It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This gamble on carbon and the climate could trigger a new financial crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

This gamble on carbon and the climate could trigger a new financial crisis

www.theguardian.com

There is little evidence that institutional investors have recognised that they are sitting on a carbon-asset timebomb.

At a time when governments are supposedly preparing for a global climate change deal that will cut carbon emissions, energy multinationals are investing in carbon assets like there's no tomorrow.

Put bluntly, either we're heading for a climate catastrophe, or the carbon asset bubble will go the way of sub-prime mortgage stock.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Another GFC caused by an exploding bubble? This might just be the one to tip us over the edge. The bull# (sub-prime)mortgage bubble nearly did the world financial industry in, but the governments committed to unsustainable and historic levels of debt to keep the system going just a few more years. It seems that we have been riding a on the surface of a carbon based energy bubble for a while now, when this bursts (thanks to behind the scenes manipulating for carbon taxes and restrictions) then there really is nothing to save it.

www.theguardian.com

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The deal is redistributive pollution the 'rich' folks buy all up those credits, pollute more than the little guys, and creates the GWC equivalent of GSA's.

What could possibly go wrong?

They never learn rinse and repeat stupidity that creates a new more powerful lobby industry and politicians get paid more $$.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Greetings,

Al, the buffoon, Gore, his handlers, and every Democrat alive, blame US Citizens for causing man-made global warming. If man-made global warming exists, or is going to exist, why not look to the real causes, Brazil and Communist China?. China has admitted their emissions, Brazilians are systemically destroying the Amazon jungle.

Why not suggest to Al Gore to go to Brazil and admonish their government to stop the destruction of the Amazon jungle? He won the Noble Peace prize, Brazilians have no choice but to listen and obey.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cinrad

Another GFC caused by an exploding bubble? This might just be the one to tip us over the edge. The bull# (sub-prime)mortgage bubble nearly did the world financial industry in, but the governments committed to unsustainable and historic levels of debt to keep the system going just a few more years. It seems that we have been riding a on the surface of a carbon based energy bubble for a while now, when this bursts (thanks to behind the scenes manipulating for carbon taxes and restrictions) then there really is nothing to save it.

www.theguardian.com

and what is a wonderful way to collect these debts but to start a big war between those who owe the debts

edit on 2-8-2013 by jvm222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The carbon credit scam has beem designed to destroy the world economy and at the same time replace it.

Enter the mark of the beast. The number of the beast is 666. It is also the number of carbon as it has 6 protons, 6 nuetrons, and 6 electrons.

You will be paid and pay in CC's (carbon credits). If you refuse to take up the carbon based economy you will not be able to buy or sell. (Revelation 13v17).

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adonsa
Greetings,

Al, the buffoon, Gore, his handlers, and every Democrat alive, blame US Citizens for causing man-made global warming. If man-made global warming exists, or is going to exist, why not look to the real causes, Brazil and Communist China?. China has admitted their emissions, Brazilians are systemically destroying the Amazon jungle.

Why not suggest to Al Gore to go to Brazil and admonish their government to stop the destruction of the Amazon jungle? He won the Noble Peace prize, Brazilians have no choice but to listen and obey.

Do you think the problem lies with Democrats, China, and Brazil, or Al Gore? Maybe the large carbon footprint Americans have when compared to the 3rd world?

Me personally, I believe that consumerism is the problem. If people stopped buying manufactured "stuff", would the emissions stop?

The US corporations have moved overseas to China as well. If they were polluting in the USA would that be better?

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

In a world that is all for profits what can you expect coming from the profiteers of everything. This corrupted elites will profits from their own mothers and grandmothers if they had the opportunity.

Is no boundaries when it comes to the corruption within the elites groups that is what their wealth is all about gambling.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Hi Philippines
Thanks for replying.

If man-made global warming ever becomes a reality, then factors other than Amazon rain forest destruction may need to be considered.

In light of points you raised, Walmart shoppers come to mind, given that Walmart requires it's vendors to manufacture products outside the US. I should have added Walmart shoppers to the list of offenders.

Al Gore and his obedient followers place blame solely on US citizens, for a perceived problem. But Amazon Jungle destruction isn't perceived, it's a reality today. Brazilian timber industry transformation of the Amazon Jungle into a desert, will absolutely degrade global air quality, and Al Gore couldn't care less. Al Gore needs to brow-beat the Brazilian government to halt this destruction.

