It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little girl named "Valerie"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This is my first thread on ATS, so bear with me.... I have somewhat of a "Ghost Adventure" that I'd like to share.

Has anyone ever heard of the Hillcrest Sanitorium in Howell, MI? Its also referred to as Michigan State Sanitorium. It was a hospital that opened in the very early 1900's for the treatment of tuberculosis. later, it was expanded and designed to also house the mentally disabled. Yes, whether it was bipolar disorder, or an actually disability, this was a place where people were left by their families so they would no longer be a "burden." It was eventually closed in the 1980's and later the structure itself was torn down. Currently, the land is being developed (houses, maybe a small subdivision), so its nothing more than woods and a small clearing at this point.

Anyway, my wife and I have always wanted to go ghost hunting, and our neighbors do it all the time, so they offered to take us up to this Sanitorium (I'd never even heard of it before then). We head up there around midnight, and stay for about 2 hours. While we were there, we heard laughing coming from the woods, and my wife thought that she saw a couple quick flashes of a girl in white. Upon arriving back home and listening to my recorder, Im broke so all i had was my cellphone, we discovered that we had recorded a young girls voice saying "who's there", and a very loud, raspy male voice saying " Right here...... NOW!"

After listening to that, we decided to go online and see what other people have heard/seen when visiting that place. After research, to our knowledge, we are the ONLY people to have ever recorded a male voice. other people have seen the girl in white, but nothing anywhere about any male "entities". Needless to say, that inspired us to go again.

On our second visit, we didnt catch a single thing on our recorder, however, we saw the girl. Plain as day, and scary. Not that it was a terrifying sight, it was just the fact that she was there. More of a surprise, than anything else. At first, I thought it was an actual person, so i pulled a knife out and started making threats. But it was her. So we ran. We ran like our lives depended on it. After we got back home, one of our neighbors we were with kept saying the name "Valerie", over and over. He said that name popped in his head and kept repeating. He then proceeded to throw up, and finally snap out of it. A couple days later, our curiosity got the best of us, so we went a third time. Bad idea.

This time, we went a friend of our neighbors, who claimed that she could see spirits and communicate with them and whatnot. Yeah. I know what youre thinking, i thought the same thing.

So this time, we go to a different area in the woods, a big clearing, where several different trails converge. we sat for a while in a circle, calling out to Valerie. (everything considered, we assumed it was the name of the girl) and there, we saw her. The little girl in white. This is where things go a little off the deepend, and if I wasnt there, i wouldnt have believed any of what happened next.

I apologized for pulling out a knife and threatening her he last time we were there, and in a way, i wish i never said anything. I closed my eyes to itch them (bad allergies) and i had the equivalent of a lucid dream/ nightmare, which lasted all of 5 seconds. I saw myself going down a hallway, in a wheelchair, or a bed, or something, and i was tied down. I knew something terrible was going to happen, and i kept screaming "No, please dont! I dont want to! Please stop, Im scared!" and every time i screamed, it was a young girl's voice, not mine. After that, i was in a room, looking into a doorway, where a man stood. i could make out his face, but not clearly what he was saying. I opened my eyes, and i was sitting in our circle in the clearing, and i was crying. This terrified my wife, because in the years we have been together, she has only seen my cry once. This, being the second time. A few minutes later, the "spirit seer" friend of ours, claimed there was a tall dark man standing behind "Valerie" in the clearing. Very tall, very dark, and very scary. at this time, we decided to leave. While we were exiting the area going back to our truck, we saw flashes of "Valerie" at different points, almost as if she was following us, seeing us on our way, so to speak. We got home, and listened to our recorder. we heard a girl crying. followed by 6 low growls, which were extremely unsettling. I told our friend that went with us what happened to me, and she went online. after some time, she came accross an old photo album from the sanitorium, dated from the late 1930's. She asked me if i could describe the man that i saw in my.... "episode". I described him several times before she turned her laptop around, and showed me a picture that she found. It was a picture of a doctor, who i described down to the T, performing an ice-pick lobotomy on a patient at the sanitorium in 1938. With that I went to bed, and had nightmares for 2 weeks.

