existence. It is our duty to think God out of existence. It is our duty to insult him. **** you, God! Strike me down if you dare, you tyrant, you non-existent fraud! It is the duty of all human beings to think God out of existence. Then we have a future. Because then - and only then - do we take full responsibility for who we are. And that's what you must do, YOU : think God out of existence; take responsibility for who you are.

new topics

top topics

join