It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German Boy Finds Mummy in Attic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Last week 10-year-old Alexander Kettler was playing in the attic of his grandmother's house in the northern German state of Lower Saxony when he came upon three mysterious cases in a cluttered corner. Neither his grandmother nor his father, a local dentist named Lutz Wolfgang Kettler, knew what was inside. So they hauled the dust-covered cases out of the attic, pried them open and peered inside with amazement. "There was a huge sarcophagus and inside a mummy," said Lutz Wolfgang Kettler. "Then we opened the other cases and found an earthenware Egyptian death mask and a Canopic Jar," he added, referring to a container in which the ancient Egyptians kept the entrails of the deceased who had been mummified. As to the question of how the 1.6-meter (5.2-foot) mummy could have gotten to the small town of Diepholz, Kettler can only speculate. His father, who passed away 12 years ago, went traveling through North Africa in the 1950s, but spoke very little of his travels. "He was of the older generation who experienced a lot in the war and didn't really talk about anything. I do seem to remember him mentioning having been to the city of Derna in Libya," says Kettler. Had Kettler's father purchased the sarcophagus on his trip, it would have been possible for him to ship it to Diepholz via Bremerhaven.

original txt

As the full article mentioned egyptomania was century earlier so more likely these items were not used in mummy parties. Makes me wonder to what purpose mummy was achieved, collector? Or is the Third Reich behind the scene.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Im in no way an expert in these matters but that mummy doesnt look all that authentic to me. I wonder if its real or fake?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I thought it was going to be his real mummy, some what found in a compromising
position.. nvm

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
That would freak me out....I love the coffin decorations.Seems to perfectly wrapped to me.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The hieroglyphics should give it away really , I`m going to say these are props ...... they were in an attic so I very much doubt they`re that old .

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka
Makes me wonder to what purpose mummy was achieved, collector? Or is the Third Reich behind the scene.

Sounds like we should call in Dr Jones.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Probably just a reproduction.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
My guess is an old Halloween prop, maybe used in a haunted house.

I seriously doubt some ancient mummified Egyptian has just been stashed away in somebody's attic next to boxes of Christmas decorations and old sweaters.

edit on 8/2/2013 by mcx1942 because: lack of coffee

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
wow

iv only read your intro and looked at the pictures... and i had to say something

i love these stories...

the mummy looks recent.... the crossed arms indicate a royal,,,, but here they look "less" crossed than the real kings.

now im off to read the story

thanks op

peace

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I am going to cry fake. The way the sarcophagus and mask are made screams movie reproduction.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I was going to say the same, it seems too well preserved and the painting inside the sarcophagi looks relatively new, Is that a human body and if so then would the Polizei not be more appropriate to the investigation.
The mask look's like a cheap imitation of king Tut's mask.
The bandages show no aging other than there colour and the sarcophagi looks all wrong with the material lining being more like a modern casket.

Great find though and worthy a S+F.
Now there are some respectable opinionated Archaeologist on here such as Harte so lets see what they make of it but my gut feeling as a non-archaeologist whom was interested in Egyptology for a while is that this is a fake but I am worried over the body.
During the 1800's though Egyptian style burials were not unheard of and some rich people even had there body's mummified (though there technique was no where near as good as the Egyptian's).
Here is one in my Home city of Liverpool that has a ghost story attached as many people have seen a tall figure in black tail's with a gaunt appearance and hollow eyes, he has been reported to be seen walking through the wall.
www.impworks.co.uk...
The sad state of the church in which this tomb is located is a sad testimony to the corruption of Liverpool council and there lack of care for there historic landmarks as this church is arguably of very important historic value and not because of the odd tomb.

edit on 4-8-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
It's not surprising that there are many faked ancient artifacts considering how much you could sell them for.

This site displays some Fake Egyptian antiquities, some of them look pretty authentic. Buyer Beware:

www.antiquitiesonline.co.uk...

In the OP article, on image 6 of 6, even the owner thinks they are replicas. They only mystery left is who, if anyone, is wrapped up like a mummy

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Yes I agree with all. The "Box" looks too modern in the joints etc. The pictographs are too modern and not of an ancient style.
I'll go with the obsession of Europe, England and USA, with Egypt in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Wasnt Germany suppose to be big in the occult, for the well to do, people. The Vril society, the Thule society, the Nazis, all purported to be obsessed with the supernatural....The time of Houdini etc.