In those 2 weeks, our neighbor and her "spirit seer" friend went to those woods nearly every single night. What had started as curiosity, had practically become an obsession. They came back one night, and claimed to have seen the tall, dark shadow up close, and that it was a demon, and that there was more than one demon there, possibly keeping the spirit of "Valerie" there against her/its will. They said it had "dagger fingers" and horns and all that, to which i though they were a sandwich short of a full picnic basket and needed medication. I thought it was so funny, i made an Autotune song about the demons being everywhere, Its actually quite funny. We heard so much day after day about all the friggin "demons" that were there, my wife, our younger neighbor, and I, all decided to go. One last time. Just to see for ourselves that the other 2 were crazy. (in case youre wondering, i live in an apartment, have immediate neighbors, and were all good friends, its like a little community

So, the 3 of us show up there at 1 am. We went in the woods to the top of a hill, where have a good view of the area, and which is also where we would usually see "Valerie" She was always there, she was never really scary, we kinda looked forward to seeing her whenever we would go there. So there we stood, looking for her. Instead, we saw something else. Something terrifying.
We thought we saw some light flicker of to the right of us, so we looked, and what we saw, at first we thought was something being built. It was 7 black figures, with one at one end standing twice as high as the other six. These figures didnt move, and we watched them for several minutes. My wife then thought she saw something in another direction, so we looked away for 10 seconds, realized nothing was there, and went to look back at the figures, and they were gone. Keep in mind, there was a full moon, so the lighting was pretty decent. We were so scared, we instantly turned and started running. When we were halfway to the car, i turned around because our neighbor was behind us. What I saw behind him, I will never forget. It was at least 8 feet tall, slender, and was NOT there when we initially walked up the hill. I went for a full on sprint to the car. once we got to it and were getting inside, i flashed my flashlight towards the hill where i saw the figure, and it was gone. nowhere to be seen.

continued below

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
We jumped in the car, and i peeled out getting away from that place. Once we got home, you guessed it, we listened to the recorder. We heard a low growl while we were on the hill, and several snarls, whispers and growls while we were all standing at the car getting ready to leave, that were so incredibly loud, whatever it was had to have been standing next to us. It was then, we realized that the two girls we went with before, that claimed to have seen demons there, MAY NOT have been as crazy as i originally thought...

i know i sound crazy. I sound crazy even to myself as im typing this. I dont know if you'll believe me, but honestly...... I would understand. If someone told me this story, id hand them the number to the closest institution and say "good luck".

But for those of you that do believe me, has anyone had any similar experiences with shadow spirits, or demons, or whatever the hell those things were? This whole experience has frightened me to the point that im NEVER going back, you couldnt pay me to. Has anyone experienced anything like that? Has anyone ever been to Hillcrest Sanitorium in Howell Michigan? I never believed in demons or anything, it was always "it's not there unless i can see it with my own eyes." Well, i've seen it. Now i just want to make sure im not crazy.....

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Wow, what an incredible story, wish I was there with you to see it all. I just have a couple of requests. If you have some time, could you PLEASE upload the recordings you got during your adventures? I would love to hear them for myself. Also, it would be pretty awesome if you could link us to a picture of the doctor.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Pistoche

give me sec, i think i can post a link to the picture, but the audio files are on my phone, so id have to transfer them to my computer and upload em from there. It'll take a while, but if i can, (and figure out how to upload the audio) Ill do it. Its deffinetely something that will give you goosebumps

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dothedew

I have heard of this and live around Toledo and have thought of taking a jaunt up there. I may crap my pants, but it would be worth the price of a pair of jeans if I could experience something

