It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five scary charts and facts about who’s working and not working in this economy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

At this point, even Ezra Klein is conceding that the “recovery” growth rate of 1.7 percent is a “horrific” new normal, so I can be accused of no partisan quest driving me to point out these depressing facts about our current economy, but a desire that we harness the good sense to abandon what’s not working and get the heck out of this mess.

Source

That is pretty damning with just one chart.

People really do need to pay attention here as the workforce participation decline's as well as the surge of part timers which means that is a massive revenue loss that is already funding government programs that are 'must have'.

It also means more people will be using government programs 'to get by' where no cash exists to pay for it.

Mr and Mrs America?

We are screwed if something doesn't change and real jobs start getting created full time jobs not increasing the wages for 'part time' work that will have the effect of more people out of work because business cuts cost anyway they can.

The number of men 20 and older who are not in the workforce is now 30 million ?

All sourced follow the highlighted blue words.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Thank you for the unique information. One thing that I have been curious about for years, is how is technology affecting employment rates. My curiosity for this comes from my professional experience in IT. There are a lot of products on the market that are designed to replace humans with computers, and I wonder how this affects employment rates. Especially considering that my role at a few companies has been to setup software that replaces workers.

One thing that is definitely on the rise is replacing workers with robots. Kiva and Baxtor systems will provide a robot for less then the cost of paying a human for a year and their benefits.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
If they don't pass the immigration reform/amnesty, that would open up millions of jobs right there. With millions of unemployed people, they would have to create a hell of a lot of jobs.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Evil_Santa

One thing that I have been curious about for years, is how is technology affecting employment rates.

It's a bit like a new industrial revolution, eh? The IT revolution. What we learned from the industrial revolution is that what it meant to "make a living" changed rapidly for tons of people and that the state could not accommodate them. People, en masse, became useless and undesirable to their countries

edit on 2-8-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

See - I just don't get how the unemployment rate is still this high. I have no issues finding employment, and have switched jobs 3 times since 2008. Each time I put in pretty minimal effort to find gainful employment, and had a position within 1 - 2 interviews.

Here's an example, I'm between companies right now, and I've sent out maybe 5 resumes in the last month. Last week I had 1 interview and will go back next week for the 2nd interview.

I have a GED. That's it.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Well, there is funemployment. The six month limitation isn't there anymore.
jobsearch.about.com...

The legislation will extend the federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program through 2013. This means that unemployment compensation will continue for unemployed workers who are currently collecting federal jobless benefits. Unemployed workers who run out of state benefits during 2013 will now be eligible for benefit extensions, as well.

I know that not everyone is taking advantage. But there is no doubt a significant element who is.

edit on 8/2/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I look at it this way need a job to get money, need people buying stuff for the need of robots/technology can't have one without the other IMO.

The problem has always been figuring out a balance.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If that's true then it's all going according to plan.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

It is absolutely the Information revolution that's happening. Ray Kurzweil's predictions are pretty accurate, and by 2050 there really won't be jobs left for humans.

But you are right that there are a lot of people who don't have the computer skills necessary to function in today's job market. I live in a duplex and the homeowner is a 60 year old guy who can't get a job because of his lack of computer abilities. Even the contracted lawn care he's doing, he has to email documents for every house he's at to the bank, and he has almost been fired because of problems doing that simple function.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
reply to post by neo96

If that's true then it's all going according to plan.

If that plan is Cloward and Piven then I would agree.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

I look at it this way need a job to get money, need people buying stuff for the need of robots/technology can't have one without the other IMO.

The problem has always been figuring out a balance.

Not 100% sure what you're trying to say other then there's an economy and that technology advancements are driven off of it...
edit on 2-8-2013 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

What I am saying is there has always been a technological progression constant to economic output/prosperity.

America was king of the hill when other countries were dirt poor now that other countries are coming in to their own that takes wealth away from here and that is primarily thanks to globalist ideology and crappy politicians.

Make sense?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Here,
my version of the whole picture.

Copyrights matter to the working class.
The idea that someday they could write a story,
or create a character that was worth money kept
a lot of people plodding away at their regular jobs.

