It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charlie Rangel: Tea Party Is ‘Same Group’ Of ‘White Cr---rs’ Who Fought Civil Rights

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit, your lack of knowledge and/or disingenuousness regarding modern US political history is truly astounding. Ever hear of the Dixiecrats? They were the southern Democrats who switched to the Republican party because of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Why do you think they left the Democratic party? Because the party leadership, including the president, was behind this bill.

Strom Thurmond, who raped his family's 16-year-old maid when he was 22 and begat a daughter by her, whom he never acknowledged publicly, was one of these good 'ol boy Dixiecrat Senators who switched parties in 1964.

Yeah, I know conservatives and Republicans like to bring up this ridiculous talking point about how many Democrats voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act in order to try to show that Democrats haven't been for civil rights, but they always fail to mention that all the odious Democrats who voted against it switched to the Republican Party immediately afterwards and many remained in good standing in the GOP (and re-elected) for years after.

Who pushed this bill through? It was the Democratic president LBJ, who predicted when this bill was passed that it would alienate the South from the Democratic party for 20 years. He underestimated the racism in the South: it's now 50 years later and the South remains the bastion of the Republican party (I'm talking about federal offices).

It was Nixon who originated The Southern Strategy for winning the White House for the Republicans and it has been continued for this purpose as well as to expand Republican representation/power in congress.

As for what Rangel said, yes, he is suggesting that the Tea Party rank and file are of the same ilk as the crackers that fought desegregation in the south; however, in his statement he is not calling present day Tea Partiers crackers per se. But yes, he is talking about the reactionary rightwing, and it was this same demographic that was part of the white southern establishment that fought desegregation and voting rights.

Sorry, but I don't buy the feigned, self-righteous indignation over this issue. The Tea Party and its GOP fellow travelers have been instrumental in the spate of recent bills regarding voter id and other restrictive measures to limit voting by various demographic groups that tend not to vote Republican. Rangel is absolutely right on this one. Yes, he can be an airbag, but he is dead-on in this matter.

edit on 3-8-2013 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It is a sad day in the USA when we hold our professional football players to a higher standard then our elected officials.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Unlike humans. Racism is colorblind and it's literally in every nation.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrInquisitive

Wrabbit, your lack of knowledge and/or disingenuousness regarding modern US political history is truly astounding. Ever hear of the Dixiecrats? They were the southern Democrats who switched to the Republican party because of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Why do you think they left the Democratic party? Because the party leadership, including the president, was behind this bill.

Strom Thurmond, who raped his family's 16-year-old maid when he was 22 and begat a daughter by her, whom he never acknowledged publicly, was one of these good 'ol boy Dixiecrat Senators who switched parties in 1964.

Yeah, I know conservatives and Republicans like to bring up this ridiculous talking point about how many Democrats voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act in order to try to show that Democrats haven't been for civil rights, but they always fail to mention that all the odious Democrats who voted against it switched to the Republican Party immediately afterwards and many remained in good standing in the GOP (and re-elected) for years after.

Who pushed this bill through? It was the Democratic president LBJ, who predicted when this bill was passed that it would alienate the South from the Democratic party for 20 years. He underestimated the racism in the South: it's now 50 years later and the South remains the bastion of the Republican party (I'm talking about federal offices).

It was Nixon who originated The Southern Strategy for winning the White House for the Republicans and it has been continued for this purpose as well as to expand Republican representation/power in congress.

As for what Rangel said, yes, he is suggesting that the Tea Party rank and file are of the same ilk as the crackers that fought desegregation in the south; however, in his statement he is not calling present day Tea Partiers crackers per se. But yes, he is talking about the reactionary rightwing, and it was this same demographic that was part of the white southern establishment that fought desegregation and voting rights.

Sorry, but I don't buy the feigned, self-righteous indignation over this issue. The Tea Party and its GOP fellow travelers have been instrumental in the spate of recent bills regarding voter id and other restrictive measures to limit voting by various demographic groups that tend not to vote Republican. Rangel is absolutely right on this one. Yes, he can be an airbag, but he is dead-on in this matter.

edit on 3-8-2013 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

Wow!

ATS really needs a "round of applause" icon!