Some sort of prop for an act or some such, I would think.

Wouldnt it have been checked by experts by now?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

has anyone bothered to unwrap it, or is there another way to find if its authentic, are the face masks made of chalk or what, was there any tests done on these items. and where are they now. back in the attic or did a museum get in touch... I don't understand why no one seems to know anything about these, I mean you to in your attic and pull out old dusty boxes and find this lot, wouldn't you call some experts as soon as you got over the shock... very suspicious

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

That is a aspect yes, but what could be relevant also is the systematic *cough* repossessing of art and all kinds of stuff around Europe leading up to WW2..

From wiki - (en.wikipedia.org...)
Plundering occurred from 1933 until the end of World War II, particularly by military units known as the Kunstschutz, although most plunder was acquired during the war. In addition to lucre, such as silver and currency, cultural items of great significance were stolen, including paintings, ceramics, books, and religious treasures. Although most of these items were recovered by the Allies immediately following the war, many more are still missing.

So it is absolutely possible for exciting things to turn up, in attics in Germany.....
Who knows.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Modern fake look at the images on the inner lid - they repeat.....

Wrappings too new

Etc

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Arms are not wrapped with the torso....clothe wrapping appears to be cotton.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
According the article they are going to take mummy for X-ray by archaeologist. When i first saw the images i also thought its propably a fake and fabric has not same tone of darkening as i have seen in Louvre

In Louvre there are millions of visitors in a year so even the mummy is under glass there are propably a lot of pigment dirt from the visitors. Anyway what fascinates is that the man who achieved this mummy or whatever it is, is a german soldier who didn´t talk about the war or his history, after 1950 brings the "artifact" to his home. So maybe this is a piece from nazi archeology. For nazis archeology was a important propaganda tool and Hitler was fascinated of egyptology. If this artifact is loot from war times logistically the transport box should be easily transferred from point A to point B.

It looks rather new i also thought this is a circus piece. Anyway it would be intresting to know what they can find out of this.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Its not authentic. The box at least is likely 20th century.
Thats said, Ancient Egyptian treasures have been found stuffed in odd places. For Downton Abbey fans, Highclere castle is the setting for that show, but also the Victorian gothic castle is seat of the earls of Carnarvon, the 5th earl who co-discovered the tomb of Tutankhamen with Howard Carter.

Sotheby's to produce a new inventory of the valuables that fill every room at Highclere. He also" called upon his father's retired butler, Robert Taylor, to help.

"That appears to be everything," Porchester said to Taylor as they came to the end of the long task in July, 1987.

"Yes, my lord," Taylor replied, "except for the Egyptian stuff."

The "Egyptian stuff" turned out to be an extraordinary collection of antiquities that fills the gaps in the complex story of Howard Carter, Tutankhamen and the fifth earl.

Taylor led Porchester to the doors between Highclere's drawing room and smoking room. The doors were separated by the one-meter (three-foot) thickness of the wall, into which were set two cupboards as deep as a man's arm. Crammed into the cupboards were the finds: metal objects and beads that had been carefully packed in old cigarette tins and boxes, labeled in Carter's handwriting; larger pieces were individually wrapped in cotton and tissue paper.

www.saudiaramcoworld.com...

video of the display of objects
news.discovery.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
ok ... i looked at this

there are a number of oddities

there are new kingdom (onwards) images.. normally found on stone walls and stone (graite etc) coffins
but here its on a wooden coffin

the "coffin texts" here,,, i have not seen before in egypt....also the upper image on the inner lid... has half of it cut off as it dissaprears behind the frame...

lame

also...the images on the inner lid are not what they would normally have ....normaly it would be dedicated to the goddes Nut... although i do admit, here there are image of Sekhmet (lioness) and Amentet (lady with wings), which are both patrons of Nut

but definatly not an ancient egyptian... i would say its 20th century... ancient egypt really got to the atlantean wannabe egyptian germans last century

peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join