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Here is the link to the website with the photoalbum downloaded onto it. i dont know if the link will work, you may have to copy and paste into the browser

www.memoriallibrary.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mymymy

If you did, youd have to do it quick. The construction crew is on a time schedule to build some houses there. But its definately creepy. I honestly believe that us going there as often as we did, and attempting to form a bond with this "Valerie" has really pissed something off. Between us going there, and the construction going on, i think something got woken up that didnt neccessarily want to be disturbed

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

That's sad, I have been thinking about this (read procrastinating) for a couple of years now, then I find this thread and find it'll be gone here shortly

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mymymy

Sad, but true. They already have 2 homes almost halfway built there. I feel bad for the people that buy those houses... There is a backway to get in, going in through the service drive of a water treatment center. i believe that theyre leaving that area alone, and theres a trail that leads right up to the hill we were at. im sure that will still be there after construction is completed

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

That was a great story!

Did you try to take any pictures while you were doing all of this? and if not, why not?
Especially with a cell phone.

A thought though.

If what you were seeing was the doctor, then he is not a demon, just a lost soul who keeps himself there out of fear of where he might end up going.Probably holds the little girl there too, unless it /she is residual.

Very cool and creepy story though!

s&f

This time, we went a friend of our neighbors, who claimed that she could see spirits and communicate with them and whatnot. Yeah. I know what youre thinking, i thought the same thing.

A lot more people can do it than people realize

edit on 2-8-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

See, thats what i keep thinking. Our neighbors said they were demons with claws and stuff. All i saw was something extremely tall, thin, and dark, and above all, terrifying. I believe its him. If you think of the things that doctors were doing to "cure" people in that time period, they may have very well been their own form of "evil". That, is what i believe may have turned him into a dark figure. Our 2 neighbors said it was a demon, with furry legs, horns, and long sharp claws and cat-like eyes. I know that your mind can play tricks in the dark, and i personally think they saw too many scary movies, because that sounds like something straight out of a horror flick.

As far as pictures go, we tried. The problem, was that the area was mostly dirt trails and bulldozed ground. every picture that we took, was contaminated with dust and dirt being kicked up whenever we moved. We did get some killer pictures of moths attacking a flashlight though. I was a little let down though. I wouldve loved to catch something on camera

another thing, i dont think it was residual. With the way the girl followed us out and watched us the one night, and the sounds we heard, and what i saw the last time we went, it seemed pretty darn intelligent. The last batch of growls and snarls i recorded when we were getting in the car, happened right after i stated out loud "we are safe in the car". It almost seemed like a challenge, or a laugh in my face.
edit on 2-8-2013 by dothedew because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

From what I understand/experience, spirits can project images into a persons mind.
This doctor may very well have been projecting these images into your friends mind in order to hide his true identity and try to scare her off.

It is just a thought.

To bad with the pictures and the fact that the place is being leveled.
Spirit activity would most certainly pick up during an event like this on the grounds.
I wonder if they stay or go after that?

I once lived in a very haunted building that is now a parking lot. I always wondered if I went and stood there, if there would be lost souls standing there as well wondering where their building went.

another thing, i dont think it was residual. With the way the girl followed us out and watched us the one night, and the sounds we heard, and what i saw the last time we went, it seemed pretty darn intelligent. The last batch of growls and snarls i recorded when we were getting in the car, happened right after i stated out loud "we are safe in the car". It almost seemed like a challenge, or a laugh in my face.

Well a spirit can't normally hurt anyone, so I think you are pretty safe, although they can follow.
Does sound intelligent, I agree.