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

Still racism. To call even one white person a cracker, despite them being on some opposing political party, it's a blanket statement for racism. In order for a person to even be able to do that, requires hate in their hearts.

Words of wisdom from Jesus Christ:

Matt 15:18-19

18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.

You cannot fight hate with hate and win. Hate will only be proliferated and reciprocated, as is the case we are seeing today.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
I wonder what Rangel's point really is ?

He himself is a tax cheater, slum landlord, etc.

Maybe it's just sour grapes because he has been exposed and censored.

Maybe he's losing his mind.

Stirring up racial tensions is dangerous.

But then again, he's probably campaigning for the 2014 elections.

He takes orders from somebody somewhere.

The Democrats don't have much sensible accomplishments to campaign with.

Here's to ya Charlie

Actually I think the democrats can run with
"Hey look, we are not Repubicans" and win.
And as far as accomplishments, how bout still having a country
and stock market after Bush and friends got drunk an took the wheel?
Oh yeah health care, gays open in the military,
One less war, etc etc.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Yeah, ol' Charlie is a political animal and that gives animals a bad name... but I'm sure he's had experience with racists and might know how to spot one.

However, what people seem to be missing is when you are focused on race and defending your stance on race issues... then you are a racist (of varying degree).

Charlie is possibly a racist. Racists come in all races.

The thing is, White folks have had the power position for so long that their racism stands out and thus minority racists are given more of a pass... the underdog syndrome... not that that is correct or not, just the climate.

I believe some white folks are so nervous because they know how they think and act when in power and are concerned the scary "other" will act the same way once they gain power.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by MoonMoon
I object to the constant use of the word cracker to describe white people in this thread. It's racially offensive. please remove it.

Get over it.

Say that to a black and they flip out.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

You really don't read a thing I write sometimes, I've come to see that pretty clearly. You skim it, find what you can immediately go on the offensive with and pretty well skip anything else in the rush to write your next attack piece against me. Every time I see certain folks in my reply list..I know there is a directly personal attack waiting to be read and your first sentence delivered what was expected.

I'm going to simply say this. You'd do well to drop those intensely partisan and outright hateful glasses you view the entire world by. I said both parties ...that is Democrats and Republicans for those not reading everything before a reply. They both helped pass Civil Rights. They both fought like hell to BLOCK civil rights. Republicans were mean, evil bastards? Yeah... Right.

You do recognize who that is, marching with everyone else...yes? Many here spent the better part of a year trying to utterly destroy his son. It shouldn't take but a second to place the name. Now I'm sure the reply will simply be something along the lines of questioning sincerity or genuine intent....because a Conservative man could never have actually believed in and marched with black folks to support Civil Rights. (gasp) Never!

The fact is real basic on this and we can start pulling the ugliest examples of lynchings, murder and the worst of humanity by BOTH SIDES of politics through the 50's and 60's to illustrate the point....if that's actually required here.

You've assumed I made a direct attack on Democrats...when in reality, again, my WHOLE point was that, in the end, both parties had their hateful little trolls, even then, and both parties had their major issues with bigotry. They still do, and it's proven on a daily basis. In this case, it happened to be Charlie Rangel and his position with seniority make it notable and worthy of a thread, IMO. In other cases, it's been some of the top of the Republican Party over past years.

Hate is a truly bipartisan thing. So is racism.......so is trolling, as it happens.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Educate me please. Who is marching in that photo?

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by suz62

lol.. I knew someone who wasn't in the middle of the battles and deep in the trenches of the partisan warfare last year would ask. Oh well... The recognition factor with a couple other folks is not a big enough point to play games with, so I'll be happy to explain. The man in the photo is George Romney.

George Wilcken Romney (July 8, 1907 – July 26, 1995) was an American businessman and Republican Party politician. He was chairman and president of American Motors Corporation from 1954 to 1962, the 43rd Governor of Michigan from 1963 to 1969, and the United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development from 1969 to 1973. He is the father of former Governor of Massachusetts and 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney and was the husband of former Michigan U.S. Senate candidate Lenore Romney.
(Wikipedia Source - Basic Bio)

He was by far, not the only Conservative/Republican that was deep in civil rights and on the side for passing it. Plenty of Dems were too, to be entirely fair and accurate here. Which, of course, is the whole point.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

George Romney would be booed off the stage at any Republican event today. Today, George Romney would be a Democrat.