The Supreme Court decided that people don't matter
after they took a ton of money from Disney and extended
their copyright on the famous mouse. Again. Not allowing
it to pass into the public domain. Like it should have.

Just at the moment when the elders in our country could have made their own Mickey Mouse videos
to share with the younger generations.

Economic justice matters to the working class.
After being repeatedly pistol whipped by tiny print,
hidden fees, and creeping service loss to automated banking,
the banks went bust.

All of a sudden the rules that had grinded so many down out of the
middle class, they didn't matter any more, and a bailout was passed
all at the cost of the taxpayers. That same working class.

And pundits on TV say people aren't paying attention.

So you tell me.

Is it any mystery
no one is buying the lie anymore?

Mike

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evil_Santa
reply to post by Night Star

See - I just don't get how the unemployment rate is still this high. I have no issues finding employment, and have switched jobs 3 times since 2008. Each time I put in pretty minimal effort to find gainful employment, and had a position within 1 - 2 interviews.

Here's an example, I'm between companies right now, and I've sent out maybe 5 resumes in the last month. Last week I had 1 interview and will go back next week for the 2nd interview.

I have a GED. That's it.

I'm sure there are places where there are still jobs available, but in many areas there are too many applicants per job and people can't afford to move to where the available jobs are. Too many of our jobs have been outsourced to other contries over the years. Too many jobs are too high tech for the older generation who still needs to work. Too many jobs have been taken by illegal immigrants. Too many employers are only offering part time etc.It is ceratinly a combination of things and it is sad to see so many suffering, struggling individuals who want to work but can't.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Hey Neo, I have a question since it came up in the thread? Those unemployment extensions.... I've been hearing them granted again and again and, yes, yet again for a number of years now.

Do you or anyone else here know if those are unbroken and continuous extensions? I.E. are there honestly people who are drawing unemployment today that started on it years ago? It seems that way by the endless extensions and it brings an interesting question there to. What is this doing to the unemployment costs levied upon business to support the funds paying those long term claims? It's got to be getting brutal with unemployment shifting from a short term, strictly temporary assistance program to one that appears the superior in almost all ways to outright welfare at the moment?

* For the record, I've been unemployed over 2 years. Didn't qualify because I quit before I killed someone as a result of medical disqualification from trucking. Funny thing? They told me outright ...if I'd stayed and just let nature take it's course until someone got hurt or killed? They would have granted me my application. (sigh) Now make sense of that.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Do you or anyone else here know if those are unbroken and continuous extensions?
Yes.

I.E. are there honestly people who are drawing unemployment today that started on it years ago?
Yes.

What is this doing to the unemployment costs levied upon business to support the funds paying those long term claims?
Through the roof.
edit on 8/2/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Hate To Say It, But If Companies Don't Start Paying People Better, We May Need Unions via businessinsider.com

...we've developed inequality so extreme that it is worse than any time since the late 1920s.

Technology has been making some jobs obsolete for 200+ years now, but it is only recently that corporate profit margins have gone through the roof. Just because you can pay full-time employees so little that they're below the poverty line doesn't mean you should--especially when retention is often a problem and your profit margin is extraordinarily high.

Enabling stong unions enables a strong middle class and a strong economy.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Hate to say it but if people don't start paying attention to current events and think they 'deserve' to get paid 50 bucks an hour for flipping burgers, and pushing a broom, and sitting on their butts pressing the enter key?

They are part of the problem.

All jobs are not created equal they never have been, and as such do not 'deserve' the same pay or benefits as some 'fat cat' CEO.

Thems the breaks.
edit on 2-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Enabling stong unions enables a strong middle class and a strong economy.

Err... Just don't say a thing like that around one of the most powerful Union centers in the nation. Detroit and Michigan as a whole kinda got dumped off your highway of strong middle class or a barely functional economy.

Seems that 'Unionize Everything' concept really fell flat as a pancake in that city and state as a whole.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
What needs to happen is all imports are taxed so that what is made in this country cost the same as anything a corp. makes in another country. when it is cheaper to make something somewhere it will be made somewhere else. that would fix a lot of problems with employment. What I am trying to say is this country at some point let companies make things cheaper in other countries. We should have taxed the hell out of anything not made in this country.

edit on 8/2/2013 by catt3 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join