Also sounds like scare tactics to keep you away.
edit on 2-8-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

If those were scare tactics, they worked! From what we experienced there, the girl seemed pretty nice. Curious, and nice. Whatever that dark thing was, really seemed to want us to go. At this point, I have no problem staying far far away....

and with the parking lot, im pretty sure if there was something there before, it would still be there now. Whatever we experienced up there is left over from when the hospital was still standing, and it was demolished in the late 90's i believe, mostly due to injuries from other ghost chasers falling through rotted out floors.

and a side note: if you were a disgruntled spirit and stayed in the presence of the "spirit seer" for more than 5 minutes, you too would do EVERYTHING in your power to get her away from you

edit on 2-8-2013 by dothedew because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

This is my first thread on ATS, so bear with me.... I have somewhat of a "Ghost Adventure" that I'd like to share.

You certainly came on board with a loud BOOM! What a totally awesome story!!

I have a paranormal thread (see my signature) that has been running for over a year with many, many experiences being shared, and I must say, yours is right up there with the best of them!

As Darkblade stated, spirits can appear to us as any shape they choose to try to scare us, or appear as something nice. So, the demon the psychic thought she saw could have "been under the influence" of the evil man.

My question is, What were all those other "things" you said that was lined up?

And another thing... you heard growls every time you went. Growling IS a sign of demonic presence, so I believe there are demons there holding this little Valerie from being able to cross over.
This makes me sad.

I hope the angels will come rescue her soon. Or, if we have any volunteers here on ATS that could go run the demons off, and free the girl, that would be fantastic!

Any takers?

Thanks for sharing your story with us, OP!! S&F, for sure!

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dothedew
reply to post by Pistoche

give me sec, i think i can post a link to the picture, but the audio files are on my phone, so id have to transfer them to my computer and upload em from there. It'll take a while, but if i can, (and figure out how to upload the audio) Ill do it. Its deffinetely something that will give you goosebumps

If you have a smart phone, you should be able to text the sound file to your email address. If you start a new text and where it says recipient just put in your email address and then attach the sound file.

Awesome story though, I have never heard of that place. I had a lost Great Aunt in an asylum in Michigan I think it was, Not sure exactly where but we did not find out she existed until last year.
edit on 3-8-2013 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
That story is a mind-blower! The creepy slender figure intrigues me. 'Stickman' and 'slenderman' sightings are scary, but they fascinate me.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I especially loved the bit where the OP pulled a knife out on a ghost and started threatening it.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Excellent story OP, thanks for sharing.

I am from Michigan myself and have never heard of this place, but will now look into it for sure.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I did a google search to see if I could find other stories about this place and found quite a few.

This one has some good photos in a short slide show that are somewhat disturbing...

Hillcrest Slideshow

Also found this:

So I read the story about Hillcrest in Howell. I’ve lived here my entire 21 years I’ve been alive. My grandfather owns the property that the homes are built on and that entails the former TB center. I have been going here for many years and I consider myself an almost tour guide up to the property where only the foundation stands. I enjoy taking people up to the top where along the way, yes people get sick, experience headaches, get cut, scratched and there are multiple full body apparitions and what seem to be apparitions that will mirror your exact movement but appear to be shadows that walk at least 30 feet from you, so your own shadow is out of the question.

The trail is also frequented by a young girl dressed in white, longer black hair and what seems to have white eyes that will follow you, mimic you and or even talk to you. For some time now, it has been getting harder and harder to make it up the hill without something almost terrifying happening and having to leave. It’s almost as if something is keeping us from the top. When we arrive and start getting to the tree line, the trees around you start moving and creaking. You will start to hear what seems to be cackling, full body apparitions will start to appear half way up the hill and the creaking moves closer and the cackling gets louder. To me and with the research I have done, there almost seems to be elementals or some sort of Indian spirits. Then as you reach the half way point, a fear rises as the apparitions start to get closer and the only feeling you have is RUN!! I’ve never had to before but this seems to be getting worse every time and me and the people I bring can’t seem to make it any further. Well, just thought I would fill you in with what I have experienced and maybe give more insight on the legend.

Source

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Seriously, I dont think you are cut out for this Ghost Hunting Lark...Pulling a Knife out on a Ghost...what a big girls Bottom!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join