Thanks again.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Adonsa

But Amazon Jungle destruction isn't perceived, it's a reality today. Brazilian timber industry transformation of the Amazon Jungle into a desert, will absolutely degrade global air quality, and Al Gore couldn't care less. Al Gore needs to brow-beat the Brazilian government to halt this destruction.

I'm 47 and can remember in our geography class in high school, our teacher told us that if the Rain Forrest was ever destroyed, the ramifications would effect every one globally and in a very bad way.
It would alter the eco system.......and that was back in the 80's.

Not to mention many vaccines are made from rare plants from there and if they all get destroyed, well.......

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Seems to me that carbon taxing is probably one of the most questionable schemes I have ever heard of. The simple fact of the matter is this:

Either, there are technologies which will allow vastly industrial nations to produce power without producing carbon, cheaply enough to be at all viable, or there are not. If there are, the penalty should be applied to industries and nations which do not take them up, because there would be no good reason not to take them up.

If there are not technologies which can, in a reliable manner, service the needs of industry and commerce, without causing carbon deposits, then to penalise a nation or organisation for producing that by product is insane, and basically theft.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
All of this talk of a "global financial crisis" really makes me question our intelligence as a species. We're following a path towards destruction because of a system of colored paper with numbers on it that we artificially created and valued. At any time we could simply drop it and save ourselves the catastrophe, but instead we treat it as if it is some law of nature that we can't separate from.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Either, there are technologies which will allow vastly industrial nations to produce power without producing carbon, cheaply enough to be at all viable, or there are not.

Are there technologies available to harness energy sources without producing carbon? No, at least not with widespread availability. Can there be? Yes! Harnessing solar energy, for example, produces no carbon, as far as I know. I don't believe wind does either. These are two limitless energy sources we are not using for the simple fact that they can't be owned by anyone. In other words, we're halting our advancement as a species and destroying our planet for the sake of an artificial value system.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines
Maybe the large carbon footprint Americans have when compared to the 3rd world?

you can actually even THINK that living in the Philippines? WOW.
in all honesty i have to think "3rd world" countries have a MUCH BIGGER "carbon footprint". and it has NOTHING to do with manufacturing, or even things like vehicles spewing out exhaust for that matter. i have NEVER experienced SMOG in North America, like i have in Manila. not just smog but SOOT everywhere coating everything, turning white and grey buildings BLACK. heck a lot of people here may only have a light bulb or two, NO refrigerator, a small tv or radio, heck most DON'T even HAVE HOT WATER or if the do it is limited to the shower, and heating is not even needed. so why SO MUCH SMOG? see the MAIN POLLUTERS are NOT things like factories and vehicles but the fact MOST PEOPLE COOK ON COAL, or WOOD FIRES in fact unless you are on a major roadway, all you smell constantly is FIRE/COAL SMOKE. this is much like i have always read of descriptions of LONDON many years ago where even SNOW was turned black from all the SOOT in the air. in fact "industrialized nations" have likely done far more in LESSENING the POLLUTION and CARBON EMISSIONS then they currently PUT OUT, just due to most heating/cooking/hot water, not USING COAL OR WOOD FIRES.

even OUT in the PROVINCES (or as most North Americans would say out in the country), there tends to be SMOG, especially around TOWNS (where more people are). out in the provinces not only do you have SMOG from COOKING, but added on to THAT you have all the burning of rice plants and chaff (other plant materials from other crops), once it has been separated. HUGE BONFIRES EVERYWHERE. driving through it seems that you are SURROUNDED by fires, everywhere you can see there seems to be more and more fires as far as you can see, sending smoke billowing up into the air. and yet again you smell fire everywhere.

and you somehow THINK there is more pollution in North America?
once i am back in North America, i finally stop spitting up BLACK PHLEGM from all the SOOT IN THE AIR.

Me personally, I believe that consumerism is the problem. If people stopped buying manufactured "stuff", would the emissions stop?

easy answer....NOPE.

The US corporations have moved overseas to China as well. If they were polluting in the USA would that be better?

yeah i really feel bad for the Chinese not only do they have all the smog created from coal and wood fires and such but then the ALSO have a lot of manufacturing, with far less stringent emissions control ON TOP of it. no wonder their smog is so bad, they have the worst of everything when it comes to smog.

if the SAME manufacturing was done in the us it would put out FAR LESS pollution than they do in China, since China doesn't seem to care at all about pollution, so i guess it would be better as it would be LESS POLLUTING.

new topics

top topics

join