That is the entire point everyone is trying to show you.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

Yes.. I got that and I've heard that each and every time the same folks have repeated it like a Mantra across countless threads over the last year or more. Really..I get that side of the debate. I simply and without qualification, disagree and believe that position is faulty, without much support OR basis to make race a partisan issue.

Race divides this nation enough and as much by the deliberate efforts and actions of both parties in Washington as any personal issues. The last thing needed is to mix the bitter bitter divisions of party politics in the MIDDLE of the race issues as if the two are inseparable...which they most certainly are not, outside of those with a determined agenda.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Charlie Rangel raped the House of Representatives, and the 13th Congressional District of New York repeatedly, for 30 years.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Not to change the topic,,, put Were do you get your information? From a Blog?

Over the years there has been a concerted effort, on behalf of many, to rewrite political history, especially when it comes to the Democrat Party. These rewrites, half-truths or urban legends misrepresent historical fact; and unfortunately have lead astray countless numbers of people through politically charged falsehoods. One such legend, which seeks to rewrite history, is that of the Dixiecrats. As the legend goes, those Dixiecrats who broke from the Democrat party in 1948 all joined the Republican Party (Click names to see the articles by Roland Martin and Clarence Page).

According to Page’s reconstruction of history, Goldwater votes against the 1964 Civil rights act; and it takes moderate republicans, led by Everett Dirksen, to ensure that the act becomes law over the obstruction of the Southern segregationists. What Page fails to mention, is that Goldwater and other conservatives supported the 1957 and 1960 Civil rights acts.

During the Philadelphia nominating convention of the Democrat Party in 1948 a number of disgruntled southern segregationist democrats stormed out in protest. They were upset about planks in the new platform that supported Civil Rights.[1] They left to form a new Party called the State’s Rights Democratic Party also known as the Dixiecrats. Segregationist like George Wallace and other loyalists, although upset, did not bolt from the party; but instead supported another candidate against Harry Truman. According to Kari Frederickson, the goal for the Dixiecrats “was to win the 127 electoral-college votes of the southern states, which would prevent either Republican Party nominee Thomas Dewy or Democrat Harry Truman from winning the 266 electoral votes necessary for election. Under this scenario, the contest would be decided by the House of Representatives, where southern states held 11 of the 48 votes, as each state would get only one vote if no candidate received a majority of electors' ballots. In a House election, Dixiecrats believed that southern Democrats would be able to deadlock the election until one of the parties had agreed to drop its civil rights plank.”[2]

www.freedomsjournal.net...

You can go to Wiki and get the same information.

TextIn the 1930s, the New Deal under President Franklin D. Roosevelt, a realignment occurred. Much of the Democratic Party in the South shifted towards economic intervention. Civil rights for blacks was not on the New Deal agenda, as Southerners controlled the key positions of power in Congress. Jim Crow was indirectly challenged as two million blacks served in the military during World War II, receiving equal pay in segregated units, and equally entitled to veterans' benefits. The Republican Party, nominating Governor of New York Thomas E. Dewey in 1944 and 1948, supported civil rights legislation that the Southern Democrats in Congress almost unanimously opposed.[5][6]

en.wikipedia.org...

Needless to say,,, Rangel wouldn't know his @ss from a Hole in the Ground!

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
cracka ass crackas

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I thought that man looked somewhat familiar.

No, I engaged in no warfare of any kind last year.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

I remember the day McGovern was shot,,,there was actually a sigh of relief,,felt,,well by me anyway.

Oh and im Canadian and maybe this was the first week we got our T.V

McGovern was shot,,,ya live right there on Tv,,honest mom,,

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Charlie, we have a question for ya,,, what you been up-to we haven't found out about yet?

After the Censure by the Ethic Committee, we see that Pelosi didn't Drawn The Swamp!
You're still there.

Charlie,,,, You have nothing to Worry about,,, You'll be remembered if not by name, at least by your racist remarks.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by guohua
Charlie, we have a question for ya,,, what you been up-to we haven't found out about yet?

The only downfall to a politician it seems is an affair.......

You can do all the illegal stuff you want but never, ever mess around on your wife.
Not even 'sexting'.......

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join